No AMI Audi A5 2008

Mads

Reaction score
Hi All

I have done numerous Google searches now and looked in various threads to locate the AMI port in my Audi 2008 Black Edition, but it doesn't look like it exists.

I just wanted to check if anyone knows whether there are some models that do not come with an AMI port, or do they all have one, but it could be hidden away?

So far I've looked in the glove box (most common place to have it according to Google) and in the boot, where I found the navigation system CD drive, but no sign of AMI port anywhere.

Please let me know if anyone knows anything because I don't have AUX or USB to listen to music and ideally I would like to have bluetooth configured... And I really do not want to resort to Bluetooth to FM or spend £150+ to listen to music.

Cheers

Some cars do not come with this feature. Your only options are to retrofit AMI or go the bluetooth to FM route.

AMI was an option. My 2008 didn’t have it and I retrofitted it.

You need the AMI unit itself, VCDS (or equivalent) to code it to the car and a new glove box interior to accommodate the AMI unit (if yours doesn’t already have a DIN-sized cubby hole for it to fit into).

AMI was an option. My 2008 didn’t have it and I retrofitted it.

You need the AMI unit itself, VCDS (or equivalent) to code it to the car and a new glove box interior to accommodate the AMI unit (if yours doesn’t already have a DIN-sized cubby hole for it to fit into).

How expensive is it to get the AMI unit and how easy is it to put it in? Guessing it connects to the back of where the 6 CD unit is?

How expensive is it to get the AMI unit and how easy is it to put it in? Guessing it connects to the back of where the 6 CD unit is?

I wrote a guide on this at the time on another forum. Hopefully it's OK to link to it but if it gets removed just google A5OC AMI retrofit and it's the first thing on Google. At the time, it was expensive and cost me around £365 all-in.

https://www.a5oc.com/threads/ami-retrofit-guide.18778/

I wrote a guide on this at the time on another forum. Hopefully it's OK to link to it but if it gets removed just google A5OC AMI retrofit and it's the first thing on Google. At the time, it was expensive and cost me around £365 all-in.

https://www.a5oc.com/threads/ami-retrofit-guide.18778/

Cheers, I shall have a look. I will have to admit, that's the sort of price I expected to pay Audi to do it for me.

I have attached a picture of my default set up. Ideally I wanted to fit it where the CD changer is, but not sure it'd work, as you'd have to take off the whole area I have highlighted in red.

Attachments

• sketch-1571991097820.jpg
    sketch-1571991097820.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 487
Cheers, I shall have a look. I will have to admit, that's the sort of price I expected to pay Audi to do it for me.

I have attached a picture of my default set up. Ideally I wanted to fit it where the CD changer is, but not sure it'd work, as you'd have to take off the whole area I have highlighted in red.

I'm pretty sure the CD changer in the centre console isn't a standard DIN sized unit. From memory, the fasicia sides are angled to suit the centre console and I'm pretty sure the AMI is a standard DIN size. You might be able to put it there if there's a kit available for installing an aftermarket head unit in that space. Something like this: https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/audi-single-din-car-stereo-fascia-panels.html

I'm pretty sure the CD changer in the centre console isn't a standard DIN sized unit. From memory, the fasicia sides are angled to suit the centre console and I'm pretty sure the AMI is a standard DIN size. You might be able to put it there if there's a kit available for installing an aftermarket head unit in that space. Something like this: https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/audi-single-din-car-stereo-fascia-panels.html
I think the problem here is that the parking sensor button and ESP Off button will also have to come off along with the CD changer... It looks like that's the only option?

It saddens me to say this, but I will have to stick to blueotoh to fm for now...

I can't believe how expensive it is to do it yourself.

Also, some cars came with aux input in the armrest, it might be worth seeing if this can be retrofitted. it would be significantly cheaper.

Will see if that option works out to be more affordable, cheers.

After a bit more digging around, I'm more confused than I was at rh3 beginning somehow. I've seen a few threads where people have said it's not possible to retro fit an AMI unit to my version of the A5?

Is there definitely a connection in the back of the CD changer, or in that region for the AMI unit, and what type of cable connect the AMI unit to the back of the MMI?