Next model A3

@wab172uk

EU are bringing in mandatory speed limiters for cars a bit like stop/start so you will have to manually turn it off every ignition cycle!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Yes, I know that. But I think some time not too far in the distance, legislation will be brought in to cap BHP at certain engine sizes. Look at Ferrari? The new `Baby` Ferrari has 710bhp. You cannot seriously justify that kind of power on a road car these days. The car is just too damn fast to be any fun on the roads. Maybe in some countries it's better, but here in the UK, you'll run out of talent trying to get it up to speed.

Hot hatches with 400bhp. Yeah, they're quick, but anyone growing up and owning hot hatches in the 90's will know the cars back then were a lot less powerful, but a lot more fun to drive.

It can't keep going on and on. The next gen hot hatches will have 500bhp. The gen after that 600bhp. Because the next gen car will always have to be quicker than the last. And manufacturers chasing 0-60 times to beat their rivals. Ring lap times to beat their rivals. It's constant, `we have to be faster` than our rivals.

It's getting bonkers.

Last edited:
Reactions: KenL and Bryant1998
Looks better in the autogefuhl youtube video and l honestly think it looks good...and when the GTI/R it will look even better

Looks too soft imo, too many curvy features instead of aggressive straight lines, same with the new A3, can’t see the R, S & RS models having enough aggressive styling to offset the curves on the main body panels, after all, the only real body differences will be bumpers, wings and spoilers...

Hopefully I’m wrong, but as I tell the Mrs, that don’t happen ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks better in the autogefuhl youtube video and l honestly think it looks good...and when the GTI/R it will look even better

The GTi & R need to look exceptional as that exterior & interior are VERY uninspiring to me mate .... very bland !!!

Reactions: Kayobong
My Ford dealer said that RS cars were no more!

Fiesta ST alloys on the Golf. The car looks ok just a bit bland.

Reactions: AlS3BE
Fiesta ST alloys on the Golf. The car looks ok just a bit bland.
Mk2 Focus ST alloys on a New A1
Actually l liked the alloys on the Golf
The MMI screen shape looked Korean in shape and style although the graphics were high quality
Again it'll look better in the metal they all do

Reactions: KenL
Mk2 Focus ST alloys on a New A1
Actually l liked the alloys on the Golf
The MMI screen shape looked Korean in shape and style although the graphics were high quality
Again it'll look better in the metal they all do
Agreed, it look ok but it’s just a bit bland, most mass production cars are. The differences between models are disappearing as try and re use as many common parts as possible.

A big mistake having pretty much everything controlled from the screen.
Having had my ST for 2 weeks I can confirm that a touch screen is not that safe! At least it has essential features available via buttons or voice control.

Ncap could soon reverse this trend by including this in their safety assessment and awarding of stars.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Jassyo06 and TYb
I see the new Golf 8 has been released (24th). Hopefully the new A3 will follow soon.

Not a fan of the interior.

Few things.

The front end looks wrong. Hopefully the GTI & R models will get better bumpers to make it look better
The Dashboard looks awful, and while CarWow don't show it on that clip, the dashboard lights up, just like the A-Class. Which also looks awful.

But the main thing for me, is the lack of buttons and dials. So now to turn up or turn down the air-con, you have to take your eyes off the road, and play around with the infotainment system, which will probably mean having to go into sub-menu's to get to the climate control setting. All this while the car is bouncing around, where you might hit the wrong menu button. A simple dial is far easier to reach, and you can keep your eyes on the road.

No wonder the car can accelerate, brake, and steer itself. It'll have to because you'll be looking at a screen rather than the road. How these screens are deemed safe by legislators is beyond me?

Leave the Ipad tech for your phone or Ipad. Have car dashboard with less tech and more emphasis on actually driving.

