No MOT, zapped by camera this morning ! :(

supanova

A3 2.0 TDI SE
Reaction score
Coleraine, Coleraine, United Kingdom, United Kingd
Got MOT test date for next week. With no other means of transport to and from work I thought I'd chance driving the 5mins into town to work until my test date was due. going up the 1way street and there it is, DVLA car and camera pointing right at me, *** trust me to get caught.

Has anyone ever been done for no MOT? To be honest I always keep my car in mot but Because I bought it from england and brought it back to Northern ireland I got no reminder letter in the post and i completely forgot about it until last week that it was due.

AHHH Hope the fine is at a minimal if any!! :(

Im such an idiot!

Trouble is, without a valid MOT you aren't insured as I understand it. If you have an accident you won't be covered.

At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man, there's no excuse, you knew you had no MOT and whether it was 5 minutes or 5 hours it shouldn't have been on the road.

Yeah I know, I'm such a d**k. at my work there is private parking and my girlfriend actually works with me too so until my mot date I'l be letting it sit in here off the road at work. not worth the risk. but am i right in saying that the dvla car cam was only checking for tax?

I think its a fine if you get caught without a valid MOT.
(Unless you have an MOT booked and you are driving to the test centre)

I tend to book my MOT's a few weeks in advance - hate driving round on a Saturday or after work trying to find someone that can do one there and then.

I lost my MOT papers shortly after getting the car. here in NI, we display a mot disc in the window and 1 month before it is due for renewal they send a letter to re-book. I think i rely on the reminders a tad too much. its only expired buy 3 days, but as said before.... It shouldnt have been on the road without mot.

It's nice you get reminders. In england we don't.

Reactions: DieselJake
how come you couldn't get a mot booking straight away

most in England are drive in without bookings

and I don't know about in NI but in England they check mot tax insurance and licence
and its just a fine for no MOT unless in an accident then your insurance is invalid.

Trouble is, without a valid MOT you aren't insured as I understand it. If you have an accident you won't be covered.

At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man, there's no excuse, you knew you had no MOT and whether it was 5 minutes or 5 hours it shouldn't have been on the road.

Sorry but, that's complete rubbish.

It is a common misconception that driving around without a valid MOT will automatically invalidate car insurance. The majority of car insurance providers make no mention of an MOT and stipulate in the terms and conditions that the vehicle must be in a roadworthy condition. An MOT is no guarantee that your vehicle is in a roadworthy condition other than the moment you leave the MOT station with your new certificate.

The norm would be a fixed penalty fine of £60. Failure to pay might mean court etc with a maximum penalty of £1000.

Even if you have a valid MOT the maximum fines for driving a vehicle that is not roadworthy such as defective brakes, illegal tyres or defective steering are higher at £2500.

ok then can you help with my brothers problem ?

he hit a car in the rear tax but no mot a week out.

hes now got a claim against him as marcustudy invalidated his policy for no mot.

Reactions: Viking
blag that you were driving to an MOT centre

Surprised if i'm the only one setting reminders in there phone :icon_thumright:

Reactions: CHEZ
No mot is on a par with a parking ticket, small fine, no points. Your insurance will still cover you against third party risk ( which is the minimum required by law so no additional offence has been committed in that respect ) it is possible your insurance company could get awkward about paying out on any damage to your own vehicle though, particularly if you are at fault.