No tool to take locking wheel nuts off? Help!

Why don't you just do what I said?

Because maybe;

- He doesn't know anybody with an Audi
- even if anybody nearby has one, they may not be happy lending their key out
- it may not even fit anyway

It's not just a case of 'job done' really is it.

I think everybody has said it's worth a try, but for the last time, not all Audi locking wheel nut keys are the same.

That's a myth....

You lot amaze me.

Continue to struggle with your lives whilst people offer help, it's fine with me. I quite enjoy watching people have a hard time, especially when the answer is so easy.

This guy has spent time, and money following other people's advice. And he still hasn't fixed the problem. When what I have suggested is free, has a high possibility of working and takes minutes.

Just man up and go find somebody with an Audi and see if their locking wheel key fits. If you were local you could use one of the four keys I have, two sourced from scrappies and two from old cars of mine where I have fitted spacers and done away with the bolts.

All of which are interchangeable.

I don't care what you say, and I don't give a **** how many times you say it. Because I'm not talking to you Tooks, I'm telling the OP how to fix his problem.

Again.

No way I didn't know that . But there are two really common ones . I can't believe this has got this far . Common sense must not come into it .

No way I didn't know that . But there are two really common ones . I can't believe this has got this far . Common sense must not come into it .

The common one is ABC6, a 17 spline locking wheel key. They also do 19, 21, 15 etc etc. Count the splines, order the tool to fit.

They are all the same, if it has 17 splines, it's a 17 spline tool. Those Audi wheel nuts only changed the number of splines, not the location or frequency of the splines, they either had 17 equally spaced splines, 15 equally spaced splines, etc etc etc.

So all 17 spline Audi locking wheel keys are EXACTLY the same.

As such, I cannot see how this is a difficult problem. Assuming you can count to 21?

You count the splines, Google the number of splines followed by "Audi locking wheel key" and then you buy whatever comes up first.

Let me google that for you

Last edited:
Reactions: audiholic ste
As such, I cannot see how this is a difficult problem. Assuming you can count to 21?

I have to call a mate to count to 21 successfully, I run out of fingers and toes ;-)

Btw take a chill pill dude.....I posted up a solution which is a less detailed one as yours some 5 days ago now and still no reply back to whether this has been tried/tested

Who decided to go to Halfords and spend money on a tool that didn't even fit/work :banghead:

Reactions: 16Klappe
Who decided to go to Halfords and spend money on a tool that didn't even fit/work :banghead:

Steady, all........and Kwistof, no, you are wrong, I didn't 'spend money', I took the tool back and got my money back, which was always my intention anyway so no loss whatsoever as Halfords is on the way to work.

As for 16Klappe, mate you really need to calm down. It's no major problem, there is no immediate rush. Appreciate your help but just calm it, son.

BTW, I thought the following was wonderful (and true):

'- He doesn't know anybody with an Audi
- even if anybody nearby has one, they may not be happy lending their key out
- it may not even fit anyway

It's not just a case of 'job done' really is it. '

You lot amaze me.

Continue to struggle with your lives whilst people offer help, it's fine with me. I quite enjoy watching people have a hard time, especially when the answer is so easy.

This guy has spent time, and money following other people's advice. And he still hasn't fixed the problem. When what I have suggested is free, has a high possibility of working and takes minutes.

Just man up and go find somebody with an Audi and see if their locking wheel key fits. If you were local you could use one of the four keys I have, two sourced from scrappies and two from old cars of mine where I have fitted spacers and done away with the bolts.

I don't care what you say, and I don't give a **** how many times you say it. Because I'm not talking to you Tooks, I'm telling the OP how to fix his problem.

Again.

Edit; What I really wanted to say removed for the sake of forum harmony. Learn a lot about folks by their posts....

What I will say though, first you post any Audi key will sort it 'job done', but later post detail about how there are indeed different splined keys out there. At least you've confirmed what others and I were trying to say. Which is it, make your mind up?

I know you've said you're not talking to me, which just for the record, suits me fine.

Last edited:
Lol this thread has become entertaining. Lots of dramas. Wheel still stuck on the car?

