Next Gen 2021 Audi A3 Sedan Debut

If the Vorsprung is just over £40k that would make the S3 out of my price range. Considering my 2017 S3 was £39,925, £40,455 is eyewateringly expensive.

The S3 and RS3 pricing are going to be scary, an S3 with a few options will be £50k.

I honestly don't think it is worth £50k.

Reactions: Bryant1998 and KenL
Are prices ever adjusted to cater for exchange rates and so on? Or is this only taken into account when new models come out? Just thinking that the price the new A3 is in the UK isn’t far off the EU & Swiss price, which have traditionally been higher.

Because it takes money to buy an A3 Saloon? thus a recession, generally causes a lack of money to most.)? Maybe that is the link? It's called an evolution of conversation. However, I agree, those spending 50k on a car will probably be alright come a recession.

you've got a Crystal Ball have you....that predicts such things .....if l go and buy another S3 yeah it'll easily be over £50k .....given the pricing structure now, your on this planet once and this situation we are all involved in a the moment should really brings this home to everyone...l ain't on furlough l risk my health....going to work as my current job is classed as a essential ....so damn it I'll continue to work and live and buy what l like.....no point in worrying about recessions and the likes when they dont exist .....but people who worry too much about such things well nobody can stop that

Reactions: PeteRS3lee and John Pilkington
For 50k? It won’t be located anywhere nice

Reactions: S32B, Bells, Chris4410 and 1 other person
Because it takes money to buy an A3 Saloon? thus a recession, generally causes a lack of money to most.)? Maybe that is the link? It's called an evolution of conversation. However, I agree, those spending 50k on a car will probably be alright come a recession.

Agree, and was about to reply exactly the same to Jassyo06.

But I would disagree regarding anyone spending £50k on a car would be alright in a recession. It just depends what industry they work in, and how secure their job / income would be.

In a recession, I'd cut as much spending as possible. Self employed and in construction. Double whammy !!!

For me though an S3 is not worth near £50k if that what a well specced one turns out to be. What you can afford, and what you think something is worth is completely different. For me, £50k is RS3 money. But who'd like to be a well specced RS3 will be heading towards £60k once options are ticked?

It's the pompous attitude of people who presume individuals who choose to use PCP can't afford the car, really get on my nerves.

But it's the truth that PCP have got people into car they would otherwise not be able to afford using standard HP or buying outright.

Back in the 90's there were so many Hot Hatches I wanted. But with HP the repayments were just too much for what I earned at that time. Had PCP been around back then, I'd have been in far quicker and more expensive metal, than I otherwise would have.

Just look at the Golf R deals a few years ago. A £30k+ car for just a few hundred quid a month. Bonkers, but absolutely fantastic if you're in your 20's and after a stupidly fast Hot Hatch.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman, Bells and Bryant1998
^^ pompous people are just eejits and ignore them.
PCP was designed to get more people into more expensive cars as often as possible.........think who think designed PCP?
Like wab172uk I spent way too much on good old HP in the 90s.

But it's the truth that PCP have got people into car they would otherwise not be able to afford using standard HP or buying outright.

Back in the 90's there were so many Hot Hatches I wanted. But with HP the repayments were just too much for what I earned at that time. Had PCP been around back then, I'd have been in far quicker and more expensive metal, than I otherwise would have.

Just look at the Golf R deals a few years ago. A £30k+ car for just a few hundred quid a month. Bonkers, but absolutely fantastic if you're in your 20's and after a stupidly fast Hot Hatch.

Maybe thats what some people use it for, for me (and anyone else I know) I use it because I know I won't keep the car beyond the 3 year term of the PCP and therefore it makes no sense to finance the entire amount. If its in negative equity at the end of the term it's someone else's problem, if it's not I have extra money to put into a replacement, win win for my purposes.

Reactions: S32B and KenL
I haven’t reached that level of boredom yet.
For someone in their 20’s I actually quite like it haha (bar Martin Roberts) would love to start a property business doing houses up and selling them on, tv programme is a good example that there’s a lot of money to be made if you know what you’re doing!

