Niggles?

loveoftheQuattro

quattro for the snow
Reaction score
Hey i have just bought myself a b6 3.0 quattro. does anyone have any words of wisdom about what to look out for with common faults?

Welcome to the forum.

Have a look in the stickies in here at the DIY guides etc which will give you an idea of what to look out for. As soon as you can I'd check the gromets in the plenum chamber aren't blocked, once that floods it can cause no end of issues.

Cool thanks for the advise will do that. Had it into audi for a health check and nothing came up, this is my first audi
And it truely is a beautiful car to drive and be in, really chuffed.

a fine choice sir :)I
the 3.0Q often suffers from cat failure after 80k miles onwards and the cats are made up of downpipe with pre-cat and then full cat all as one unit. and one of these on each side. the audi price for replacing them is something silly like a grand each with new lambda sensors so if yours go at some point you can get OEM at a high price, aftermarket but depends on manufacturer hat quality you end up with... or as in my case you can cut the main cats off, replace them with sports cats or something else (mine are made for an s8 but were correct diameter) and remove the innards from the precats. the precats tend to die and collapse, choking the exhaust, long before the main cat goes. I intend to completely remove the precats and downpipes at some point to have custom downpipes made. possibly changing the s8 cats for 1 or 2 aftermarket sports cats.
That's not intended to scare you. just something that affected me and I know is possible with the 3.0 a4 and a6.
apart from that I don't know of anything that's specific to the 3.0Q. as with all B6 A4s the front control arms will tend to go at around 100k miles so you can replace bushes or whole arms. Best just to enjoy the car and try not to think about what mpg you're getting :)
welcome to the forum by the way
cheers
nj

not sure yet, there have been a few bits to do to it - new disks to get thru MOT, small crack on screen filled, new mechanism for drivers window as cable was frayed! and wiper arm linkage. so think Im going to get her into mint condish then look into what I can do from there. any ideas are welcome. body work is perfect and i think after winter ill get the alloys refurbed then start on anything that takes my fancy

cheers fourcircle, mpg was not as bad as i expected, but the car is a real class piece so im not too worried about mpg it could be worse. . . . . . . .

it worth while check with audi that its had the coil packs and plenum chamber checked. they were recalls on both.

Done, first place i took it to was audi and got diagnostics done and coil packs changed. not sure about plenum chamber? what is it?

Done, first place i took it to was audi and got diagnostics done and coil packs changed. not sure about plenum chamber? what is it?
The chamber under the battery which floods if the drains are blocked

Does anyone know what the split between front and rear wheels is? i have heard 40% front 60% rear ?????

It's 50:50 with the Torsen diff sending up to 75% to either front or rear depending on situation.

Ok cheers, got new tyres on (not winter) but I think she'll be good in snow. I think 50% is knowing how to drive. My last car , mk3 golf gti I had going all over town and up every hill near me when there was 12" snow. Can't wait to try it out!