no internet connection using Android Auto via USB

brummierob

Reaction score
Hi fellow Audi fans! I've followed this forum for many years now, but this is my first post.
I excitedly picked up my A4 Alload last Tuesday. It's a mid 2017 model. It has the MMI Plus system with audi phone box.
First thing I thought I'd do is connect it up to my phone and see what this thing has to offer. As I don't want to use Audi's extortionately priced SIM, I thought I'd use my own internet connection.
There are two options;
1. Buy a SIM (ie a second SIM from my current provider)
2. Use rSAP.
As I have a Samsung Galaxy S8, which has rSAP, and to save money, I chose the latter.
Being male, and IT professional to boot, I ditched the user manual and set up the connections myself.
Everything worked fine - well almost everything.
I've got internet connection, I can listen to online music via webradio, I can stream music via bluetooth, I have access to all my contacts, etc. You might think, good for you! You might also think, shut the f@#k up and tell us your problem!! :)
Here goes;
Internet connection is available (via rSAP). When I connect my phone via USB I am also able to start Android Auto app. When I go to navigate on Android Auto it says "internet connection is weak" or "internet is not available" or words to that effect.
Before connecting USB, I have the connection bars and the internet speed (lte, etc.) on the bottom left of my MMI screen. When I connect the USB cable, those symbols remain, but an additional phone symbol appears along with a second connection bar.
I love troubleshooting. But, at the moment, I have no answer to this problem. I even read parts of the user manual - that's how desperate I was!!
I've done a lot of online research, but have not found a solution to this problem. I've even searched german forums hoping I'd find something there - 'tis my second language my friends! :). I found nothing, leider!

Has anyone here had the same issue? Could you find a solution or did you use a workaround? It must be possible because loads of people use Android Auto with their Audi once the Audi connect grace period is up.

Would be great to hear suggestions from someone. It would be even better if I could resolve this issue!

Audi really should provide more infos on how to use their products. I mean come on, they charge us enough for their cars and services.

Thx all.

I have a 2017 and use Android Auto successfully. I haven't bought any sim contract type thing from Audi.

I didn't do anything special like use rSAP or the phone hotspot.

I think Android Auto just uses the phone internet connection. Ie the car is just the speaker and the screen - nothing clever.

Maybe try without rSAP, whatever that is.

Charlie

The Android Auto connection disables rSAP and uses the hands free connection. I'd double check the bluetooth connection profile on the MMI. I have a 2019 A6 so not sure where it is in an A4.

I have a 2017 and use Android Auto successfully. I haven't bought any sim contract type thing from Audi.

I didn't do anything special like use rSAP or the phone hotspot.

I think Android Auto just uses the phone internet connection. Ie the car is just the speaker and the screen - nothing clever.

Maybe try without rSAP, whatever that is.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

thx for your reply.
I'm sure it would work if I used the system as you do. But without rSAP the Audi would have no internet connection. RSAP (Remote SIM Access Profeil) allows the car to use the SIM card of your phone, as if it were fitted in the car, via bluetooth.

The Android Auto connection disables rSAP and uses the hands free connection. I'd double check the bluetooth connection profile on the MMI. I have a 2019 A6 so not sure where it is in an A4.

Hi Dave,

ahhhh!
So it means I would have to switch off the rSAP function prior to using Android Auto? I'd also have to disconnect the wifi connection from my phone to car and use the internet connection of my phones SIM to allow internet access for Android Auto?

Sounds logical.

Hi Charlie,

thx for your reply.
I'm sure it would work if I used the system as you do. But without rSAP the Audi would have no internet connection. RSAP (Remote SIM Access Profeil) allows the car to use the SIM card of your phone, as if it were fitted in the car, via bluetooth.
I'm afraid it's an " either or" situation. You use Android Auto with hands free profile and lose some functionality (mainly online radio/media). Dont forget, the cars inbuilt SIM will still give data for some services such as online traffic, weather, Google earth etc. I did away with Android Auto because I felt it didn't really benefit me in terms of messaging/maps media. I just changed my Spotify subscription to Amazon music, as online music was my initial purpose for Android Auto.

Reactions: brummierob
I'm afraid it's an " either or" situation. You use Android Auto with hands free profile and lose some functionality (mainly online radio/media). Dont forget, the cars inbuilt SIM will still give data for some services such as online traffic, weather, Google earth etc. I did away with Android Auto because I felt it didn't really benefit me in terms of messaging/maps media. I just changed my Spotify subscription to Amazon music, as online music was my initial purpose for Android Auto.

Yup, that's the way it is. I've also ditched Spotify for Amazon Music unlimited - but still use it with Android Auto - the usability of the Amazon app is marginally improved over Spotify.

Reactions: DaveW
Yup, that's the way it is. I've also ditched Spotify for Amazon Music unlimited - but still use it with Android Auto - the usability of the Amazon app is marginally improved over Spotify.

So you don't use the internet connection of your phone via bluetooth/rSAP? Do you use any online mmi services? If this is the case, do you just connect your phone to the car via usb and use online services/apps provided by your phone?