Maybe thats what some people use it for, for me (and anyone else I know) I use it because I know I won't keep the car beyond the 3 year term of the PCP and therefore it makes no sense to finance the entire amount. If its in negative equity at the end of the term it's someone else's problem, if it's not I have extra money to put into a replacement, win win for my purposes.
See my parents were always set in their ways that unless you can afford to buy it outright you save up and wait (apart from a house obviously) and that has rubbed off on me hence why I bought my current S3 cash. Purchased used to offset some depreciation but yes it’s still a lot of money tied up but at least I’m not paying interest on monthly payments and I can use my earnings for whatever else.

Only thing I have to worry about is depreciation which is the benefit of PCP because if the value plummets you can just throw the keys back at Audi at the end of the agreement, whereas owning the car you’d have to take the hit.

I’m not against PCP altogether in fact when I have a mortgage myself in the next year or so I may consider chopping in my car and unlocking that cash and go the other way, depends what happens with the economy but let’s not get into that :tearsofjoy:

See my parents were always set in their ways that unless you can afford to buy it outright you save up and wait (apart from a house obviously) and that has rubbed off on me hence why I bought my current S3 cash. Purchased used to offset some depreciation but yes it’s still a lot of money tied up but at least I’m not paying interest on monthly payments and I can use my earnings for whatever else.

Only thing I have to worry about is depreciation which is the benefit of PCP because if the value plummets you can just throw the keys back at Audi at the end of the agreement, whereas owning the car you’d have to take the hit.

I’m not against PCP altogether in fact when I have a mortgage myself in the next year or so I may consider chopping in my car and unlocking that cash and go the other way, depends what happens with the economy but let’s not get into that :tearsofjoy:

But if depreciation falls with expectations, then buying outright will always be the cheapest way to buy a car, as you're not paying any interest. And in recent years, you're not earning much having money sat in the bank.

Reactions: Bells
It all depends on how long you wish to keep a car. 5 years and more you are way better off with purchasing the car and pay it off in 4 years or dependant on finance rates, outright cash purchase. On going PCP/lease payments will keep you in the poor house, unless you can write the car payments off for business tax purposes.
My 2017 S3 is title free and I plan on keeping it for I think at least another couple of years, as I do not have the new car itch which is strange for me as I leased my previous cars for 3- 4 years and wrote the payments off as a business expense. Plus nothing out there for new cars my in price range tickles my fancy.

Reactions: Jassyo06

I would have taken a different approach, I would have used the money you spent on the S3 as a deposit for a house.

I bought my house when I was 22, I didn't start putting any serious money into cars until after this. I was lucky enough to be driving company cars or have a company car allowance from age 21 to 30, so didn't have to shell out a lot of money for cars.

A flat-bottomed steering wheel is another thing that is over-rated.
Got one in my ST, don't see any advantage to them at all.
I certainly would not pay extra for one.
Just my opinion!

Flat bottom steering wheel is “pointless“ but I absolutely adored it on my old A4. Don’t know why but it just made the car feel a bit more special
I paid extra for one on my A5 coupe, being over 6ft it makes it a lot easier getting in and out and gives me a bit more space when driving, well worth the £150 and it looks sporty :)

Wheel

Reactions: SPIKE_
I would have taken a different approach, I would have used the money you spent on the S3 as a deposit for a house.

I bought my house when I was 22, I didn't start putting any serious money into cars until after this. I was lucky enough to be driving company cars or have a company car allowance from age 21 to 30, so didn't have to shell out a lot of money for cars.

I kind of agree, but also disagree. Buying a house is more than just the mortgage payment. Insurance, utility bills, & shopping. I know everyone is different, but in my 20's I was happy still living at home and spunking most of what I had on cars. Saved some into a regular saver which then was used as deposit when I did eventually leave home.

But again, HP back then was double (or more) what PCP is now.