The other thing that was debated before on here, but we said it wouldn't happen. It looks like the car comes packed with all the options (tech wise) and you can pay more for it and download the pass key. Great for consumers, but maybe not for the manufacturer. Because surely, people bought new cars to get better tech or features. So you maybe buy an `L`, upgrade to a `GL`, then over time upgrade to a `Ghia`. Now? Buy the engine you want, and the tech you can afford at the time. And now instead of buying a new car in 2-3 years time, you just upgrade the tech for a small fee, and you don't need to upgrade the car. Less money for VW.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Kayobong
Few things.

The front end looks wrong. Hopefully the GTI & R models will get better bumpers to make it look better
The Dashboard looks awful, and while CarWow don't show it on that clip, the dashboard lights up, just like the A-Class. Which also looks awful.

But the main thing for me, is the lack of buttons and dials. So now to turn up or turn down the air-con, you have to take your eyes off the road, and play around with the infotainment system, which will probably mean having to go into sub-menu's to get to the climate control setting. All this while the car is bouncing around, where you might hit the wrong menu button. A simple dial is far easier to reach, and you can keep your eyes on the road.

No wonder the car can accelerate, brake, and steer itself. It'll have to because you'll be looking at a screen rather than the road. How these screens are deemed safe by legislators is beyond me?

Leave the Ipad tech for your phone or Ipad. Have car dashboard with less tech and more emphasis on actually driving.

The other thing that was debated before on here, but we said it wouldn't happen. It looks like the car comes packed with all the options (tech wise) and you can pay more for it and download the pass key. Great for consumers, but maybe not for the manufacturer. Because surely, people bought new cars to get better tech or features. So you maybe buy an `L`, upgrade to a `GL`, then over time upgrade to a `Ghia`. Now? Buy the engine you want, and the tech you can afford at the time. And now instead of buying a new car in 2-3 years time, you just upgrade the tech for a small fee, and you don't need to upgrade the car. Less money for VW.

Totally with all that :icon thumright:

As I noted a few posts - yes the GTi and R really need to look radically different to the car in the video.

The front lights just look squashed and the lack of buttons on the interior is also a concern to me.

Things as you say which you just want 'at hand' like the hot/cold blower speed and temp - if you have to dig that out the MMI each time that will be a faff and potentially dangerous.

I dunno, maybe i was expecting too much from all the hype about the next model Golf, but it just seems to be a bit safe. I appreciate that a lot of work must of gone on in regards to efficiency and under the skin stuff, but to me its more of a Golf MK 7.5. I had visions of a radical move to something more refreshing to shake up the jelly moulds of late.

Compare the Golf to these & no comparison imo ... Merc have raised their game & these are 2 seriously good looking cars ....

Reactions: TYb
Compare the Golf to these & no comparison imo ... Merc have raised their game & these are 2 seriously good looking cars ....

Well go buy one mate if that's what appeals to you simple as that
I could spend all day posting what's wrong with the Merc design inside and out ....like l have said all along...
"Raised the game"....never and your first person l have heard saying that....

Reactions: Bryant1998
Well go buy one mate if that's what appeals to you simple as that
I could spend all day posting what's wrong with the Merc design inside and out ....like l have said all along...
"Raised the game"....never and your first person l have heard saying that....

Visually ... Merc have raised their game & more so compared to that bland Golf.

I’m still waiting to see what the final S3 / RS3 will look like but yes at the moment the Merc is the car to beat for me.

Having driven a new Q3 yesterday no-one would want that interior in an A3, far too much plastic in it. Let's hope Audi have learned something, however I doubt it...

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Having driven a new Q3 yesterday no-one would want that interior in an A3, far too much plastic in it. Let's hope Audi have learned something, however I doubt it...

The dashboard design has probably been signed off over a year ago. Maybe while designing the Q3 dashboard. So any feedback of `too much plastic` will have to wait till the next gen A3. Unless of course sales bomb, which they won't as unlike people like us will go elsewhere, the majority will just buy it due to it being an Audi.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin

I’m still waiting to see what the final S3 / RS3 will look like but yes at the moment the Merc is the car to beat for me.

