Next model A3

I would be more worried how they are going to ruin it.
Just read an article on the new s6. It’s a 3.0 v6 diesel now with 320 bhp where as the out going model is a 4.0v8 with 450bhp.

On the configurator the S6's 3.0 TDI outputs 350 bhp in the UK at least, granted it's still 100 short of the old model.

On the configurator the S6's 3.0 TDI outputs 350 bhp in the UK at least, granted it's still 100 short of the old model.

Last bitdi was 320 so not really much more to the old c7 bitdi.
Newer ones should be better in every way. So less power less cylinders also oil burner and I bet they charge more for the new one too.
I don’t think in the history of s/rs cars from Audi that the newer models came with less power than the outgoing one.

Last bitdi was 320 so not really much more to the old c7 bitdi.
Newer ones should be better in every way. So less power less cylinders also oil burner and I bet they charge more for the new one too.
I don’t think in the history of s/rs cars from Audi that the newer models came with less power than the outgoing one.

It’s just Porsche’s left overs by the looks of it and Audi are doing anything to cut costs at the moment, it’s a shame as they’ve almost killed the step from S3 to S4,5....

Will be interesting what the latest BMW 335d’s produce.

But the diesel has 700Nm of torque, compared with 549Nm of the old car. I think that is a more important figure than just power...

But the diesel has 700Nm of torque, compared with 549Nm of the old car. I think that is a more important figure than just power...

Petrol in nature are high revving and more fun to drive. Part of the fun is Rev matching and keeping in the power band and the sound of the v8 is awesome. It’s not just about the power and torque.
Driven a c7 s6 before and it was a great engine and a nice sound to it. I’ve owned a C7 3.0tdi(272) and you are definitely not going to get the sound of a v8 from that even with that speaker thing in the exhaust they had in the bitdi.

It’s just sad another good engine losing out to emissions and cost cutting.
Main thing I don’t get is why it’s less power. If they gonna use a diesel take the engine from the sq7 instead. Maybe they saving it for the new rs6.

I agree with you and, on more appropriate threads, I have vigorously stated that Audi have made a huge error of judgement. Thus you seem to have have incorrectly assumed I am for them. I will never own a diesel for the reasons you state...

It’s just Porsche’s left overs by the looks of it and Audi are doing anything to cut costs at the moment, it’s a shame as they’ve almost killed the step from S3 to S4,5....

Will be interesting what the latest BMW 335d’s produce.

I Would'nt say PEEPS going from a S3 TO S4/S5 was for performance reasons as the 310ps S3 is more than a match for the PETROL variant....S4/S5...MORE like for space and comfort reasons.
The change to DERV is to compete with BMW/Mercedes Through Fleet sales 4 series/C class etc etc.....Audi will sell more Derv S4/S5s than they did petrol variants now soley because of the derv engine

I would be more worried how they are going to ruin it.
Just read an article on the new s6. It’s a 3.0 v6 diesel now with 320 bhp where as the out going model is a 4.0v8 with 450bhp.

700NM though and they hardly sold any s6 NA V8's....rarer than Hens Teeth

I know it’s not official yet but does anyone know roughly when the S3 will be released? Looking online there seems to be some conflicting info on when we can see the new A3 on the roads, ranging from end of this year to March next year. I do hope the S3 is not left until late next year, as ideally I’d like one for the summer if I decide to go for it.

Never in showrooms come March 2020...more like next October for the Next S3

Reactions: BrummieLad
Well we know we won’t have no more pops and bangs for sure unless the after market comes up with something.

Doesnt stop BMW engines popping and banging...anyway....chill mate Yuv a wee wait in front of ye...and l think the RRP list price with no discount available may scare ye off never mind the £500 bangers road tax

Reactions: BrummieLad
I Would'nt say PEEPS going from a S3 TO S4/S5 was for performance reasons as the 310ps S3 is more than a match for the PETROL variant....S4/S5...MORE like for space and comfort reasons.
The change to DERV is to compete with BMW/Mercedes Through Fleet sales 4 series/C class etc etc.....Audi will sell more Derv S4/S5s than they did petrol variants now soley because of the derv engine

They should have just called it a normal a6 bitdi rather than calling it the new s6 cause that’s what it is.

It's getting good reviews mate handling and ride are top notch barr the Faux exhaust tips

The exhausts are fake?! That really sucks, best thing about Audi's S cars has to be the quad poo shoots!

Reactions: Jassyo06
The exhausts are fake?! That really sucks, best thing about Audi's S cars has to be the quad poo shoots!

yes they are fake.....and a real **** up by Audi.....but this car aint marketed at the petrol head mate

Reactions: Kayobong
The diesel S4 version and they're on both sides:
IMG 20190818 145844

At least they shouldn't go black and Pitt...

Reactions: TYb and JohnM100
Doesnt stop BMW engines popping and banging...anyway....chill mate Yuv a wee wait in front of ye...and l think the RRP list price with no discount available may scare ye off never mind the £500 bangers road tax

Haha Jassy just trying to do some forward planning. I’m so indecisive at the minute, as there a few other cats on my radar, but I’m biased towards the S3 for reasons unknown

Reactions: Jassyo06
It wouldn’t be so bad if the exhaust wasn’t behind pointing into the ground, p poor from Audi.

Apparently they "have" to with diesels because of the temperature the exhaust gets when the DPF regens.

Reactions: TYb

Good point. I would have considered an S4 or 5 as natural progression. I wouldn’t touch diesel now, I work in Bristol and do not think it’ll be long before a diesel tax is introduced.

