No boost new turbo????

Audi S3 freak

Reaction score
Right I have fitted my brand new turbo to the s3 and I'm getting no boost? Even when I pull the pipe from the actuator To the n75 I still get nothing? Any ideas? Help please!

Have you fiited the turbo elbow that goes onto the charge pipe properly?

U should hear it making a noise just check all pipes the right wAy and done up etc

Got to be ssomething silly

cheers for the replies. right the actuator is set at 1 bar by CR turbos, its even marked up stating set to 1 bar and opens on 1 bar. yes i can hear it spool up and even checked by taking the tip off and watching it spool up, checked to see if the if the penny washer thing (sorry cant remember the name off part) on the turbo is stuck open by dropping the dp and thats fine (if stuck open it would just dump pressure).also done a leak check and it didnt drop pressure so no leaks. now i have gave up and im left scratching my head????? for love nor money i cant think what would cause this??? no codes on car etc. When i pulled the vac pipe off the actuator it still dont produce **** all when it should boost its tits off!!! anyone want to buy a N/A S3????? spoke to cr last week and got some ****** on the phone that tried telling me that my car needs remapped for it to pull boost....clearly not!! car is stage 2 and im not pulling ANY boost so asked to speak to someone that has half a clue and never got a call back so come monday they will be getting a mouth full from me!!! also spoke to amd essex (they mapped my car) and they was as much use as ******* in the wind! 20 mins later they could just about manage to tell me what psi boost my car was mapped to! any help would be great!! if im honest i think its got to be down to the turbo or actuator as even my last turbo pulled good boost it just started to smoke so sent to cr and they said it was scrap so parted with cash for a brand new stage 3 K04 and now i get nothing!!!!
sorry about the massive post but im about ready to burn the car and claim on the insurance!!!!!

Feel sorry for you mate sounds like a broken turbo somewhere

Feel sorry for you mate sounds like a broken turbo somewhere
well if the turbo is ****** i will be a little ****** to say the least!!! the fact my ****ed K04 still produced good boost (replaced due to cracked exhaust housing and started to smoke pretty bad) when my BRAND NEW hybrid dont produce enouch boost to pull past a granny in a 1 ltr fiesta leaves me a little sore!!! looks like i will be driving the loan car (brothers ibiza cupra longer than i planned!). oh just to add cr turbos are great....at taking peoples cash but cant even return a poxy phone call.....roll on mondays phone call to cr!!!!!!!!

Have you pressure-checked the charge piping system? Does the car idle/run poorly? That would indicate a leak.
car runs spot on just dont produce any boost!!!!!! no rough idle etc. as stated all pipe work is new and hold pressure so any other ideas???? the car drives the same as a n/a 1.8 its just gutless! the fact im getting almost no boost at all concerns me alot! i can drive the car about without any issues getting to lets say 80mph the problem is just the no boost! car runs spot on. anyone want to buy some bits? lol

If you are not seeing at least 1 bar, the WG penny won't be shut.

This has been seen before where they fail to set the preload correctly in as much as the adjuster rod isn't long enough to allow the flap to close and seal. I'd be checking that assuming it wasn't checked prior to fitment

If you are not seeing at least 1 bar, the WG penny won't be shut.

This has been seen before where they fail to set the preload correctly in as much as the adjuster rod isn't long enough to allow the flap to close and seal. I'd be checking that assuming it wasn't checked prior to fitment
didnt check prior to fitting as we was assured it was set to 1 bar(phone conversation to cr before ordering). the rod really couldnt get any loinger if it wanted (its like a spear!), the rod was also marked up by cr before they sent it out to me. assuming it was a little off i did adjust it a little to see if the seal was a little poor but made no differance at all. im at the point now where i either adjust it until its stupidly tight or take it off and send it back to cr for them to check it over. will try again tomorrow if i get the time and double check that penny washer is tight (dp is still off so i could check again after i adjust it yet again). lets just hope it not set up correctly as if i have to take the poxy thing off again im not fitting another K04 which means even more money! cheers for all the help gents.

didnt check prior to fitting as we was assured it was set to 1 bar(phone conversation to cr before ordering). the rod really couldnt get any loinger if it wanted (its like a spear!), the rod was also marked up by cr before they sent it out to me. assuming it was a little off i did adjust it a little to see if the seal was a little poor but made no differance at all. im at the point now where i either adjust it until its stupidly tight or take it off and send it back to cr for them to check it over. will try again tomorrow if i get the time and double check that penny washer is tight (dp is still off so i could check again after i adjust it yet again). lets just hope it not set up correctly as if i have to take the poxy thing off again im not fitting another K04 which means even more money! cheers for all the help gents.

Where abouts are you?

