No more 6 speed manual transmission (s3)

AshyMarvel

Reaction score
Hello guys tried to factory order a s3 saloon yesterday dealer said Audi have stopped building manual transmissions for the s3’s
Only option is the s-tronic need some advise if the s-tronic is reliable enough for long term etc

At least one other thread on discontinuation of manual S3's if you care to search!!!!

I suspect you question may be better if reversed..... are there any issues with the manual box now that the S3 output is 310bhp or ...........

As generally concluded manuals are now seen as niche and VAG are cost cutting by reducing the available options across brands

Reactions: AshyMarvel, Mark_86 and Sandra
Clutches on S3 Manual gearboxes have been known to be as strong as peanut butter going as far back as the early 8Ps, when even a Stage 1 map was likely to kill them within 18 months. One of the reasons I went for S-Tronic when I moved onto an 8V. You could speculate that now the S3 as standard is 310hp and a healthy number of torques to match, that without a heavier clutch (and thus non-performance drivers complaining about it) it’s pushing the limits of it?
Footnote - the gearboxes themselves are very solid apparently. As for S-Tronic, well yes it does lack a bit of involvement over a manual but you will enjoy the flappy paddles as you learn to use them (although I’m the PlayStation generation, I’ve always loved manual cars. The S-T has slowly converted me but I do use paddles whenever I’m pressing on).
Sorry for the waffle!

Reactions: AshyMarvel
No long term problems with the old 6-speed DQ250 as far as I'm aware. As for the new 7-speed DQ381, which you'll find in the new S3, there haven't been reported any recurring problems. As with everything else there will always be some faulty units buts that's just how it is.

I can't recommend the DQ381 enough. I have tried the 7-speed dry clutch DQ200 and the wet clutch DQ381 is worlds apart. I came from the 8-speed ZF 8HP found in my 2012 BMW 120d and also here the DQ381 is much better. The only thing to put a finger on is when you use kickdown in either comfort or dynamic the gearbox will (sometimes) hesitate for a moment before choosing the right gear. This is however intended, see below:

Shown here (33:56):

Described here:

Last edited:
Reactions: keenu and AshyMarvel
What do you mean by long term?
Planning to keep this car for a long time I know at 38,000 miles the gearbox will need a oil change and wondering later on if this gearbox will cost me a lot for repairs etc

I'm not being funny but the zf in my m135 was better in every way. It was lightening fast, would give me any gear at whatever time without question.
Don't get me wrong, I love my S3 but the auto box in the bmw is now so advanced it easily trump's twin clutch jobbies.

Clutches on S3 Manual gearboxes have been known to be as strong as peanut butter going as far back as the early 8Ps, when even a Stage 1 map was likely to kill them within 18 months. One of the reasons I went for S-Tronic when I moved onto an 8V. You could speculate that now the S3 as standard is 310hp and a healthy number of torques to match, that without a heavier clutch (and thus non-performance drivers complaining about it) it’s pushing the limits of it?
Footnote - the gearboxes themselves are very solid apparently. As for S-Tronic, well yes it does lack a bit of involvement over a manual but you will enjoy the flappy paddles as you learn to use them (although I’m the PlayStation generation, I’ve always loved manual cars. The S-T has slowly converted me but I do use paddles whenever I’m pressing on).
Sorry for the waffle!

Thanks for your advise don’t be sorry for the waffle appreciate it I think I’ll just go for it

Reactions: batch
Planning to keep this car for a long time I know at 38,000 miles the gearbox will need a oil change and wondering later on if this gearbox will cost me a lot for repairs etc

I had a DSG R32 for 9 years and that gave me no problems whatsoever, just get the gearbox serviced at the right intervals and you 'should' be fine.

Reactions: AshyMarvel, Audi Bairn and batch
Nobody can deny both S3 DSG gearbox versions are superb pieces of engineering and the vast majority will last longer than the life of the car.
Choice of gearbox is simply a personal decision based on your circumstances, with the number of DSG A3s out there you would hope there were no known functional issues.

Reactions: AshyMarvel and Audi Bairn
I had a DSG R32 for 9 years and that gave me no problems whatsoever, just get the gearbox serviced at the right intervals and you 'should' be fine.

Does Audi recognize these intervals? Or is it like BMW that uses life long oil in the gearbox even though ZF recommend to change it at 120.000km latest? :stupid:

Does Audi recognize these intervals? Or is it like BMW that uses life long oil in the gearbox even though ZF recommend to change it at 120.000km latest? :stupid:

Can't comment on Audi but VW were happy to let me know it was due.

I fully understand your concerns mate, I've been thinking the same for a while now. I think that we worry too much about our cars and if they will break and how much they will cost to fix...maybe it's just something we do as we get older and over analyze things more!!!

Looking back to when I was about 23-24 my dad had a Vauxhall Carlton Automatic CDXi, it was a lovely car and when he came to px it they took the P on the price, so much so I said if you're letting them have it for that price I'll have it. I ran that car for 4 years and it didn't miss a beat, the gearbox was serviced for about £50 and was still going strong when I sold it. Not once did i worry about it going wrong!

I'm due to collect an A5 s-tronic anytime now (my 1st s-tronic) and was thinking if I bought it would it go wrong....but then you see how many older out of warranty cars have it that are on the road and still going strong!

Anyone who is concerned (and they are expensive if they go wrong) then take out some extra warranty.

Reactions: AshyMarvel and Tom.H
I fully understand your concerns mate, I've been thinking the same for a while now. I think that we worry too much about our cars and if they will break and how much they will cost to fix...maybe it's just something we do as we get older and over analyze things more!!!

Looking back to when I was about 23-24 my dad had a Vauxhall Carlton Automatic CDXi, it was a lovely car and when he came to px it they took the P on the price, so much so I said if you're letting them have it for that price I'll have it. I ran that car for 4 years and it didn't miss a beat, the gearbox was serviced for about £50 and was still going strong when I sold it. Not once did i worry about it going wrong!

I'm due to collect an A5 s-tronic anytime now (my 1st s-tronic) and was thinking if I bought it would it go wrong....but then you see how many older out of warranty cars have it that are on the road and still going strong!

Thanks mate glad you fully understand, I think I’ll just go ahead with the factory order with the no choice but s-tronic, well we gotta try new things I might learn to love it

s-tronic, well we gotta try new things I might learn to love it
Been looking to sell my manual S3 for a while now and a few potential buyers commented "more and more people are wanting s-tronic". Hence why I opted for that on the A5! and obviously that's true as Audi are cutting down on manual transmission cars. Shame as I do love the manual in a sporty car.