No sim installed?

Nick P

Reaction score
Been trying to connect car with Audi connect but keep drawing blank but have noticed that there is no sim slot or signal indicator for a sim (only phone signal) anyone else got no sign of a sim installed? But I do have remote locking access working ok just no in-car mmi Audi connect (service unavailable)
I have tried a lot of the suggestions on here...rebooting mmi did nothing...can't see any mention of data module anywhere...and the right control button does nothing either :sadlike:

pics

Attachments

• 20180619_214548.jpg
    20180619_214548.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3,661
  • 20180620_072712.jpg
    20180620_072712.jpg
    835.9 KB · Views: 1,321
Are you in the uk because your mmi looks like its for another country that doesn't have online services...

Are you in the uk because your mmi looks like its for another country that doesn't have online services...

Stourbridge according to his profile, so a UK car. I can't say I have any answers to help though I'm afraid!

I might be wrong but I thought that even the SD sat nav versions come with a sim slot. I think Nick you may need to take the car into the dealership..

I assumed it was an internal sim, I dont know what the eSIM head unit looks like
It was just the fact that there is no mention of SIM or Data in the menus anywhere
Confused by how the remote locking etc works fine though if its not via a sim card?
Maybe a call to Audi or the dealer then!

The remote locking works through the build in SOS sim, as far as I understand it. The eSIMS head will just have a Sims slot between the two SD cards and there will be an internal one. Can you get to a data plane within MyAudi?
MyAudi

No, says Your vehicle is not connected - because I haven't been able to complete the login

Attachments

• ad.png
    ad.png
    114.3 KB · Views: 1,111
This is my MMI but why does your glove box look different to mine or are my eyes playing me up already?
Glovebox

As far as I can tell, I don't appear to have a sim installed on mine (only had the car a couple of days so still trying to get to grips with it all and figure out what is what) but I can access things like Weather and the football results but when I tried to download the Map Update via the car it gave me an error message which suggested to me that perhaps something is a miss.

It's going to the dealer a week on Saturday so I think I might ask some questions...

I would have thought if you can see the weather and news from the mmi then you have built in sim card. The error with performing a mmi upgrade to the maps may well be down to something else, such as Audi's servers. If you can see a strength bar in the display for the data connection then you have a data connection.
You also could try going to the connection manager in the mmi settings and it should show if it is using the inbuilt card in data connection - connected...

I would have thought if you can see the weather and news from the mmi then you have built in sim card. The error with performing a mmi upgrade to the maps may well be down to something else, such as Audi's servers. If you can see a strength bar in the display for the data connection then you have a data connection.
You also could try going to the connection manager in the mmi settings and it should show if it is using the inbuilt card in data connection - connected...

Thanks - I'll try that when I get back to the car... I suspected it was me as like you say, I definitely have a connection.

As far as I can tell, I don't appear to have a sim installed on mine (only had the car a couple of days so still trying to get to grips with it all and figure out what is what) but I can access things like Weather and the football results but when I tried to download the Map Update via the car it gave me an error message which suggested to me that perhaps something is a miss.

It's going to the dealer a week on Saturday so I think I might ask some questions...
Looking at the second pic, your full name name should be displayed if you've correctly setup your account at www.audi.co.uk/myaudi - at least that what happens when I try to access the same menu on the MMI. Go to www.audi.co.uk/myaudi and make sure all available Audi Connect features are correctly linked, both icons should be green:

image host

If you click on the green icons it should also state that the vehicle is linked and below it myaudi is linked with your vehicle and a number...

If you go into the telephone menu then right click on the wheel you should then be able to scroll down to connection manager.

You should then be able to see data connection or something similar (i cant remember exact wording)... Click that and you should be able to select the internal sim from there...

Thanks. I did manage to update the map directly in the car. I noticed in the menu that there is in fact a sim installed. Going to take a few weeks, maybe months until I figure out the car.

I did notice quite a nice feature, I have an auto and when you stop in traffic if you are gentle on the brake it doesn’t switch off the engine then if you hit it harder the stop/start kicks in. Learning new things upon every drive :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done, any other help you need just ask away. Although I am known for suggesting a good read of the car's manual ;-)

Reactions: NevMan and Daggerit
Only one green icon on myAudi - says click to complete (or similar) but sends me to a page with no obvious way of completing
I have no right click function at all - does nothing (right button nor wheel)
I'm waiting for call back from Hatfield Audi...

Your glovebox one? It looks similar as far as can tell

Reactions: cuke2u
As far as I can tell, I don't appear to have a sim installed on mine (only had the car a couple of days ...

