No More Tax Disc

Administrators

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
You may or may not have seen all the notices that the government have been getting out there but the end of that round bit of paper is finally happening. In only 6 weeks you will no longer be having to get a tax disc and you will simply doing it on line.. for more information you can visit the government website
https://www.gov.uk/tax-disc

I also heard a rumor that that our wonderful government cough cough have reneged on still being able to go into the post office to tax a vehicle, it will only be possible on line or by phone.

Does it mean on October 1st I can throw my tax disc in the bin?

:slapsselfthefaceandrubslikeamadwoman: smilie

this is not new people

I cant wait to not have anything in my front window! looks alot cleaner, almost like a dewiper of the rear :)

I didn't even put the one I received a few days ago in the window. Pointless so just keep in the center storage bin if ever needed for the next 5 weeks.

Fitted my DR380G in line with the mirror, but from my seat, it's out of view right behind it, neat and tidy :)

I havent put mine in either its been in the house for the last 2 weeks

I drive around for two weeks before my tax disc arrived - agree, much preferred it not bring there. Eye sore really.

So from this date in October can you just remove it?

Reactions: P40ULW
Brilliant, but what if you're taking delivery of a car on the 1st, will they even put the holder up for you? or do you just take it down after 1 month?

I drive around for two weeks before my tax disc arrived - agree, much preferred it not bring there. Eye sore really.

So from this date in October can you just remove it?

yep, no legal requirement to show it any more

Brilliant, but what if you're taking delivery of a car on the 1st, will they even put the holder up for you? or do you just take it down after 1 month?

your car wont be issued with a tax disc so you probably wont get a holder either (if your dealership are on the ball and know whats going on of course)

Taxdiscs will be 'Retro' from October 1st 2014.

I actually laughed at that, such a true statement! I might stick mine on ebay and title it as 'retro UK tax disc'

But will they still be available for classic/vintage vehicles ?
PS, i know you don't have to pay for them but you still have to go through the motions

Surely this makes it easier for cars to be cloned... it's easy enough to pick up a set of plates on any website that makes them, without any documentation at all... what is there to differentiate between say for instance, a black 2010 Audi A4 2.0 TDI, and another black Audi A4 2.0 TDI if it has the same number plate attached. Obviously a VIN / Chassis number will be different but how close must you get before you can see / compare that information. I always thought that a tax disc was one of the last ways of being able to tell if a car was legit to be on the road (or at least it was at the time the tax disc was obtained), and to ensure the right disc is on the right car. Obviously discs can be fabricated to a degree but still a ball ache for whoever wants to drive around in an illegal car.

Am I right or wrong in what I'm saying here? It seems to me that literally anybody could drive around with a cloned set of plates and noone would be any the wiser to it unless the car they'd originally cloned became SORN, Expired MOT, Written Off or Uninsured... all things which you can easily check online every morning before you go out to do whatever you do when you're driving a dodgy motor.

Reactions: Lambster
Surely this makes it easier for cars to be cloned... it's easy enough to pick up a set of plates on any website that makes them, without any documentation at all... what is there to differentiate between say for instance, a black 2010 Audi A4 2.0 TDI, and another black Audi A4 2.0 TDI if it has the same number plate attached. Obviously a VIN / Chassis number will be different but how close must you get before you can see / compare that information. I always thought that a tax disc was one of the last ways of being able to tell if a car was legit to be on the road (or at least it was at the time the tax disc was obtained), and to ensure the right disc is on the right car. Obviously discs can be fabricated to a degree but still a ball ache for whoever wants to drive around in an illegal car.

Am I right or wrong in what I'm saying here? It seems to me that literally anybody could drive around with a cloned set of plates and noone would be any the wiser to it unless the car they'd originally cloned became SORN, Expired MOT, Written Off or Uninsured... all things which you can easily check online every morning before you go out to do whatever you do when you're driving a dodgy motor.

I think you are over thinking the issue. This is 2014, the digital age, and it reduces paper/postage costs for the DVLA, everything is done instantly online, no more waiting for the post, it's cost cutting for them, and less hassle for us, the legit paying ones of course.

Cloning happens anyways, and those that do it will find a way to do it anyways, so there's no point in stating the obvious in my opinion.