Lol this thread has become entertaining. Lots of dramas. Wheel still stuck on the car?

:yes: Ha ha, oh yes there certainly is drama aplenty isn't there? :p

Yep, wheel still stuck on but Im calm about it. A mechanic friend will be replacing the bolts tomorrow.

However, after re-reading 16Klappe's 'opinions', I can't help but think.....what a nobber. I think what really 'got' me was the know-all attitude he had with his comments of 'Just man up and go find somebody with an Audi and see if their locking wheel key fits'. Just for the record, 16Klappe, the reasons your comments weren't the be all and end all, are:
  1. I live in a rural area and the nearest neighbour is three miles away.
  2. I don't know of one single person in the nearest village that owns an Audi
  3. I'm not going to go further afield and knock on any Audi-owner randomers door to ask if they happen to have an Audi locking key that they can lend me, a stranger, for a night.

So manning-up has nothing to do with it. Fool.

BTW- 'I don't care what you say, and I don't give a **** how many times you say it. Because I'm not talking to you Tooks'? Real mature, man.

Reactions: Artimus and VAG-Slag
Hallelujah!!!!! The bolts are out!!!!

Reactions: CazzaVR and VAG-Slag
Thank you ALL for your brilliant words of advice....and some witty lines too!! Lol

I hear you Holic, with a little research and the right info it's a simple science. I just counted the number of grooves and stopped at 19. Was just wondering, as I just bought a brand new set of front d's a p's for my mk 1V Golf, do you reckon the will be a good fit for my A3, I won't know until I attempt it but I don't see why not?

Cheers for the info, as I just needed clarity, as opposed to running up to Halfords to buy the wrong key on an empty assurance lol.

Be well.

Guys, just throwing in my 2 pence worth, 'the right' information is a priceless commodity and things are always a breeze for those that know and where our cars are concerned sometimes we can become so desperate for a fix that we make ill advised choices in order to seek quick fixes.
Whilst some are certainly more knowledgeable than others, I believe in the mantra that every day is a school day in that there is always something new to learn. I have found a lot of people really helpful, in saying that I think it helps to remember that we all pretty much start from a position of knowing nothing, and it helps build the sites profile if people are respectful which in turn builds the pool of people who can make meaningful contributions that can be invaluable to all who use it, as ultimately we are all simply trying to get our vehicles to work to their optimum.

Thanks again and be well all.

Thank the maker! :lol:
Hi Buddy,

Your model looks like a 1.6 8L, so inorder to make this purchase idiot proof, I was just wondering if your model uses a 19 spline socket for security wheel nut removal, as I am near certain that is what mine requires.

Cheers
David

You lot amaze me.

Again.
Crazy, that you say that you acquired keys from the scrappies, as I was there yesterday and went through every audi car boot in the yard and never found a single key of any description, last model some 14 years old so no surprises I couldn't find one, boohoo.

Be well.

I think you might be talking to yourself bud; this thread is 4 years old

If you take it to a tyre replacement centre they sell you a standard set and split the old ones off for around £20

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

if they still have the slow puncture after 4 years - and haven't got the wheels off, they are bad people.

Reactions: andrew_wright, hydro s3 and Alex C
I think you might be talking to yourself bud; this thread is 4 years old
Cheers Alex,

That makes a lot of sense, and it now occurs to me, it was the obvious first question they asked me when I took my golf, and obviously I had one, but they were looking at making money out of lost keys, as many lose them. Most grateful buddy but I just bought a 19 spline yesterday.

Cheers for offering a solution, but the weird thing is I just bought the car and the tyres look virtually brand new, which tells me the previous owner must have had the key, and probably why it never occured to me to go that route.

Thanks again.

I have noticed in the past that some tyre change people just use their own keys sometimes, you would of thought they would do the honourable thing and tell the car owner that it is missing and offer to put a standard bolt, nut etc on until the owner buys a new set of locking bolts.

Absolutely agree Stuart, but what we learn is that common sense is not as common as we think needless to add the knock on effect an oversight as silly as that can be, and i've just had my 19 bolt dropped through the door as I type. Just going to check it fits, yippee.