No heat through heaters

Eyeball74

Reaction score
Hi all. As soon as winter comes, I get no heat from my heaters. There blowing and my engine temp once warm sits nicely at 90. Any advice on simple things to check first? How easy is it to change thermostat ? What else could it be?

Cheers.

Right, quick follow up. I have ran car up to temp this morning and I have heat on the passenger side through all vents but cold from drivers side. I've adjusted temp down and up but just the same. Could this be a sticking flap on the drivers side? If so how easy is it to fix? Any help welcome.

You need to run vagcom to see if there's any faults, chances are the flap motor has failed.

I had this problem with mine when I first purchased it but on the passenger side,
It turned out to be one of the motor control mechanism had broke,
Replaced it for £10 from a member on here and all is good again,

Whilst we are on the subject is there any way to recalibrate the flaps?
On my mk5 golf you can press 2 buttons together and it calibrates all the flaps

I had this problem with mine when I first purchased it but on the passenger side,
It turned out to be one of the motor control mechanism had broke,
Replaced it for £10 from a member on here and all is good again,

Whilst we are on the subject is there any way to recalibrate the flaps?
On my mk5 golf you can press 2 buttons together and it calibrates all the flaps
Hi. Thanks for reply. I can find loads of pictures of the passenger side motors and mechanisms but none for the drivers side. Just going to have to remove cover and take a look. Even if I can move flaps by hand for now. Just to get some heat onto the drivers side windscreen. Cheers again.

Hi. Thanks for reply. I can find loads of pictures of the passenger side motors and mechanisms but none for the drivers side. Just going to have to remove cover and take a look. Even if I can move flaps by hand for now. Just to get some heat onto the drivers side windscreen. Cheers again.
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?118243-Only-passenger-side-blows-hot-air
Page 2 shows a pic, not very good but might give you an idea of what your looking for.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?118243-Only-passenger-side-blows-hot-air
Page 2 shows a pic, not very good but might give you an idea of what your looking for.
Well, took off the trim under steering wheel and I could only see one of the motors with a yellow plastic connecting arm which looked like it at snapped at the connection to the motor. Took the motor out and sure enough it had snapped. Plugged the motor back in and then altered the settings on the control panel to see if the motor was working but it wasn't. Manually moved the yellow lever and it did alter the air flow from the vents. Guessing I need to buy a new motor and connecting arms to cure the problem. Will let people know what happens when I fit a new motor.

Will let people know what happens when I fit a new motor.
It'll proberbly work but your better off getting the adaptation done so it knows it's open / closed limits, you don't want to put stress on the arm and snap it again if the limits are wrong.

While we're talking heaters.....can anyone advise if the fan should increase when I increase the temperature on my climate control panel ?

Am talking about smacking the heat up 3-4 degrees in "Auto" mode on these cold mornings. On other cars I've had, including Golfs/Psssats and BMWs, this would have increased the fan speed too - noticed this isn't happening on my Cab.

While we're talking heaters.....can anyone advise if the fan should increase when I increase the temperature on my climate control panel ?

Am talking about smacking the heat up 3-4 degrees in "Auto" mode on these cold mornings. On other cars I've had, including Golfs/Psssats and BMWs, this would have increased the fan speed too - noticed this isn't happening on my Cab.
Is the engine temp still cold / cool when your turning the heat up, in auto mine only increases the fan speed as the engine gets warmer. When the engines cold the fan speeds slow even when turning the temp up until it reaches a certain engine temp then it kicks in.

Well, quick update. I bought a second hand flap positioning motor off eBay for £34. Connected it to the wiring only and altered settings from hot to cold several times to make sure it worked ok. Then I connected it to the mechanism and bolted it in. Hey presto, I now have heat from the drivers side vents. Quite easy to do and cheap. Let's just hope it lasts. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice. Really appreciate it.

"Is the engine temp still cold / cool when your turning the heat up, in auto mine only increases the fan speed as the engine gets warmer. When the engines cold the fan speeds slow even when turning the temp up until it reaches a certain engine temp then it kicks in."

Thanks Jimbo. Good to know the climate control is working as it should.

One thing I have noticed is that the system does start to deliver warmer air quicker than my other diesels do, which is very welcome on these cold mornings.