Nice weather = more mobile speed traps

m0sbf

Reaction score
Just a heads up on the amount of police mobile speed trap activity around at present. Just been up in Nottingham in my 8V this weekend and passed through several sneaky mobile traps:

A46 between Coventry and M40 southbound - on bridge (yesterday afternoon)
A6003 Oakham, Leicestershire. Well hidden van on brow of hill looking down a long straight downward section of road - see Mobile Camera Schedule « Speed Or Safety? (Sunday morning)

nice weather = police everywhere; so be careful! Your TomTom database won't save you from sneaky mobile speed traps!

Steve

The TomTom speed app ( fixed cameras, mobile units, average speed checks, hot zones ) is free at the moment on iOS (maybe android) and comes with 12 months subscription. May not have them all but better then nothing.

Just a heads up on the amount of police mobile speed trap activity around at present. Just been up in Nottingham in my 8V this weekend and passed through several sneaky mobile traps:

A6003 Oakham, Leicestershire. Well hidden van on brow of hill looking down a long straight downward section of road - see Mobile Camera Schedule � Speed Or Safety? (Sunday morning)

nice weather = police everywhere; so be careful! Your TomTom database won't save you from sneaky mobile speed traps!

Steve

I think TomTom live does include mobile traps, as long as someone has gone to the trouble of clicking the button to add these. Certainly I have seen the opposite situation - a mobile camera being reported where there's no evidence that it's still there. In that situation I usually hit the button to get it removed.

I think TomTom live does include mobile traps, as long as someone has gone to the trouble of clicking the button to add these. Certainly I have seen the opposite situation - a mobile camera being reported where there's no evidence that it's still there. In that situation I usually hit the button to get it removed.

I guess it could have been there previously though.

Dorset is bad for this at the moment. They seem to be everywhere - Summer drink drive campaign also means speed checks.....

Just out to make money, ****** me off no end. There was a copper + his bike sitting on the banking of the A120 heading away from Stansted Airport this morning - speed gun firmly pointed at the spot 100 yards before the limit changes from 50 to national. I wonder why he chose that particular spot... they're always there, dead on that spot - ah but not when it rains or early morning when the van drivers are coming off the M11 at silly speeds. Funny that.

I use the ACC referenced to the speed limit display in the top right of the DIS.
No hassle and never had a ticket in my life.
No good for boy racers and adrenaline junkies though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audimad
I'm not condoning it but I have found it fairly difficult to keep on the right side of the law with my S3.

It's so smooth and effortless that I some times look down at the speedo and can not believe the rate of knots I'm travelling at. Not good. I don't like the digital speedo function (prefer the economy function) but finding myself having to use it now all the time so I can keep within the limits. :busted_cop:

Reactions: The Challinor and grainqey
I use a TomTom all the time even when not on a route because it bongs whenever you're 5 over the limit. The limits change very accurately.

I use my 6 year old TomTom ONE. It's set to go 'beep-beep' whenever I approach a fixed camera. I have tried it with it set to indicate 'known mobile camera sites' but with that it beeps at almost every lay-by. It I set it to beep whenever I went over the speed limit it would be beeping quite a lot as well:)

Reactions: grainqey
I also use a RoadAngel Gem. That updates on the road via the mobile phone network and is very good on mobile traps. It also has a speed limit display for the road you're travelling along. However, I have found the Audi speed limit in the DIS to be slightly more accurate.

I use my 6 year old TomTom ONE. It's set to go 'beep-beep' whenever I approach a fixed camera. I have tried it with it set to indicate 'known mobile camera sites' but with that it beeps at almost every lay-by. It I set it to beep whenever I went over the speed limit it would be beeping quite a lot as well:)

I have the same unit. Maybe I'll pay the £19.99 for an update as mine is so out of date for fixed speed camera sites. In five years there are probably three times more country-wide than it has in it's database! The touch screen on my One is getting bad now and it has an irritating habit of falling off the screen! Cleaning the suction pad and windscreen with IPA alcohol helps for a while.

Just out to make money, ****** me off no end. There was a copper + his bike sitting on the banking of the A120 heading away from Stansted Airport this morning - speed gun firmly pointed at the spot 100 yards before the limit changes from 50 to national. I wonder why he chose that particular spot... they're always there, dead on that spot - ah but not when it rains or early morning when the van drivers are coming off the M11 at silly speeds. Funny that.

Hmm thanks for the heads up. I go through there twice a month, definitely worth noting... Especially as I do about 100 through there regardless.

I had a snooper but it didn't go off for a speed camera van once and i got done for speeding ! Apparently they change the frequencies so that the detectors can not pick them up.
I was on dual carriageway the other day and i was doing about 78 in a 70 when i saw it. If i get done or not i don't know, i will just have to play the waiting game.
Its just far too easy to speed in big powerful cars these days you don't even realize you are doing it ! :banghead:

Do the mobile camera vans use a laser ?

Last edited:
I have the same unit. Maybe I'll pay the £19.99 for an update as mine is so out of date for fixed speed camera sites. In five years there are probably three times more country-wide than it has in it's database! The touch screen on my One is getting bad now and it has an irritating habit of falling off the screen! Cleaning the suction pad and windscreen with IPA alcohol helps for a while.

If you are going to renew your camera database the Personal GPS World database is much more up to date and is kept up to date better than the one on the TomTom website and it also costs £19.99 for a one year subscription. It is normally updated about once a month during the year and the updates are very simple to load.

I've been using it with my TomTom for many years and since a reported a fixed camera as being still in use when they thought it had been removed I have a life-time free subscription. This is the incentive they use to get any changes reported as quickly as possible.

