No-one buys A4's in scuba blue?

Vanderlust

Reaction score
Had decided on scuba blue for the A4 Avant, but am wavering now as I think grey looks better with tinted windows. So I ran a search on the picture thread and found 0 scuba blue mentions!

Then I ran a search on this whole forum section and again found none!

Is there a reason it's unpopular? I was looking for a colour more easygoing than my existing grey Audi, but now I'm thinking there's a reason I get that dark grey Audi originally. Maybe it just looks better?

I have one in Scuba Blue

Your username was the only thing that came up in the search, aside from my own post about scuba blue :D

Did you tint your windows, or get privacy glass with yours?

Last edited:
I have an A4 saloon in scuba blue, but it was discontinued a little while ago, so that will probably affect availability second hand.
Closest now is probably Navarra blue which is very nice.
I like grey too, but there are so many grey cars on the road now its starting to look a bit dull.
I had this car as a 3 month old ex-demo, so couldn't choose the colour but have been happy with it, looks beautiful clean in the sun.
To be honest at the time I just wanted to avoid black or white.

Reactions: Vanderlust
I also have a saloon in scuba blue. Agree that it looks beautiful after a good clean and polish.

Reactions: jds_sg and Vanderlust
my saloon also scuba blue....
does look good clean

Reactions: jds_sg and Vanderlust
I have an A4 saloon in scuba blue, but it was discontinued a little while ago, so that will probably affect availability second hand.
Closest now is probably Navarra blue which is very nice.
I like grey too, but there are so many grey cars on the road now its starting to look a bit dull.
I had this car as a 3 month old ex-demo, so couldn't choose the colour but have been happy with it, looks beautiful clean in the sun.
To be honest at the time I just wanted to avoid black or white.

Yeah I'm trying to avoid the grey and black because they're all done with chrome in my area so they look executive. I wanted something easier going this time (currently have a dark grey A3 Sportback and even that looks a bit formal). Love the grey but not my current mood!

I also have a saloon in scuba blue. Agree that it looks beautiful after a good clean and polish.

my saloon also scuba blue....
does look good clean

Did you guys get privacy glass or tint them aftermarket at all?

Your username was the only thing that came up in the search, aside from my own post about scuba blue :D

Did you tint your windows, or get privacy glass with yours?

My windows have a very slight factory tint, I wouldn't want privacy glass or any sort of aftermarket tint. When I bought, the blue was rare and stood out in a sea of grey, black and white. I think that when clean and polished it's still my favourite colour - it has a sparkle in the paint.

What I have noticed, is that it seems to show up rain spots etc far more than my previous cars. I don't know if rain has suddenly got dirtier - but the slightest rain shower and it looks like you've tipped a bucket of sandy water over it.

Reactions: jds_sg
I have scuba blue also when it’s clean it looks amazing. I believe navarra blue is only available on the S models?

The Car configurator on the Audi UK site is now updated for MY 2020 and Navarra blue is now available for most if not all models. I think Navarra was previously only available on S models though.

According to WhatCar blue is the 4th most popular colour though, after the monochrome favourites grey, black & white:
https://www.whatcar.com/advice/buying/best-selling-car-colours-in-the-uk/n18819

The Car configurator on the Audi UK site is now updated for MY 2020 and Navarra blue is now available for most if not all models. I think Navarra was previously only available on S models though.

According to WhatCar blue is the 4th most popular colour though, after the monochrome favourites grey, black & white:
https://www.whatcar.com/advice/buying/best-selling-car-colours-in-the-uk/n18819
Depends upon whether business cars are included and whether they mean base colour blue or metallic...

Think it is just based on total number of registrations, so both private & business.
Don't think it matters whether its solid, metallic, pearlescent, etc its just what appears on the V5 document, so for mine it says "blue". Its just going to be the most basic way to describe it.

What I have noticed, is that it seems to show up rain spots etc far more than my previous cars. I don't know if rain has suddenly got dirtier - but the slightest rain shower and it looks like you've tipped a bucket of sandy water over it.