You could put money into a rental property. Homes under the Hammer etc, make it all look good fun, and you'll make 50 squillion quid at the end of it. But then you watch other shows which show tenants wrecking the house and refusing to pay rent pretty much as soon as they move in. I'm that unlucky, I'd get the bad tenants.

But I do regret not buying houses in the 90's before everything Boomed. I was looking at buying 2 houses with £5,000 deposit each. Mortgage £30 a week. Rent £70 a week. No brainer right? No. I test drove a 106 GTI at the same time and `had` to have one. I could be a multi-millionaire property tycoon by now.

I don't regret it though :sorry: :sob: Much ............... :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: KenL, Bells and Bryant1998
I kind of agree, but also disagree. Buying a house is more than just the mortgage payment. Insurance, utility bills, & shopping. I know everyone is different, but in my 20's I was happy still living at home and spunking most of what I had on cars. Saved some into a regular saver which then was used as deposit when I did eventually leave home.

But again, HP back then was double (or more) what PCP is now.

You could put money into a rental property. Homes under the Hammer etc, make it all look good fun, and you'll make 50 squillion quid at the end of it. But then you watch other shows which show tenants wrecking the house and refusing to pay rent pretty much as soon as they move in. I'm that unlucky, I'd get the bad tenants.

But I do regret not buying houses in the 90's before everything Boomed. I was looking at buying 2 houses with £5,000 deposit each. Mortgage £30 a week. Rent £70 a week. No brainer right? No. I test drove a 106 GTI at the same time and `had` to have one. I could be a multi-millionaire property tycoon by now.

I don't regret it though :sorry: :sob: Much ............... :tearsofjoy:

Hindsight, definitely would go back.

Last edited:
I'm not keen on the perforated steering wheels. Feels odd in my hands.
Not noticed it to be honest, but then I don't drive it much and when I do it's not for long distances lol. I just remember test driving the A5 without the flat wheel and it was a bit snug getting in/out :)

Reactions: KenL
But if depreciation falls with expectations, then buying outright will always be the cheapest way to buy a car, as you're not paying any interest. And in recent years, you're not earning much having money sat in the bank.
Yeah I agree that’s the way I look at it, I’m not one to dabble much in shares and stocks so returns with a chunk of cash sat in a bank account are minimal especially at present

Could’ve done I totally agree and my best mate took that same approach. However, when I was buying my S3 at 20 I didn’t feel like I was ready to move out so paying interest on a car I was purchasing seemed a silly choice.

Plus the benefit of owning the car outright is that I’ve been sensible and able to save large chunks every month for the past 3 years as I’ve not got a monthly payment going out for my car, so different horses for courses I guess :icon thumright:

Reactions: Chris100, wab172uk, KenL and 1 other person
I paid extra for one on my A5 coupe, being over 6ft it makes it a lot easier getting in and out and gives me a bit more space when driving, well worth the £150 and it looks sporty :)

View attachment 201831

I've been driving cars with flat bottom steering wheels for so long, I can't imagine going back to a completely round one again.

Reactions: Bells
I've been driving cars with flat bottom steering wheels for so long, I can't imagine going back to a completely round one again.

You might prefer it of you did.

You might prefer it of you did.
I drive cars with both, mine has the flat bottomed steering wheel, my partners a round one but both of us prefer the flat bottomed one. Are you going to insist on what colour shirt I should be wearing next?

Reactions: Bryant1998
Are you going to insist on what colour shirt I should be wearing next?

Eh, nope! Just like I didn't actually say that you would prefer a circular steering wheel.:innocent:

50K, you could used to get something nice with a letter box on it for that.

