no power after new turbo fitted

bax290979

Reaction score
hi all
my turbo went after 103,000 and have since had a new one fitted but its running with serious reduced power and black smoke when changing gear. I took the car back to big fish tuning in stokesley where I got it remapped prior to the turbo going and he put it on his computer and checked the turbo and said it was calibrated spot on but told us to check the egr valve as it was all over the place. the egr valve was removed and cleaned and since then the boost pipes and seals from the turbo have been renewed and its still running flat as a fart. do any of you have any ideas what else could be checked or what it could be

2 things get him to recheck remap and 2nd turbo could be faulty

was it a new or sh turbo
i didnt think you could check turbo with vcds or any computer software

Thanks for the reply
I mentioned the map to him and he said it wouldnt have anything to do with the problem what do you think could be the prob with the remap? also ive had turbo checked and its bang on

to be honest to have the turbo checked ot has to be removed
who checked it ? on or off the car ?
is the turbo new from dealer or ebay
second hand recon

Ye he had it plugged in to his laptop through the port under the steering column went into some menu and the turbo kicked in on the engine and he checked the calibration and it was a refurb turbo

take the turbo off send it back to who you bought it from and have it checked

Ye he had it plugged in to his laptop through the port under the steering column went into some menu and the turbo kicked in on the engine and he checked the calibration and it was a refurb turbo

was he driveing it when he pluged the laptop in ?

well it cant really be checked that way
needs to go on vcds and drove while logging

id say get it off and take it back to who you bought it from to be checked
or get the fitter to check its fitted right.

The fitter checked all the pipes today and changed the seals and clips on the turbo to intercooler hose. He just said the calabration was spot on with the turbo from whatever he was looking at

i really think you need someone that knows what there doing
if all pipes etc are fine and no fault codes for sensors.
id have the turbo sent back to where you bought it and have it checked
you cant check a turbo internals on the car
not can you check it on vcds without driveing and loging.

what calabration is he talking about ?
a turob fits on pipes up etc and works theres not really any settings on a turbo to calabrate

God knows mate just what the bloke who remapped it said when we took it back to him. Could anything have possibly went wrong with the map do you think im not mech minded like so just after a bit of advice

iv never known a map go wrong
you can have a bad map to start with
what was it like before the turbo went who did the remap name and link if you have it

i know of them
did they fit the turbo for you ?

No a bloke ive used for years fitted it hes spot been a mech for 30 years plus id have no reason to doubt his work like

if egr has been checked and cleaned
id send the turbo back to where you got it from and take it from there

In vcds you can activate the turbo and it will cycle on/off if you also take the pipe off that goes into the air intake you can feel if it is blowing good enough or not.It will blow hard then off and cycle until vcds fineshes.You can feel the force with your hand.
This can give you a very good indication that it is working OK.Basic settings 11 or 10 can't remember.
Has the car not run properly after the map?
Ask for him to put the old one back on to just check if the turbo is OK or its a fault with the map.
It could also be a problem with the maf.
The turbo only has two jobs to do blow and not blow.

Ye the car was running fine with the map then the turbo went about 2month later and since then it hasnt been the same. 1st and 2nd gear are terrible no boost whatsoever for some reason the maf has been checked by my mech and also all the pipes hes managed to get it into audi on friday as a favour from someone he knows works there to put on their computer so fingers crossed they find what it is

Last edited:
Is this the same problem that made you replace the turbo?
I would say it is air flow restricted through the engine, either before inlet or after exhaust manifold, so after exhaust manifold could be turbo,cat,or dpf,if it has dpf did your old turbo spew oil into it?
How did the old turbo fail was it oil seals,shaft broke,did it spew lots of oil.
I am assuming this is a diesel.
Before the inlet could be blocked intercooler, anti shudder valve,egr,egr cooler.
It could I suppose be boost leak,but if you have checked pipes and all.
Really it needs a log done wile driving.
Its pointless throwing parts at it,try and narrow it down first,hopefully Audi will help you do that without to much pain.But they are very good at extracting money.

No the turbo blew whilst accelerating in 3rd gear but was running ok before then. When the mech got it off it had literally sheared in half. I took it to the turbo place where i got the new one from and a technician inspected it and he said he suspected something had got into the engine from the recent service id had done on the vehicle and got into the turbo maybe a small bit of mesh from air filter he said.ye audi wont be repairing it for me my mech has a pal who works there and hes putting it on the computer as a favour and yes its a 2.0 tdi 140

Blank the egr valve off at the turbo side and see if it makes any difference. Also check for a boost leak if there is excessive black smoke

Cheers for the advice mate once ive had it looked at on friday il post with the results

Just an update to close the thread it was like bez said and was the recond turbo. Sent it back and got a brand new turbo now the car drives spot on cheers for all the help chaps.

Hi can any 1 help with my mk4 golf tdi 115 bhp hardly boosting at all, big lack of power just fitted new turbo unit to??