If your TomTom ONE is showing signs of age have a look an eBay as there of often a number of ONE's advertised by people who have upgraded to newer ones.

If you are going to renew your camera database the Personal GPS World database is much more up to date and is kept up to date better than the one on the TomTom website and it also costs £19.99 for a one year subscription. It is normally updated about once a month during the year and the updates are very simple to load.

I've been using it with my TomTom for many years and since a reported a fixed camera as being still in use when they thought it had been removed I have a life-time free subscription. This is the incentive they use to get any changes reported as quickly as possible.

If your TomTom ONE is showing signs of age have a look an eBay as there of often a number of ONE's advertised by people who have upgraded to newer ones.

Thanks, I'll take a look at Personal GPS World, appreciate the tip

A6003 Oakham, Leicestershire. Well hidden van on brow of hill looking down a long straight downward section of road - see Mobile Camera Schedule � Speed Or Safety? (Sunday morning)

Steve

The speed traps should still only be used in designated speed enforcement zones, they shouldn't be enforcing in none enforcement zones... barstuards indeed if they are doing so, however they do officially enforce in local area enforcement zones which they are supposed to publish - freedom of information at and all that BS!

I had a snooper but it didn't go off for a speed camera van once and i got done for speeding ! Apparently they change the frequencies so that the detectors can not pick them up.
I was on dual carriageway the other day and i was doing about 78 in a 70 when i saw it. If i get done or not i don't know, i will just have to play the waiting game.
Its just far too easy to speed in big powerful cars these days you don't even realize you are doing it ! :banghead:

Do the mobile camera vans use a laser ?

Yes, pretty sure the mobile vans all use laser now, so any form of detectors (including laser detector) would be useless, as by the time you have detected the laser, the device will have clocked your speed and photographed you!

Steve

But your right foot will.

I do get frustrated with the inconsistency though. It's easy to say, "well you were speeding so accept the punishment", but I think it’s the unfairness and 'luck' factor that p!sses people off. Some folk, through luck, speed almost entirely from the moment they get in the car to when they park up, speed, but never get caught, whilst others pick up points from innocuous unlucky speeding, so I do feel for them. Ultimately, the roads you drive, what time of day, whether your local police budget is balancing, amongst others, can decide if you get nicked or not, rather than the overall level of general safety, or otherwise, of your driving.

My final 2p is around whether the roads should be the speed they are set at. Of course local residential should be 30 mph, but some defy belief. There is a road near me, almost dead straight for half a mile, proper dual carriageway with central reservation, two lanes throughout, no side roads whatsoever, and no pedestrian pavement on either side. The speed limit....40 mph, wtf! No one drives it at 40, no one. The risk of driving at 55mph rather than 40, virtually zero, but the police watch it like hawks all the same. That’s what annoys people, not 20 mph near a school.

Btw I speak having never got a point in my life (and I don't speed from the moment I get in the car either, before you say it lol)

It's probably the road where the local councillors or a high-ranking police officer lives.

To the point above, what tees me off most is the fact that the general lowering of speed limits is believed to be an inherent factor in improving road safety. This obsession with the fact that a number on a stick will make a road safer is nonsense. Speed limits need to be set at a limit the general driving public will accept and can see as being reasonable for the situation. 20mph outside a school - yes, fine. 30mph in built up areas - yes, fine, but the 40mph on the dual carriageway above and the lowering of a whole host of previously NSL roads in eg Gloucestershire and Wiltshire to 50mph doesn't, on the face of it, make sense. Accident KPI's don't improve, but the roads are apparently 'safer'.

Another silly thing with speeding fines. Up until a while ago the local Police/Camera Partnerships could keep the money from fines but then the Government changes the rules and all fines from speed cameras now goes to the Treasury. So what do Police/Camera Partnerships do, they introduce so called 'Speed Awareness' courses which you can opt to take (and pay for) instead of the fine and points on your licence. These cost a driver more than the fine and the Police/Camera Partnerships are allowed to keep all the money from them.

Who said Speed Cameras were not about earning money!!!

It's probably the road where the local councillors or a high-ranking police officer lives.

Lol, I'd agree but the road has nothing but trees lining it on either side, honestly just crazy

My gripe, too many in car gadgets and phone distract drivers.. So lower speed limits may be a hidden bonus...

Just thought you may like to know the police do not run the vans, that's the councils job.
But they are buggers.

And here's one disguised ....

Complete with spare wheel and towbar !! 02 plate too, but the van is clearly newer.

Remember, it's not about making money ........

LHsOszN.jpg

And here's one disguised ....

Complete with spare wheel and towbar !! 02 plate too, but the van is clearly newer.

LHsOszN.jpg

That's harsh and sneaky.

Not sure whether the vans have to be marked but there should be the mobile speed camera road signs in the area. Nowadays though, those signs are everywhere and contributing to the ever increasing road sign detritus....

John.

It might not be a speed camera at all, and looking at the state of the spare wheel it seems to me an '02' plate to me...

it is in fact registered on the 27th of June 2002 so I don't think that's Bill.

However one point I would like to make about speed limits and their suitability. I'm sure it's the same every where but around where I live we have many 50mph max roads. Good roads with no houses, nice and wide A roads in fact. Yet if you turn off onto a side road, single track with grass in the middle you pass a derestriction sign. Now try to explain that, particularly to a foreigner..

Just to put the conspiracy theorists minds at rest - as the picture was taken of the white van above, two coppers jumped out of it and asked if he had permission to take photos - to which the reply was that it was a public place, and no permission was needed.

More mobile vans:

0ffanWv.jpg

ykVy0t8.jpg

Remember, it's not about making money.............

Reactions: The Challinor