Next model A3

I'm going to get really weird here, but how do you find the smell of your A45?

Every new car has a certain smell. A new car smell. And I've noticed the smell varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. When I test drove the A35 the cabin had a certain smell. Quite a sweet sickly smell. I noticed it straight away, and after a few hours I was pleased to get out of the car.

It was a demo car, so the dealer might use a certain product to clean it with. But if that smell comes from the factory, then that alone would put me off buying a car.

I do seem to have a heightened sense of smell to others I know, so might just be me.

I did say I'm going to get weird. :whistle2:

Hmmm I can't say I've noticed anything unusual lol :)
I would say yes maybe the Dealer sprayed somthing in it.

Reactions: wab172uk
Cheers Spike, I think the pure grey paint makes it stand out against a "standard" GTI, even though the colour is a nightmare to keep looking good. I added some TPI spacers last month, I was surprised how much of a difference it made to the stance.
You got any pics of the car mate? Not seen a TCR on the road and my local VW hasn't had one.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Reactions: KenL
You got any pics of the car mate? Not seen a TCR on the road and my local VW hasn't had one.

Just for you @Adam14

20200216 135338 resized

20191229 154748 resized 1

TCR 4

The 900 plate is a new edition, which is why the plates are different in the pictures.

Reactions: Kayobong, Snake Pliskin, NevMan and 8 others
I love a good Golf.

Reactions: Chris4410
Looks great, what’s the stats on it?

It's 290bhp, to date the most powerful GTI ever built by VW. It has a very clever differential so handles the power very well. Not as quick off the line as an R but its much lighter and more enjoyable to drive.

Reactions: NevMan, KenL, Jcbmally and 1 other person
It's 290bhp, to date the most powerful GTI ever built by VW. It has a very clever differential so handles the power very well. Not as quick off the line as an R but its much lighter and more enjoyable to drive.

That’s not bad! What car did you have before?

Just for you @Adam14

View attachment 200552
View attachment 200553
View attachment 200554

The 900 plate is a new edition, which is why the plates are different in the pictures.

lt's grey paint job sets it aside to most other performance Golf variants ie a little more unique and the colour palette does give the car a sportier stance but you and l have totally different tastes in paint colours mate l would never buy a bright yellow car but the grey is very acceptable lol....every golf R l see is in Lapiz blue...much akin to every Ford ST was in Performance blue...

Reactions: NevMan, Adam14 and KenL
So true Jassy. My red mk8 ST is the only one I have seen in the flesh that is not Performane Blue. Not that great a colour.
The limited release ST Performance Edition in orange with better suspension and lighter wheels looks great. 26k for a Fiesta though, I'm not so sure. Discounts are available though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jassyo06
Had to lookup the TCR as it was new to me. What’s VW’s reason for offering a GTI that delivers bhp so close to an R? Is the TCR more track focused, something else?

Looks nice, glad you’ve got something you’re happy with after the disappointment with the A35.

Cheers!

Chris

It’s based on the VW touring car racing edition.

Reactions: Chris.D
lt's grey paint job sets it aside to most other performance Golf variants ie a little more unique and the colour palette does give the car a sportier stance but you and l have totally different tastes in paint colours mate l would never buy a bright yellow car but the grey is very acceptable lol....every golf R l see is in Lapiz blue...much akin to every Ford ST was in Performance blue...

The TCR is available in a number of other colours, however the pure grey paint is exclusive to the TCR and that’s one of the reasons I went for it. I think there is only one other pure grey one in Northern Ireland, at the most two so it’s pretty rare to see another one.

I’m not sure I would buy another yellow car, but I think the A35 really suited it and having seen numerous A35s in other colours the yellow was definitely the best.

Yellow = a brave choice!

So true Jassy. My red mk8 ST is the only one I have seen in the flesh that is not Performane Blue. Not that great a colour.
The limited release ST Performance Edition in orange with better suspension and lighter wheels looks great. 26k for a Fiesta though, I'm not so sure. Discounts are available though.
My uncle has just got a new ST estate in Fury orange! Think that's the colour, looks good.

Preferred his "tangerine scream" ST estate 13 plate before that though in terms of comparing colours.

You can buy all the Performance Edition parts for your car direct through Ford. That's what I was going to do, but keep the standard 18" wheels. Much prefer the look of them.

Just like the Focus RS, most are bought in Blue. I preferred the Blue, as I prefer Blue on my cars, but was also considered Grey, just so it wasn't another Blue Fiesta ST kicking about.

You can buy all the Performance Edition parts for your car direct through Ford. That's what I was going to do, but keep the standard 18" wheels. Much prefer the look of them.

Just like the Focus RS, most are bought in Blue. I preferred the Blue, as I prefer Blue on my cars, but was also considered Grey, just so it wasn't another Blue Fiesta ST kicking about.

Strange you guys all agree how popular blue fiesta st’s are when around me they’re mostly red (a good 75%) then white and black then everything else! Must be geographical trends?

Strange you guys all agree how popular blue fiesta st’s are when around me they’re mostly red (a good 75%) then white and black then everything else! Must be geographical trends?

Are they STs or ST-line. Tricky to tell apart and the ST-line is not available in that blue.