Colin

Yup Used too....mate..My current S3 was £48k rrp it's a 67 plate MY18 model l chose it over a similar priced RS3 Sportback...which came along with a 8% discount, l got a 15% discount on my S3 Saloon.....My S3 is under £400 a month the RS3 Sportback would have been very doable at £467....but with less options but running cost matter more to me especially when l intended to keep the car for 3 years or more....ergo the S3 Saloon and l still love it to bits,in combination with it's spec and colour it's one of a kind and i'll do the same again

Reactions: pburv, S32B and SPIKE_
Yup Used too....mate..My current S3 was £48k rrp it's a 67 plate MY18 model l chose it over a similar priced RS3 Sportback...which came along with a 8% discount, l got a 15% discount on my S3 Saloon.....My S3 is under £400 a month the RS3 Sportback would have been very doable at £467....but with less options but running cost matter more to me especially when l intended to keep the car for 3 years or more....ergo the S3 Saloon and l still love it to bits,in combination with it's spec and colour it's one of a kind and i'll do the same again

That is one thing I like about the S3 the running costs aren't too bad for the performance you get from it . I like the Rs3 and would love to own one at some point but as a family car its not for us as we do 10k a year and I could imagine the running/maintenance costs being a lot more than the S3 .

Last edited:
Reactions: KenL
That is one thing I like about the S3 the running costs aren't too bad for the performance you get from the S3 . I like the Rs3 and would love to own one at some point but as a family car its not for us as we do 10k a year and I could imagine the running/maintenance costs being a lot more than the S3 .

I’m probably being naive but I don’t see how the maintenance costs would be miles more? Maybe £200 more for your brakes, £15 for the extra spark plug and I can’t think of what else would be different? Surely they use similarly priced oil, filters are cheap items, haldex service must cost the same too?

Yeah I get the running costs but that’s down to driving style lol

(Not tryna start an argument lol genuinely curious)

Fuel? Insurance?

Fuel yes but again that’s driving style, can easily rinse the fuel in any car by pushing it hard

Insurance is so variable I feel like that’s a personal factor like colour or spec, for example, insurance for me at 20 on a 68 plate S3 was around £975. But for my 59 plate S3 it was nearly 2300...

I’m probably being naive but I don’t see how the maintenance costs would be miles more? Maybe £200 more for your brakes, £15 for the extra spark plug and I can’t think of what else would be different? Surely they use similarly priced oil, filters are cheap items, haldex service must cost the same too?

Yeah I get the running costs but that’s down to driving style lol

(Not tryna start an argument lol genuinely curious)

I think a front disc and pad change on a Rs3 is around the best part of a £1000 where the S3 is less than £500 .
From speaking to people who have made the jump from S3 to Rs3 they have said the Rs3 is a different league of car from the S3 but comes with a different league of costs to go with it . I am only going off what a have been told off Rs3 owners :icon thumright:

I think a front disc and pad change on a Rs3 is around the best part of a £1000 where the S3 is less than £500 .
From speaking to people who have made the jump from S3 to Rs3 they have said the Rs3 is a different league of car from the S3 but comes with a different league of costs to go with it . I am only going off what a have been told off Rs3 owners :icon thumright:

I assume they are Audi dealer prices?

Yeah costs like that are a bit touch and go because I’ve seen a few RS owners go aftermarket with discs and pads and be happier with the product and even happier with price

Totally agree it’ll cost more than the S3 would, but in my eyes if you can’t afford a few hundred extra for maintenance/servicing then you probably can’t afford the S3 either? Few hundred £ on yearly expenses shouldn’t be what breaks the bank imo

That is one thing I like about the S3 the running costs aren't too bad for the performance you get from it . I like the Rs3 and would love to own one at some point but as a family car its not for us as we do 10k a year and I could imagine the running/maintenance costs being a lot more than the S3 .

running costs are comparable mate.
Similar mpg / tax / even servicing.
Just some parts which are more money as you note like brake discs.
But seriously it is not that much more than an S3 imo.
My last 3 cars were a TTS, S5 and RS3 and I can’t say the RS3 cost me any more to run.

A special car like what you have @jassyo06 keeps the interest going for the 3+ years that you intend on keeping the car. A regular/low speced S3 could see you getting bored too early....maybe what happened with your Sepang Blue S3?