No sound from front speakers!

Chrismawa

Reaction score
Trying to fit my Kenwood CD player. I have sound from the rest but none from the front. The adapter takes front and rear from preouts to the stock connector but looking at the stock connector there's no wires where the front connect to!

The adapter takes front and rear from preouts to the stock connector but looking at the stock connector there's no wires where the front connect to!
That's because unless you have Bose the front speakers are connected directly to the headunit - which has an internal amp for them. Rear speakers are always driven by an external amp in the boot - whether you have Bose or not.

If your new headunit doesn't have a built-in amp then you'll need to add an amp for the front speakers.

Cheers for the reply mate but I'm sorted. Made my own harness up taking the front speakers feed from the headunits speaker out wires and the rears coming from pre outs.

1 small problem still though. The fronts are louder than the rears. Any idea why?

Cheers for the reply mate but I'm sorted. Made my own harness up taking the front speakers feed from the headunits speaker out wires and the rears coming from pre outs.

1 small problem still though. The fronts are louder than the rears. Any idea why?

Two possible reasons (maybe a combination of both):

1) the preout voltage level from your Kenwood is lower than the preout voltage level from the OE headunit so it's driving the rear speakers weaker.

2) the internal amp in the Kenwood is higher power than in the OE headunit so it's driving the front speakers harder.

Cheers for that mate, yeah reading around and those 2 seem to be the issues. I've adjusted the fade and base settings on the HU and it sounds decent now :)