Having purchased ten A3 on a bank loan or PCP my latest car is a Q3 sport 40 DSG Quattro which I bought cash. I started with a PCP to get the discount associated with the PCP but after a couple of weeks paid off the PCP. I inherited some money from the sale of my mothers bungalow when she went into a care home. This was earning less in the bank than the interest rate on the PCP so I just paid off the PCP and now own the car outright

Reactions: NevMan and Ormesome
Frankly it looks as dull as the current Golf R.

Reactions: wab172uk and Adam14

Agreed, I don't get the point of the Golf R. Always loved the GTI and that would be the one for me over the R.

Agreed, I don't get the point of the Golf R. Always loved the GTI and that would be the one for me over the R.

Golf R 4wd more power,GTI front wheel drive less power that's the point mate

Reactions: Mr Freeze and Bryant1998
Golf R 4wd more power,GTI front wheel drive less power that's the point mate

Yes, I understand that but is the GTI a better car to own/drive. GTI still has the best image, no?

Yes, I understand that but is the GTI a better car to own/drive. GTI still has the best image, no?
Reason the Golf R became boring to see/popular was because of the silly cheap personal lease deals that became available 6 months after its launch...£300 a month £2500 down at the most....VAG made a fortune from it......think this started in early in 2016

Reason the Golf R became boring to see/popular was because of the silly cheap personal lease deals that became available 6 months after its launch...£300 a month £2500 down at the most....VAG made a fortune from it......think this started in early in 2016
I see so many R's its unreal and almost all are on a personal lease, and they are Cheap! I always ask and most pay just over £200 a month with deposits of between £900 and £1200 over two years and 6000 miles. Deals like this are nuts and 1) have flooded the market with the model 2) put people in to vehicles who should not really be able to afford them 3) created a massive demand for milage blockers, and I mean massive 4) created a fleet of dodgy used vehicles. Most of these cars have been ragged to hell, and because of point 3 have incorrect indicated milage.

Reactions: NevMan, Kayobong, wab172uk and 5 others

Follows on from the R32 doesn’t it, but R20 from R32 sounds like a downgrade

Also different price points, S3 is more than a Golf R, which is more than a GTI etc

I see so many R's its unreal and almost all are on a personal lease, and they are Cheap! I always ask and most pay just over £200 a month with deposits of between £900 and £1200 over two years and 6000 miles. Deals like this are nuts and 1) have flooded the market with the model 2) put people in to vehicles who should not really be able to afford them 3) created a massive demand for milage blockers, and I mean massive 4) created a fleet of dodgy used vehicles. Most of these cars have been ragged to hell, and because of point 3 have incorrect indicated milage.
Very well summed up, although point 4 is worrying!

Very well summed up, although point 4 is worrying!
Extremely. Have had a few vehicles here with Instrument Cluster and Transmission Control Module milage mismatches. Most of these cars come from auction as for the most part that were lease companies throw the cars once a contract is up but I have seen a couple from main dealers also.

Reactions: NevMan

Agree with every point you make. I feel sorry for anyone who actually bought a Golf R outright. As you say the market is flooded, so values will fall. And getting a genuine car will be tough. Maybe the genuine ones will be the high mileage bought outright cars. But then most people will go for the low mileage (possibly clocked) cars.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/103321/new-328bhp-2020-volkswagen-golf-r

Some new information on the new Golf R with 328bhp and when it expected be released.

Bodes well for the next S3 then. Funny how some car reviewers were quoting the S3 having the same 296 bhp as current car.

It would be a massive own goal for Audi if that was the case. But can't see it myself.

Probably means the next RS3 having 420bhp+ to keep it ahead of the A45 S and upcoming 400bhp+ Focus RS,

Never understood why VW made the `R` so boring to look at. The GTI always looked better. You'd think the `Top of the tree` car would have the better styling.

But this new MK8. They've even made the GTI look as dull as dishwater. The GTD even gets better looking alloys the the GTI gets.

The S3 has always had understated looks, but compared to the Golf R, it looks far better.

Reactions: N.J.H, KenL and Chris4410
Extremely. Have had a few vehicles here with Instrument Cluster and Transmission Control Module milage mismatches. Most of these cars come from auction as for the most part that were lease companies throw the cars once a contract is up but I have seen a couple from main dealers also.

How do people get away with this if the odometer doesn't match the ECU? Surely it would be easy to detect and be picked up during a main dealer service and anyone leasing the car has to declare the mileage to be genuine when handing back.

How do people get away with this if the odometer doesn't match the ECU? Surely it would be easy to detect and be picked up during a main dealer service and anyone leasing the car has to declare the mileage to be genuine when handing back.
Lease companies and places like We Buy Any Car don't have the tools or the knowledge to check for these things. They will check that the car runs, tyre and bodywork condition and then ship the vehicle off to action so that it becomes someone else problem. Dealerships are pretty much the same however any high spec and saleable vehicles they will keep and throw on their forecourt, again they don't do any checks when buying, only the supposed 50 million point check before sale. Instrument Cluster and Engine Control Unit are easy to adjust but a gearbox never lies but people are too lazy to check. I see problem used approved vehicles all the time, milage issues through to mapped.