Next Oil Change date moved forward?

Kuljit Singh

Reaction score
Hi guys and Happy New Year. So i"ve got a strange situation. My A3 8V has always been on a 2 year/19k flexible service/inspection plan as shown on the MMI, the next oil change and next inspection date and miles have always been consistant.

I"ve uploaded a older photo showing this from 2019. So i last serviced my car in June 2020 from my local Indy as it was due then (unfortunately didnt take a photo of the MMI service screen then).

They reset the service/inspection schedule so it showed next due in 2 years /19K miles again.

I drive about 5K a year max. Today all of a sudden the next oil change message popped up showing due in 31 days. I have uploaded a photo of this.

When i went to the MMI to check the next inspection date/mileage, its at the correct date when the next flexible service is due (155 days making it June 2022) but the next oil change date has moved 5 months earlier all of a sudden to around February.

Does anyone know how to fix this and make both due dates back consistant? Also what has caused this? Im really discombobulated here as i only drive 5k max a year.

Please kindly advice. Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220101-234851_QuickPic.jpg
    Screenshot_20220101-234851_QuickPic.jpg
    833.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 20220101_185248.jpg
    20220101_185248.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 91
They're not supposed to be consistent. Depends on driving conditions. Your driving habits have probably changed due to Covid etc.

They're not supposed to be consistent. Depends on driving conditions. Your driving habits have probably changed due to Covid etc.
I have had the car since Jan 2019, and both next inspection/oil change date/mileage remained consistant even after a full service/inspection that was done and reset in June 2020, its up until yesterday that the oil change message appeared 5 months earlier. Its strange because my driving habbits and journey is 95% the same each week.

Could it be a glitch with the on board computer/mmi? Is there anyway to make the next oil change date back consistent with the next inspection date?

I wouldn't leave a car service for 2 years, even an interim everyother year is advisable as 5k is small mileage.

Ignore dates, just use mileage based unless its been over a year.

I used to believe in the 2 year service idea, but that was many years ago & then I saw some engine conditions of bi-yearly servicing, which changed my thought process, oil condition looked pretty dyer, thats not to say every car is the same, just decided I'd be happy to do a service more often to have peace of mind.

Reactions: Potterswheel
I wouldn't leave a car service for 2 years, even an interim everyother year is advisable as 5k is small mileage.

I used to believe in the 2 year service idea, but that was many years ago & then I saw some engine conditions of bi-yearly servicing, which changed my thought process, oil condition looked pretty dyer, thats not to say every car is the same, just decided I'd be happy to do a service more often to have peace of mind.
I do get just my oil changed in between every 2 years by my mate just for my own peace of mind (so every year but its not on paper) and i dont reset oil change then, but to maintain my service history i do have a full service done every 2 years by the Indy as my car is on flexible service plan.

So techically my oil got change last this June, and i"ve only done around 2.5k since the oil was changed. I still dont understand why the oil change message has popped up.

Is there way to make it back consistent with the inspection date? Or do i just need to reset it in mmi and then end up with 2 seperate dates for inspection and oil change? Thanks.

In the depths of the Audi owners manual they do not recommend the bi-annual service for low mileage usage especially stop start journeys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My main gripe of the thread is not how often we service our cars. Its the fact that all of a sudden how the next oil change date/miles has moved foward 5 months earlier. Previously both inspection and oil change dates/miles have been consistent during my past 3.5 years of ownership.

I was wondering if anyone else experianced this problem? And if there is any solution to get the next oil change date back consistent with the next inspection date currently showing on the MMI. Thank you.

Oil change date has probably been ticking down in the background for some time. It only pops up 31 days before the car has calculated it is due. As Wibbly says, down to driving style. Take the car for a 300 mile motorway run and the change date will probably be pushed back. (My 1.8 did this) Possible due to the algorithm calculating the absorbed moisture in the oil has largely been removed?
The 2 year thing is to reduce servicing cost for fleet buyers, not for owners 7 years down the line. Fleet buyers and Audi don't care if the engines only last 80,000 miles instead of 150,000 for the sake of an extra £200 (£50 if you do it yourself) oil and filter change every other year.

Reactions: JohnM100, Wibbly and Kuljit Singh
Oil i get changed each year, every 2 years by the Indy to maintain service history and every inbetween year by my ex-mechanic friend. Thats just for my peace of mind so i know the oil has been changed yearly even though it will be every 2 years on paper lol.

I will carry on driving and see if it goes back normal, otherwise i will just reset the next oil change message uing Carista. Thanks for the insight guys.

The 2 year thing is to reduce servicing cost for fleet buyers, not for owners 7 years down the line. Fleet buyers and Audi don't care if the engines only last 80,000 miles instead of 150,000 for the sake of an extra £200 (£50 if you do it yourself) oil and filter change every other year.
... and in the UK alone we're still "supposed" to change rubber cam belts at 5 years - increasing our costs and the dealer's coffers - but I guess there aren't many fleet cars that old so it doesn't affect them. Still deciding if to get mine done at the 7yr mark/45K miles :readit:

... and in the UK alone we're still "supposed" to change rubber cam belts at 5 years - increasing our costs and the dealer's coffers - but I guess there aren't many fleet cars that old so it doesn't affect them. Still deciding if to get mine done at the 7yr mark/45K miles :readit:
I think Audi AG initially recommended 8yrs so you are nearly there, a new engine would be around £7k plus install , sort of focuses 400-500quid for a belt

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I think Audi AG initially recommended 8yrs so you are nearly there, a new engine would be around £7k plus install , sort of focuses 400-500quid for a belt

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
I've never seen the 8 year figure you mention for the 8V. Where are you getting that from?
It's also not just the cost of a belt, it's also the risk of them messing something up whilst doing it and causing a failure down the road as a result... So it's really not obvious to me when it's most sensible to get it changed...

Reactions: Wibbly