Next size up from 323mm?

rhinopower

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Killed a second set of brakes on track today, i'm running Badger5 brembo brackets with junior gt calipers. After less than 500 miles, 100 of them on track, my pagid pads are down to the metal, and warped discs.

I want to put a bigger disc on, has anyone done this already? The caliper will need spacing out from the bracket to accomodate which isnt a problem, and larger bolts. I will chuck a set of 2500's in this time too.

Bill does larger two piece discs for your calipars

It was the 100 miles i did on track at bedford today that really did the damage

Pagid pads, i've always used them for years too. The discs were getting hot and simply not cooling down quick enough. They were blue every time i came back in to the pits after 5/6 laps.

330mm 2 piece Badger5 conversion, like so:

5FFF15F9-84D4-4BCC-96A2-BF0C5244CBD6_zpswvlhub1j.jpg

Standard LCR pagid pads from ECP

Well there's your problem!

Don't go spending thousands upgrading your brakes when actually you need to bleed them with Motul RBF660, fit proper actual pads (read DS3000's) and a set of brake cooling plates and ducts.

thing is prawn was running lcr brakes and was more than happy with them until he started using slicks and along with big power, thats when he felt he needed an upgrade and i know there isnt anyone as hard on the brakes as he is
in the 8l section lol

Prawn did a sub 8 of the ring on road tires and LCR's in a FWD hatchback with about 45bhp.

Same trip, my S3 with 312's got put into the Armco.

Nuff said. It's science, 312's are a crash magnet hahahaha.

Stop exaggerating :laugh:

Your issue is pads. And cooling. Not discs.

Also, the pads in the above pic are only about 70% worn, nowhere bear the metal.

The discs won't be warped, this doesn't really happen, it'll be pad deposits from youths reheating pads breaking down causing the judder.

Lcr brakes with stock discs, added cooling and proper pads (NOT 2500's) will be more than adequate for 99% of people for any track use.

The surprise is I used pagid pads on my old track car, a mk3 fiesta, and never had to replace them, previous experience told me it would be ok :)

How much do you charge for ds3000 Bill?

Can someone point me in the right direction and pictures of cooling setups on an s3?

No, because there aren't any pictures of brake cooling setups on S3's. The closest you will get is Prawn's thread. Hand tight though because I'm fitting all the bits I have on Thursday so you can watch mine then.

DS3000's are £150 on Bills site, + delivery. Well worth it.

Fiestas are much lighter and slower cars, and maybe your driving has improved to a point where you are using the brakes correctly so they are getting more use.

The surprise is I used pagid pads on my old track car, a mk3 fiesta, and never had to replace them, previous experience told me it would be ok :)

Can someone point me in the right direction and pictures of cooling setups on an s3?
look at the curb weight for a mk3 fiesta fwd, then look at the curb weight for an 8l s3 4wd, then take a brief moment to think about it, maybe step out side so you can see and think more clearly

I'm just going to pop in and invade if you don't mind is it worth getting 323mm discs instead of 312s for an Agu at 235bhp for daily usage and the odd track day or will 312s front and 256 rears with ds2500-3000 sufficient :laugh: Thanks and sorrrry

To be fair to Rhino, I was on track with him all day and his S3 took an absolute beating both at his hands and at that of another friend who gives racing tuition.

Was a ****** good day out though.

Weights a factor here.. lot more effort/heat byproduct slowing down heavier cars
DS3000's for what calipers the brembos? £139 + delivery if so

Yeah for the brembos! I'm out to abu dhabi next week but will order a set when i get back :)

And yes i really did get down to the metal! I think this one pad de-laminated hence my foot going flat to the floor. The wear sensor was flapping around! lol

Reactions: Oranoco, Mrharris2, superkarl and 1 other person
Need to see what I can do with my A4 stoppers for Feb. Boiled my fluid after 10 laps even with synthetic fluid. May look at the ducting as above.

There isn't anything to like about the above picture.

Going out on track in a ton and a half of car with standard pads and wearing to the metal is not only wasteful but incredibly dangerous to the driver and other drivers.

Did you not check your brakes before and during the day and assess the wear and realise it wasn't going to last the day?

Sorry to moan :(

As soon as an issue became apparent he stopped and the car didn't go out again. The pads had about 500 miles on them so we wouldn't have expected them to die that quickly.

I'm still on the same set of Brembo pads I fitted about 8,000 miles and 2 track days ago.

I don't think anybody is actually saying they find the deliberate use of something iffy on track is funny

Lol. They looked alright earlier in the day. Only 1 of the 4 pads went to the metal. Only went out for 4-5 laps at a time, as soon as the smell of brakes started I pulled in to the pit lane to cool off.

Quit moaning Jardos :laugh:

You didn't get all high and mighty on me when I did these:

Reactions: Mrharris2
But you didn't moan about not being able to brake and excessive wear afterwards.

I don't know why I care anymore haha.