It's a tad confusing - as a default the car has a built in SIM that does that Audi Connect piece - so that's the SatNav's Google Map overlays and real time traffic data. I think I've read on here that late 2017 Audi added the SOS button function to the roof console/car status functions for the phone App to Connect as well. Initially it lasts for 3 years, and then, allegedly, you might have to pay to have it extended.

There is then a second internet data connectivity option that and either be your phone if you have an Android device that supports a Remote Sim Access Profile (rSAP) - I use a Galaxy S8 for this. I have a feeling that for Apple iPhone users without rSAP they can insert a separate data SIM in the media unit located in the glove box - though I've never tested it.

The additional data connection will facilitate either Bluetooth (voice calls with limited functionality media streaming) or a cable connection for Android Auto or Apple Car Play for the 'full fat' experience. Slightly tongue-in-cheek there as Android Auto looks like it was conceived in the early 1990s and I'm told CarPlay isn't much better however it is usable even if finding your way around is more by trial and many errors.

Cheers cosmicblue. Jeez, what you doing up at that time?
That's cleared things up a bit. But I'm still not completely in the know.
You write, that your method is to use rSAP. So you use this to connect your phone via WiFi to the car using rSAP.
You stream amazon music through the mmi.
But occasionally you also use Android Auto (AA) via USB. Which you can use for google or waze as a satnav and Spotify through AA to listen to music.
Is that correct?
So what steps do you take to get that working?
I think once you've answered me this I'll probably be off your case!

Hi Brummierob

Seeing as you are also a fellow IT professional you can have the proper answer - rSAP is part of the Bluetooth protocol stack (for reasons only known to Apple they only use bit of it) whereas Samsung seem to use most of it. So it's not Wifi in the accepted meaning but rather Bluetooth wireless access.

Android Auto is accessed from the Menu button and one scrolls around to Android Auto each and every time you want to access it. Android Auto only works, currently, via a cable USB connection. I believe, but have never tried, that there are a few Android Auto Apps you can install on your phone: https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/best-android-car-apps/ such as Waze and I guess this would appear in the available services list inside Android Auto (same place Spotify and Amazon music are found) which you will stumble upon by accident at some point.

Wifi. The In car Wifi seems to lead one down the road of an additional, insanely expensive data subscription service which would reach the vehicle through the Audi Connect SIM - I didn't bother.

Thx @cosmicblue.

I knew all the stuff you mentioned. It's just the pain and rigmarole of messing with the phone prior to plugging it into the USB before being able to use android auto. It's not a life threatening must have, just a soothing nice to have. :)
One I get my 10 digit car code from audi (they apparently misplaced it) I'll be able to set up my amazon music account in mmi. Once my 3 year period with the Audi service ( also Google Maps, etc.) is up, I'll be mor inclined to go for Android Auto then. Maybe audi will have found a workaround by then.
I'll keep trying and see if I can come up with an easier solution

NP - there are rumours of Android Auto via Wireless: https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/...ess-android-auto-but-almost-no-one-can-use-it

So the 10 digit car code....did you get the plastic key tag with the car?

I suspect that the Amazon Music connectivity option using the MyAudi App is going to require signing up for one of those expensive Wifi data packages as that isn't using Bluetooth but rather that in-car Connect SIM and Wifi - more details here: https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en...mazon-music-and-soccer-world-cup-ticker-10314

Last edited:
Interesting read.
No, the tag didn't come with the key. The sales rep at the dealership first pretended he knew nothing about a car code. The said their electrician will be able to sort it. Dunno how he's going to do that. I've read that Audi have to issue me with a new tag. That can take a couple of days to get here from Ingolstadt.

How do you listen to Amazon music if you don't run it through you my audi app?

You have two options for your Amazon music:

1) Via Bluetooth - Open the Amazon App on your phone and make the S8 the media source on Bluetooth in the Audi - you can move forward and back through the tracks using the steering wheel buttons. No folder search capabilities or anything like that - as basic as it gets.

2) Use Android auto via a USB cable

I do the latter and by default get into the every time car and hook the phone up - mine has the wireless charging pad option under the armrest and a USB port - this also links the mobile to the car's roof aerial too.

To use all the MyAudi Connect features you will need to have the key code. However you should be able to use some connect ones such as google earth by logging into the MMI using the same credentials as the app login or the pin generated when you enter the information of your car, or VIN number...
https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/my-audi.html

You can access Amazon music directly via the MMI - you may need the technology package for this. Once you have connected bluetooth with the rSAP (carphone- not handsfree) profile and connected your phone via wifi, go to media on the MMI and select online. You should see Amazon and Napster in the list.

Once myAudi is set up I'll see how it all works and whether I am able to access Amazon music without extra cost from Audi. Perhaps, once my audi connect is sorted, I'll be able to make more sense of it all. Perhaps then things like online traffic, etc. Will use the internal SIM card. BTW my car is fitted with the SOS button/feature

Just a quick heads up.
Before getting in the car I turned the WiFi of my s8 off. Whilst sat in the car, and before switching on the ignition, I connected my s8 to car with USB. I then started the ignition and was able to use android auto with Internet. My car had no Internet connection but it's like @DaveW said, it's a case of either or.

Reactions: DaveW