Only had mine last Friday so maybe the latest MMI dont have external sim? But at least youve been able to connect!

Adrian76 does your MMI look like mine?? No SIM slot in between the SD slots...before I start ranting at the dealer

Last edited:
On mine there are two mobile signal strength bars, one for whichever phone is connected via bluetooth and the car's own. Yours (the OP) only shows your phone signal strength. Looks like this on mine;

Signal

Only had mine last Friday so maybe the latest MMI dont have external sim? But at least youve been able to connect!
It'll be connecting through the internal Sim, can you go to the connection manager within the MMI car settings Nick and tell me what's in there...

In all the menus there is no mention of 'SIM' or 'data module' or anything else relevant
And only one signal strength bar

Attachments

• mm.png
    mm.png
    136.1 KB · Views: 1,001
I had my A4 (MY18) delivered less than 2 weeks ago and the MMI definitely has an external SIM card slot:

Image-3.jpg

On mine (with embedded SIM):
SD1 = SD card slot 1 (taken up by Navigation SD card)
SIM = external sim card slot (unused)
SD2 = SD card slot 2 (unused)

I take it you linked your car's VIN to your MyAudi account? Did you also enter the 10 digit key fob code into your MMI? Really weird that you don't have an external SIM card; if that's a balls up by the Audi factory -which is not unheard of - you have every right to get Audi to put that right.

If I was in your shoes, I would take the car to the dealer ASAP and not leave their premises until they fix it. Don't let them fob you off over the phone!!

Last edited:
I take it you linked your car's VIN to your MyAudi account? Did you also enter the 10 digit key fob code into your MMI? Really weird that you don't have an external SIM card; if that's a balls up by the Audi factory -which is not unheard of - you have every right to get Audi to put that right.

If I was in your shoes, I would take the car to the dealer ASAP and not leave their premises until they fix it. Don't let them fob you off over the phone!!

Yes VIN entered for myAudi account...received key holder email...received PIN that ive entered into MMI (also tried password option)
but cant get past 'SERVICE CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE'
...presumably because I dont have a SIM or its not activated

Thanks cuke2u but I read all that before posting...dont have any 'right click' menus at all...does nothing
Also cant find “activate data connection” anywhere...in PRIVACY mine reads “activate data protection” but I guess thats something different
as it doesn't turn on LTE data and 'no data module' message...but I have locked car returned 15mins later - no different

Also mine does not have keyless entry - which from a security pov I dont mind, but I thought it was standard

Thanks cuke2u but I read all that before posting...dont have any 'right click' menus at all...does nothing
Also cant find “activate data connection” anywhere...in PRIVACY mine reads “activate data protection” but I guess thats something different
as it doesn't turn on LTE data and 'no data module' message...but I have locked car returned 15mins later - no different

Also mine does not have keyless entry - which from a security pov I dont mind, but I thought it was standard

So you don't have a little '+' on the right of your screen when you get to the relevant part of the MMI?

Cars don't come standard with keyless entry, just keyless start. You have to buy the 'Advanced Key' for keyless entry...

No cant see little+ only in connection manager see pic above
Also no SIM licence date shown

Attachments

• mm.png
    mm.png
    639.3 KB · Views: 1,252

No keyless entry is a cost option, only keyless start is standard. I think I have done all I can so a trip to the dealership I'm atraid.

That explains the photo of an empty glove box :tearsofjoy:
Its in my storage compartment below the headlight switch :)

Bottom left pic - Primary user... this is where Ive entered myAudi details and only way to retry for a connection is to reset details and enter all again...done this probably a dozen times :crying: NO MORE

Still waiting on Hatfield Audi...:sleeping:
and sent email to Audi Customer services...

Ok Nick, sorry I couldn't help fix it for you. Seems like you'd probably tried everything before you posted here. Lets hope you get it sorted soon and plesse let us know the result...

Managed to get over to local dealer, at last, who were very helpful - the master tech confirmed that the system has never been activated and he's hopeful this can be done remotely once Germany acknowledge the request - if not they will need to have the car and disconnect the mmi

So even though I have the app features like remote locking and status report I dont get any weather, traffic data and what ever else a non-nav car should get?

Managed to get over to local dealer, at last, who were very helpful - the master tech confirmed that the system has never been activated and he's hopeful this can be done remotely once Germany acknowledge the request - if not they will need to have the car and disconnect the mmi

So even though I have the app features like remote locking and status report I dont get any weather, traffic data and what ever else a non-nav car should get?
Wow, that's quite an oversight by the factory :openmouth: