Nikon d5100

Reaction score
My girlfriend loves taking pictures and IMO takes some pretty good shots with the point and shoot and her iPhone. So I've decided to get her a proper camera so she can take it a bit more seriously. I've found some good package deals with the Nikon d5100, but as I know next to nothing about cameras I thought I'd ask the experts. So does anyone have one? Does it live up to the reviews? Or should I avoid it? Any opinion welcome. Thanks, Paul.

I have a D5100 - purchased it in November 2011 - in my opinion its a great camera for the price.

As you already know, its a beginner D-SLR camera, which means you can pretty much customise all the settings; aperture, shutter-speed, ISO Speed.etc - whilst also having the option of full-auto settings.

It can take a while to get used to the settings but its worth it.

Baring in mind this isn't a camera that can be slipped into your pocket, so a good quality camera bag is needed (I have a Lowepro nova 180)

Battery life is fine with these cameras, however spare batteries are around £40 (you have to get genuine Nikon as the replica batteries get rejected by the camera)

The kit lens provided (think its usually a 18-55mm) is ok quality wise, but the camera performs so much better with a different lens of higher quality - I have a 70-300mm VRII lens for zoom photography.

Just make sure she is going to use the features, it may be worthwhile (and cost effective) to consider a Hybrid/Bridge camera.
Bridge cameras are usually compact cameras with a larger fixed lens - they also allow you to change some of the more advanced settings, usually a good stepping stone from a compact to a D-SLR.

Lemmie know if you have any other questions!

Thanks for the replies. She'll definitely use the camera a lot, so I'm not worried about it being left in a cupboard. What I don't want to do is buy a bridge camera and then she wants to upgrade anyway in 6 months or so. Good advice about the lense, so now I need to find a package that includes, camera, bag, sd card, spare battery, and atleast 2 lenses. Best get looking!

Thanks for the replies. She'll definitely use the camera a lot, so I'm not worried about it being left in a cupboard. What I don't want to do is buy a bridge camera and then she wants to upgrade anyway in 6 months or so. Good advice about the lense, so now I need to find a package that includes, camera, bag, sd card, spare battery, and atleast 2 lenses. Best get looking!

I get my memory cards from 7dayshop.com - they are good quality and very well priced.