No communication with CAN Gateway after RNS-E Coding Attempt

toXXin

Reaction score
Website
www.seatcupra.net
Hey guys/girls,

A friend has a 2010 A3 2.0 TDI Quattro and asked for my help coding in his recently fitted RNS-E. Unfortunately I've ticked a box or changed a number that has stopped the CAN Gateway working. Auto Scan no longer works, it just scans the CAN Gateway and tells me that there's no communication from controller. I can still read the other controllers if I go to the Gateway Installation List on the auto scan page, or if I go into them individually. My VCDS Hex+Can is genuine and up to date.

The aim of the game was to fix the non-working aux-in & bluetooth (both worked with the BNS) and ensure the long coding was correct for the RNS-E.

Factory spec:
BNS
Bose
Aux In
6CD Changer in glovebox
MFSW
Bluetooth

Current spec:
RNS-E (LED version from 2011 S3)
Bose
Aux In
Old skool iPod dock in glovebox
MFSW
Bluetooth

When he arrived, he had lots of faults and for the first time in my life I didn't save them, I'm very sorry! From memory there was:

02005 - Coding Pin (in 37 & 56)
004 - No Signal/Communication

01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded (in 19)
000 - -
The front speakers also had errors.

I asked if he swapped any pins in the connector and he hadn't, so I assume there's a Bose wire that needs to be changed over.

I'm sure I didn't change anything in CAN Gateway long coding as I found the Navigation box was already ticked from the factory.

I made changes in 56 Radio and 77 telephone that related to the RNS-E but I didn't write anything down I'm afraid (too busy chatting). In 77 Telephone I changed the 5th digit of coding to "4 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Head Unit (e.g. RNS-E), Diagnostics via CAN" which got the Bluetooth working. When I realised the CAN wasn't working I changed this to "8 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Head Unit (e.g. RNS-E), Diagnostics via K-Line" but the CAN still wasn't working.

I've looked up the 56 Radio coding on Ross-Tech Wiki and I think it should be 0219757, can anyone else confirm this is correct for the options I listed above? I didn't manage to get the Aux-In working, does anyone have an idea of what I've missed?

My priority is getting CAN Gateway accessible, the last thing I want is for the car to break down and not be scanned.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks EXSpartan36, I've registered and awaiting for verification.

I have an Exeo with pretty much the same spec as his retrofit, I have been tempted to look at the Radio coding for comparison but they aren't the same car so the coding probably is different somewhere along the line. I'd rather hear from the voices of experience, the last time I retrofitted an A3 RNS-E was 6 years ago and the car had less spec.

Last edited:
Reactions: EXSpartan36
Just had a thought. Does anyone know if the A3 CAN system has a shutdown timer on it?

We were messing with the RNS-E for about an hour with the ignition on, maybe it shut off hence the lack of communication. My friend tried to start the car at this point and we'd made the battery go "flat" so maybe I coded something with insufficient voltage in the system and it's broke the module.

You might have to change 37 navigation too and get them matching, just a thought.

Also, did you save the initial scan, as that would have the unchanged coding.

Good call mattmanwrx, thanks for your input.

I stupidly didn't save anything today (too busy chatting) but I did save the one from when he bought it 3 years ago. I know I'm the only person to touch that sort of stuff so I can use that as a guide to see where I went wrong.

With regard to 37 Navigation and 56 Radio, as far as I can tell they are the same thing. When I changed the coding in 56, I went to 37 and it showed the coding I had just put in 56. On the old scan log they both show the same part numbers, codings, errors, etc.

I'll take a trip over to his house with my kit and CTEK charger and see what happens. I'm crossing my fingers that low voltage was the cause. I've changed batteries and immediately plugged in to reset lights and do adaptations and I've never had a no communication to CAN before. One thing I will say to all readers, you also get this issue if you upgrade your VCDS to v16 Beta. They have changed the firmware significantly and as a result, you get the same "no communication" issues I'm having. It's all in the release notes, but some people didn't read them before upgrading. Mine is still on v15.7, I don't trust Beta software on expensive car modules!

Thanks again mattmanwrx :)

Reactions: mattmanwrx
Me again.

Looking at the fault log I saved 3 years ago and comparing it to the Ross Tech wiki coding pages, the coding for the Telephone module should've been fine as it was but I'm sure I changed some code in there. I must've activated the phone in the Radio/Navigation coding screen.

I'll let you know if I solve it...

I saw the beta upgrade to v16, but saw it updates the vcds cable, and it would be able to use the lower 15.x programs. Didn't bother upgrading after reading that.

Anyhow, let us know how you get on. Also, always save the scan. I try to take a picture of the soft coding on the module before changing anything so you what it will be if anything does get messed around with.

Let us know how you get on buddy