No sat nav SD card in A7

uzi_adam

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge/experience to shed light on this?
I just picked up a 2016 A7 3.0 tdi 272 Black Edition with the standard RMC MMI. Unfortunately the SD card was missing. I rang up Audi who quoted £350 for the card and installation.

Are these cards coded to the car, and can it only be done on Audi's online system or will VCDS do it?

Nav is definitely activated, the error on the screen reads:
"Please insert a valid navigation medium"

Anyone know if i sourced a 2016/17 card and put it in if it would work?

Thanks
Adam

Afternoon,
I had a similar problem and I had to get it from the dealers. It was a while ago and can't remember specifics but was definitely a dealers job. I remember this as I was thinking theyve got em on ebay for next to nothing so why can't I just grab one there? But yes one of the most expensive little bits of plastic you'll ever buy...

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

If you’ve just purchased the car, and if the sales description included satnav, I’d be harassing the dealer for a replacement!

If you’ve just purchased the car, and if the sales description included satnav, I’d be harassing the dealer for a replacement!

Unfortunately I didn't buy from a dealer.
I think I have 2 options:
1 - buy a brand new card (2016 map card, should be a plug and play)
2 - buy a new card from dealer and have them activate/code it (2020 maps)

Happy with option 1, but I think I might run into problems if I want to update the maps...

I ordered a card yesterday so should be here in next couple days. I'll try it and see if it works and then report back (unfortunately so many threads end without a conclusion :weary:)

Reactions: RAF_S7
You should consider getting carplay installed, then you can use google maps/Waze etc.

My last Map update was Early 2019, and now have to pay for updated maps - £500 a pop!! Instead I had carplay sorted and haven’t touched the MMI navigation since.

Well worth the investment:racer:

You should consider getting carplay installed, then you can use google maps/Waze etc.

My last Map update was Early 2019, and now have to pay for updated maps - £500 a pop!! Instead I had carplay sorted and haven’t touched the MMI navigation since.

Well worth the investment:racer:

I'd have jumped on the car play option but when installed on the RMC unit there are some drawbacks on functionality that I don't particularly like, i.e. having to constantly switch between the car bluetooth and carplay bluetooth, loosing car radio functionality and steering controls not working or working but with a lag.

I was really considering it and still might install it in the future...

Reactions: RAF_S7
Sorry if this is a thread hijack but believe it is within the op subject and may give some insight.
Since my car i bought had never been updated from new , i purchased the latest available mmi and map (2020)update download package ( probably forum rules prohibit me saying the vendor) and installed latest firmwares for my mmi 3g high from a website that proved to be legit and gave me latest maps and functions.
amongst various up grades i now have audi connect on my mmi screen and therefore bought a 40GB ( 2 year expiry )3mobile data only sim for around £25 and this allows me to get google maps (plus other lame audi server web news and park/weather info).
Anyway am i correct in thinking that if i were to keep data available for the google maps it is always latest maps loading in from tinterweb anyway and future (map packs) are pretty redundant now.

oh how technology moves on

If I remember correctly (I’m sure others will chip in) Audi are not renewing their Google Maps licensing agreement in 2021, so at some point the service will stop working.

At that point you will only have the “Off-line” map presented by the MMI, which will only be as up to date at the version installed.

This is one of the main reasons I’ve gone down the Audi Smartphone route.

My A7 is the same spec as your and it came with a dvd instead not a memory car for the sat nav.