Might be worth doing the actuator up to make sure the wastegate is Shut

I had a turbo from turbo centre hybrid k03/k04 and it was crap doesn't matter how much u told it to do wouldnt boost, nothing and turn out the turbo had it!!

I'm Milton Keynes buddy but now currently seeing the woman (Essex) so not back home till tomorrow. Tightening it so it should be extremely tight is the last thing I'm willing to try before taking it off and sending it back! Really getting the hump with it now as I have swapped and changed everything that could cause boost issues! I have only put the turbo on as I'm sick of the car being sat there doing nothing! Will be taking it back off the road next year for rods and pistons etc but at this rate it's not going to be going on the road! Lol lets hope all I need to do is keep tightening the actuator up until it holds boost! Dancupra dont say that its all nee and only just been fitted to the ****** car!! lol
Thanks lads

At least now you know not to. Use CR Turbos and turbo center

Beachbuggy is the guy you need to speak to

Lol it's a bit late now dan! Well if I can't get this to boost its going back and I'm just going to buy a bigger turbo rather than another hybrid!

Right the turbos going back!!! Adjusted the **** out of the actuator (about 15mm) and still the same!! Turbo spools up and as power starts to come in......nothing!!! So mr beach buggy what's the specs and prices off your hybrids and do they work? Lol well you can't blame me for asking!! Cheers for the input guys

it's not just adjusting the actuator. Was the penny WG flap closed tight?
it was tight so I have no idea what else to try! Cr will be getting another call telling them I'm far from happy with their product!!!

crlottery.jpg

:whistle2:

when you "checked" the wg penny, did you try and spin it...?

as mark says, we have seen a turbo (or two) which felt at a quick glance to be shut, but when touching the wg penny it moved.. Should not have been possible.. IF it was closed. In that instance, the actuator rod did'nt have enough thread to have the inner nut low enough to actually close the penny..

Proper check would be back off the nuts either side of the actuator rod and close the flapper by hand... you will feel/hear it "CLICK" when it shuts hard down. Next wind the outer nut down to the wg arm, and then once touched down, turn 3 turns, then bring up the inner nut up to the other side to lock it. Then you know the gate is both Closed and Preloaded a little. If your actuator is in fact 1bar, with n75 off you should see 12-14psi boost...

good luck

another thing... the turbo is actually rotating yea? Both sides? (turbine + compressor)

Haha dave that cracked me up!
Bill yes matey all checked, both sides spin and the penny washer didn't move at all. Tried the whole 3 turns method and then got ****ed off and adopted the wind the fucjer so tight it should never open and was still the same! Now I'm not going to have a chance to get the turbo back off until next week due to work so no chance of a running s3 this year!!! :(
cheers for the help everyone.

Your DV is ******** is it and just blowing all the air out?

This has to be plumbed in wrong somewhere, or the boost leak from hell. Even CR cannot make a turbo that has a closed wastgate,spins fine but won't boost. It has to be installation IMHO

Do you have a cat fitted? If so, is it blocked?

this is a weird one innit

if exhaust gas passes by turbine it has to spin it... and spin the compressor hence produce flow and boost.

As suggested, it has to be escaping... so things like DV, pipes somewhere have to be gaping..

Well weird

Does the engine pull thru the revs ok? Not feel "strangled" at all?

Dv is fine (checked it on the cupra and even swapped the cupra one onto s3 and still the same) so rule that out. Boost leak from new hoses and clips when it holds pressure......boost checks done so rule that out. Plumbed in wrong.....nope checked over and over again! So rule that out and penny washer is closed and does not spin at all so again god knows? Turbo was sent back today so will know the issue next month. They have promised to call me as soon as they get the turbo so I will update when I know what the issue is. Going to try and get them to part ex their hybrid against something bigger.....well it's worth a try! So wish me luck!

Good luck...dont hold your breath though...
Did it seem ok when it was off?
im not going to but worth a cheeky ask!! That's the thing Dave it looks fine??? Can't get my head around it!! Well as I said as soon as they have checked it over I will let you all know the outcome.

Right a little update..got a phone call today from my brother so went to his garage to see what he wanted. he took me out in my s3 with it pulling boost!! He took the turbo off his early s3 210bhp with 139k on the clock (so the turbo is pretty well used to say the least) and dumped it on mine so looks like cr have some explaining to do!!! If that scabby old turbo works why the **** does my brand new hybrid not???? Cheer for all the input from you all but like we all kinda knew....it was a dodgy turbo not boost leaks,dodgy dv's or set up wrong! As soon as they explain what went wrong with the turbo I will let you all know.
Thanks again :)

how they have managed that escapes me...
wheels on backwards? lol
I honestly have no idea!!! The fact I know nothing about cars/turbos don't help so until they call me and explain what the issue is I couldn't tell you. Well lets hope they are willing to start the year by refunding me so I can buy a bigger turbo! ;)