I reckon it is the M340i xdrive

Reactions: TYb, BarryG79 and Snake Pliskin

"Their own game"...!!!!but they have never been renowned for good looking cars in the past....mate,the best looking Mercs are they E class coupes/convertibles etc etc
In general their design is Gaudy inside and out
l was in Hamilton Audi yesterday getting ripped off for my cars 2nd service..oil ****** change to be exact....they had 2 PFL Rs3s for sale Catalunya and a Sepang...they looked so old compared to everything else on the Forecourts l actually felt sorry for them even if they sound great....they were parked next to a couple of pre regy RS5's....stunning looking Carbon Editions kinda car that would be right up your street as you dont do a lot of miles...5-9%APR both under £60k
my type of car as well as l could easily afford one if l didnt do 10k miles a year

The Q3's interior has been given good reviews by the motoring press...you say too much plastic? as all car interiors of mass produced cars are mostly made of plastic in various forms or another how can there be too much

Reactions: AlS3BE, Bellasdad and KenL
The Q3's interior has been given good reviews by the motoring press...you say too much plastic? as all car interiors of mass produced cars are mostly made of plastic in various forms or another how can there be too much

I think the trick with some manufacturers is nicer softer plastics as opposed to the cheap scratchy plastics your milk or eggs come in.
to be fair been in a lot of cars recently and they are all bad for overusing cheap plastics. Felt my old golf had better finishes.
What really annoys me is in some motoring reviews on YouTube you see them feeling plastics by their feet and generally places your hands won’t be. Who cares if they use cheap plastics there as long as the dash and doors felts nice as your hands is always around there.

"Their own game"...!!!!but they have never been renowned for good looking cars in the past....mate,the best looking Mercs are they E class coupes/convertibles etc etc
In general their design is Gaudy inside and out
l was in Hamilton Audi yesterday getting ripped off for my cars 2nd service..oil ****** change to be exact....they had 2 PFL Rs3s for sale Catalunya and a Sepang...they looked so old compared to everything else on the Forecourts l actually felt sorry for them even if they sound great....they were parked next to a couple of pre regy RS5's....stunning looking Carbon Editions kinda car that would be right up your street as you dont do a lot of miles...5-9%APR both under £60k
my type of car as well as l could easily afford one if l didnt do 10k miles a year

yeah I must say the RS5 is a car that has turned my head and is a possibility but after my last car an S5 I don’t miss those HUGE doors and the sportbacks doors are great.
The sportback rs5 is just too big for me before you say it lol.

Reactions: NevMan
Audi CAN still make amazing looking cars.
We just need some of this translated down to the new S3 / RS3 :icon thumright:

The dashboard design has probably been signed off over a year ago. Maybe while designing the Q3 dashboard. So any feedback of `too much plastic` will have to wait till the next gen A3. Unless of course sales bomb, which they won't as unlike people like us will go elsewhere, the majority will just buy it due to it being an Audi.
I was also basing my comment on other models Audi have released recently and I doubt if the next A3 will have an interior any better or comparable in quality than the current A4. Audi's trend with their interiors has been been going into reverse with their quality..

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and NevMan
Yep, a fact, plastic silver covered interior door handles to start with. If you've not actually sat in one, or driven the car, then you won't know. Compared with my A4 a definite backwards step...

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and NevMan
I think the trick with some manufacturers is nicer softer plastics as opposed to the cheap scratchy plastics your milk or eggs come in.
to be fair been in a lot of cars recently and they are all bad for overusing cheap plastics. Felt my old golf had better finishes.
What really annoys me is in some motoring reviews on YouTube you see them feeling plastics by their feet and generally places your hands won’t be. Who cares if they use cheap plastics there as long as the dash and doors felts nice as your hands is always around there.
I feel because manufacturers are having to provide more options as standard this possibly has led to cost cutting elsewhere...

Reactions: KenL