Apparently they "have" to with diesels because of the temperature the exhaust gets when the DPF regens.
Interesting, if it’s a genuine injury concern then fair enough, I wonder how many burns there have been to date. I had a TT ultra which re gen’d often, still have all the hairs on my legs.....

Interesting, if it’s a genuine injury concern then fair enough, I wonder how many burns there have been to date. I had a TT ultra which re gen’d often, still have all the hairs on my legs.....

I read somewhere that somebody driving behind a car whilst it was doing a regen had it's bumper melted by it. Not sure how true that is but I've never had a problem with portable blowtorch of an exhuast burning anything, including legs!

Reactions: Chris.D and TYb
£80k!!!
Mate got an rs6 performance for not that much more!!
I was a big fan of the c7 a6 to the point I had 3 of them. Just can’t seem to get myself to like the new c8.

Is the DPF Regen is that dangerous put a F***ing petrol engine in it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They only did that cause everyone on these forums are moaning about black and pitted exhaust tips :wink:

Reactions: cuke2u and TYb
I read somewhere that somebody driving behind a car whilst it was doing a regen had it's bumper melted by it. Not sure how true that is but I've never had a problem with portable blowtorch of an exhuast burning anything, including legs!
Sounds like complete and utter 'pub talk' tosh...

Reactions: AlS3BE

A guy commented on this video (I think!) suggesting it was because due to some legislation which meant the particles had to be pointed down towards the tarmac, again, how true this is I don’t know

Particulates are sub micron in size, meaning they can pass through solid objects. It maybe they are attempting to reduce other emissions whilst the car is stationary but when on the move all exhaust emissions will be spread behind and upwards anyway...

Im on board with the criticism of the exhausts. Not sure why they did it. Must be relating the the amount of emissions the engine produces or the size of the engine. My 2.0tdi Q2 has double rear exhausts that uses the exhasuts, much like the diesel A3 i guess?

As a side note, cant wait till you petrol guys all end up with petrol particualte filter..... they are coming!!! beware!! :haha:

Anyone got any odds on the S3 being a diesel?

https://www.whatcar.com/advice/buyi...articulate-filter-and-how-does-it-work/n19953

With the s6 losing 100bhp(~20% less) and going diesel the new s3 will probably be the 2.0 twin turbo diesel with around 240bhp from the current 300bhp wltp model.

Reactions: Ormesome
With the s6 losing 100bhp(~20% less) and going diesel the new s3 will probably be the 2.0 twin turbo diesel with around 240bhp from the current 300bhp wltp model.
Can’t see that happening, reckon it’ll be a tweak of the existing engine. Haven’t they already confirmed that the GTI and R are retaining a 2 litre petrol unit? Then it’ll be the same for the S3.

Im on board with the criticism of the exhausts. Not sure why they did it. Must be relating the the amount of emissions the engine produces or the size of the engine. My 2.0tdi Q2 has double rear exhausts that uses the exhasuts, much like the diesel A3 i guess?

As a side note, cant wait till you petrol guys all end up with petrol particualte filter..... they are coming!!! beware!! :haha:

https://www.whatcar.com/advice/buyi...articulate-filter-and-how-does-it-work/n19953

My MY19 S3 has a Petrol particulate filter, it’s already here pal and it’s pants!

Reactions: NevMan and Ormesome
Can’t see that happening, reckon it’ll be a tweak of the existing engine. Haven’t they already confirmed that the GTI and R are retaining a 2 litre petrol unit? Then it’ll be the same for the S3.

There’s still hope for the petrol heads then

Reactions: TYb
My MY19 S3 has a Petrol particulate filter, it’s already here pal and it’s pants!

Interesting! whats it like with regenerations? reports say it isnt as bad as a diesel as the petrol gets up to temperature quicker so short runs wont affect it. But, thats marketing obviously. i doubt any petrol gets up to regen hotness in the space of a 5mile commute or a trip to the shops.

Funny how a Thread can go F.U.B.A.R....very quickly on here....

Reactions: Kayobong, cuke2u and NevMan
There’s still hope for the petrol heads then
I think so.

The more I think about what @jassyo06 said re the S6 it does make sense re targeting a bigger audience. It should have been branded differently though like mini do with copper SD.

Reactions: AlS3BE and NevMan
Interesting! whats it like with regenerations? reports say it isnt as bad as a diesel as the petrol gets up to temperature quicker so short runs wont affect it. But, thats marketing obviously. i doubt any petrol gets up to regen hotness in the space of a 5mile commute or a trip to the shops.
In any scenario where a regeneration is required, but not occurring, the car will force one. Just like a diesel, why would a gpf be any different?

Reactions: Ormesome
In any scenario where a regeneration is required, but not occurring, the car will force one. Just like a diesel, why would a gpf be any different?

I know, it wont be any different but im curious due to the marketing. Petrol engines are for lower mileage drivers, diesel for more than 15k per year (give or take). So what do we do now? We are being told that petrol engines are easier to run regens due to heating up quicker and not requiring the time a diesel engine takes to force a regen, but in reality the petrol engines will act very similarly to diesel engines now. @JonW is the only person i know that has a petrol particulate filter so it would be interesting to know what its like in real, every day life.

Reactions: NevMan
Petrol engine heat cycles still do not perform the same as diesels just because they have the same technology. You may need to read up on your physics. Petrol engines still run far hotter than diesels and do you really think they've bolted them onto our cars without thoroughly testing how they'd regenerate?
Regeneration with petrol engines are passive, there is no real need to raise the exhaust temperatures under normal circumstances, unlike diesels. Plus the particulate emissions of a GDI has a mass some 10-30 times smaller than a diesel. Thus regens are further apart and will be shorter in length...

Reactions: NevMan