Yes I've noticed this too, but then any darker colour is not really that practical. Silver is probably the most practical, but that seems to have lost popularity, about 6th now.

Wasn't a fan of silver cars for a long time as they can look a bit 'fleet' but was starting to think maybe the silver A4 Avant is the nicest colour of them all. Definitely won me over whatever shade it is Audi are using. Really classy looking.

Didn't see a single blue A4 on the roads today for what it's worth, but it does keep me occupied looking out for them :D

I always liked silver, but I know what you mean about it looking a bit fleet...could say the same now though about top 3 grey, black & white.
Have to say I would seriously consider silver next time if I had a choice though.

Think it is just based on total number of registrations, so both private & business.
Don't think it matters whether its solid, metallic, pearlescent, etc its just what appears on the V5 document, so for mine it says "blue". Its just going to be the most basic way to describe it.
That's my point, a base colour blue that comes free cannot really be compared with a metallic or a pearlesence as costs are a great decider, not necessarily choice. Plus business, or fleet, vehicles are more than likely to have few options.
Just to say blue, white, black or any other colour from the V5 isn't representative of what's going on....

That's my point, a base colour blue that comes free cannot really be compared with a metallic or a pearlesence as costs are a great decider, not necessarily choice. Plus business, or fleet, vehicles are more than likely to have few options.
Just to say blue, white, black or any other colour from the V5 isn't representative of what's going on....

All the top 10 popular car colour lists that I found online were just single word colours that don't take account of the actual finish type or tint, because in reality you can describe a colour with just one word, which is why it is described like that on the V5 document. Unfortunately they don't narrow it down any more than that.

From what you see on the road I don't think there is any argument that the top 3 are grey, black and white and obviously each manufacturer has their own "flavours" of these, but they are still ultimately just grey, black and white in reality. So if the top one is grey, that will include basic shades from budget manufacturers like Dacia up to lovely solid shades like Nardo grey on an RS model, probably 50 shades or more...:)

To be honest you don't see blue or red anymore as "standard" colours too often if at all...

Yeah I'm trying to avoid the grey and black because they're all done with chrome in my area so they look executive. I wanted something easier going this time (currently have a dark grey A3 Sportback and even that looks a bit formal). Love the grey but not my current mood!

Did you guys get privacy glass or tint them aftermarket at all?

i decided against tints and bought shades sized for the B9, fitted to the side windows and left the rear screen view clear, does the job, removable with a few clips holding in place

All the top 10 popular car colour lists that I found online were just single word colours that don't take account of the actual finish type or tint, because in reality you can describe a colour with just one word, which is why it is described like that on the V5 document. Unfortunately they don't narrow it down any more than that.

From what you see on the road I don't think there is any argument that the top 3 are grey, black and white and obviously each manufacturer has their own "flavours" of these, but they are still ultimately just grey, black and white in reality. So if the top one is grey, that will include basic shades from budget manufacturers like Dacia up to lovely solid shades like Nardo grey on an RS model, probably 50 shades or more...:)

To be honest you don't see blue or red anymore as "standard" colours too often if at all...
Really? You must live somewhere strange then as plenty of non metallic base colours around here, and for a survey to have any clout it needs to take into account all the variables. Thus one taken purely from the V5 has no credence in my book. Plus the V5 does not take into account how that choice is reached. It could be a pushy salesperson, it could be that the purchaser didn't have enough money for all the options, it could be they brought a car from stock.
To many variables to give it justification and not mean an actual choice made by the purchaser.
Yes gray will be a metallic but all the other colours aren't necessarily....

When I said "you don't see blue or red anymore as "standard" colours too often if at all" I meant on car configurators online, not actually on the street.

Reactions: cuke2u
Ah I see, perhaps not so much with Audi, but, as I've been looking at alternative cars recently, there are still other manufacturers who supply with base colours...

Reactions: jds_sg