No smoking option

SilureMark

Reaction score
I ticked the option for non smoking pack, but on seeing the video the dealer made of my new S3 I am collecting on Friday, it looked like it had a cigarette lighter! Not happy!!! I have asked the question, but the rep I am dealing with is on holiday until Thursday - can anyone with the no smoking option please post a picture of their interior so I can see what it should look like? I assume there would be a 12v socket in place of the lighter? I'll blow my stack if they've cocked this up ... the rest of the car looked flippin awesome :o.k:

Just swap the lighter out for a 12v plastic cap? It's not a big deal.

One dealer I spoke to suggested that you were better not going for the non-smoking option as you get to keep the lidded container that sits in one of the cup holders and they would swap out the cigarette lighter for a 12 v socket plastic cap

Whe I picked my car up, firs thing I thought about that container was "great it's an Audi coffe cup", then realised it's an ashtray. Anyone know if they do a thermos type cup to sit in there?

I ticked the option for non smoking pack, but on seeing the video the dealer made of my new S3 I am collecting on Friday, it looked like it had a cigarette lighter! Not happy!!! I have asked the question, but the rep I am dealing with is on holiday until Thursday - can anyone with the no smoking option please post a picture of their interior so I can see what it should look like? I assume there would be a 12v socket in place of the lighter? I'll blow my stack if they've cocked this up ... the rest of the car looked flippin awesome :o.k:

I have the non smoking pack as well. I think you'll find the cover looks like lighter but hasn't got the element.

Reactions: SilureMark
The cigarette lighter in the A3 I had yesterday was all black, but the non-smoking pack 12V cover in mine has a chrome ring. There are actually changes other than the ashtray/socket cover when you spec non smoking pack as well, and the ashtray is easily bought off ebay for cheap, so worth going for the non-smoking pack if you are going to be using it as a socket.

I believe the wiring to the socket is upgraded to a higher current capability if you select the non-smoking package (as I did). I possibly wouldn't have bothered if I'd known I would have lost the useful chrome ashtray thing. :)

I went for the non smoking pack as thought the ashtray spoiled the look and symmetery of the illuminated cup holders. I also bought a LED Audi torch to put in the 12V socket and I believe it will also work/charge in the standard cigarette lighter socket

Audi LED Torch Light - Cigarette Socket/12V | eBay

Attachments

• $T2eC16R,!)IFId-o7kTjBS,jqelZtg~~60_12.jpg
    $T2eC16R,!)IFId-o7kTjBS,jqelZtg~~60_12.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 654
I have the non smoking pack as well. I think you'll find the cover looks like lighter but hasn't got the element.

Thanks everyone.

It looked like a lighter in the video, so I assumed it was. I think it does matter - I ordered it that way, they should get it right. If it is a fag lighter, they'll be the ones sorting out a replacement, not me!

And.... it probably won't latch - if you tried to put a cigarette lighter into it (different socket, as well as different current rating).

I have the standard smoking pack - replaced the lighter with the dummy chrome plug, and then tried to insert the lighter into the rear seat socket. It wouldn't latch.

Haven't tried it with the boot socket yet ;)

Reactions: cemerson
As above, it's not exactly the same, there is different wiring in there to cope with potentially higher electrical loads I believe.
I know, it was me that made that point earlier. :) That's why I said "essentially". ;)

The only point I was trying to make really was that on a dealer's video, it would be easy to see the 12V socket and mistake it for a cigarette lighter.

Reactions: cemerson
Can anyone substantiate the uprated wiring claim? I've seen it in this thread a few times but the Audi catalogue makes absolutely no mention of it and I'm somewhat sceptical; I'm actually ordered as 'smokers', even though I dont smoke, but if there is genuinely an improvement to non smokers I might change.

Try doing a search on this forum under the names of F1nny and Anarch The manual also states that "the cigarette lighter should only be used for short periods of time as a power source for electrical equipment. Please use the electrical sockets in the vehicle when connecting equipment for longer periods."

Why would anyone spec the non smoking pack.

So you gain a tiny plastic cover, but you lose a pukka Audi branded container

I use mine to hold coins, chewing gum etc. Keeps the interior tidy.

No brainer!

No brainer!

Have you read the rest of the thread? The cigarette lighter can't be used as an electrical socket for extended periods, and the ashtray is easily bought off ebay (or got for free off the dealer if you ask most of the time).

No brainer!

The only thing I use my ashtray for though is putting the towbar key in when I have the towbar fitted...

Reactions: alistairm1 and veeeight
I just dont believe you cant use the cigarette lighter for extended periods. My 1997 primera has a cigarette lighter and I've used satnav off it for 7 hours at a time on long drives. You think the S3 cigarette socket will somehow be more frail?

Satnav and stuff like that is fine. It's high-current stuff like compressors and power inverters which are the problem. You're supposed to be able to pull a constant 10A (120W) from the power socket version.

Reactions: veeeight

No brainer!
Uprated wiring is much harder to retrofit than a cup.

Reactions: Daveotto, cemerson and veeeight
But as the manual states you must use the electrical sockets in the vehicle when connecting equipment for longer periods means they know something you don't. If there was a fire because the wiring was being overloaded then they have covered themselves against any claims.

As for having the cup being a 'no brainer', I think it is all down to personal choice and what you use the car for. As I don't carry around such junk that requires a cup holder, for me, having the non-smoking package is a 'no brainer'....

As far as I remember the socket in the vehicle remains the same, there is no different wiring as the cigarette lighter takes quite a bit of power.

The only difference in a non smoking pack is you get a small plastic losable cover instead of the lighter and don't get the ashtray.

As stated above, several times, that isn't the case. The wiring is different in each case.