1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Next Gen 2021 Audi A3 Sedan Debut

VWNCC Apr 21, 2020

1. Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze Registered User

The New A3 is a lot better looking car than the 1 series . People say the A3 range all look the same but so do the new 1 series and that grill oh dear :puke2:

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Mr Freeze

M2 is a lovely car

4. Chris4410

Chris4410 Registered User

The standard colour of the grill doesn't do the front end any favors, changing to the gloss black M performance grill makes a big difference.

jassyo06 and S3LOK like this.
  5. Simon1972

Simon1972 Registered User

I was referring to the use of dynamic lights in general but each to their own.

6. jassyo06

jassyo06 T-Cut King !

Dynamic or cascading indicators are only available on matrix/laser headlight systems on VAG models...you cant have them just on their own hence l mentioned matrix headlights,the new A3's matrix headlight system has taken them a step further by introducing a unique cluster design below the dipped beam unit as well as retaining the cascading turn signal indicators

pburv likes this.
  7. jassyo06

jassyo06 T-Cut King !

The New A3 Sportback is photogenic but in the metal it's not as good looking to my eyes anyway

pburv likes this.
  8. pburv

pburv Registered User

Personally I think the lights on the A3 look great :yes:

The new Seat Leon has some interesting disco lights going on also

Snake Pliskin likes this.
  9. pburv

pburv Registered User

Jimbob76, S3LOK and Snake Pliskin like this.
  10. Snake Pliskin

Snake Pliskin Well-Known Member Supporter

Audi are usually one of the best at lights. The A3 light configurations do look interesting but I am not sure if the different patterns are a bit gimmicky ?
    Different patterns for different models is unique but I am not sure if this will be a long term thing or one hit wonder.

Yeah the Seat does look pretty cool :icon thumright:

KenL and pburv like this.
  11. Snake Pliskin

That is a LOVELY interior :icon thumright:
    I really like the rear, the front is quite pleasing BUT I'm not keen on the side profile although may look better in person.

pburv likes this.
  12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Mr Freeze

I think the new A3 Sportback is a decent looking car the new 1 series on the other hand not so much just my opinion of course

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  14. Mr Freeze

I agree the grill looks a lot better in black

I'am just not a fan of the front end on the M135i just don't think it looks aggressive enough compared to other M cars in the range .

Snake Pliskin and Chris4410 like this.
  15. Simon1972

Simon1972 Registered User

It's quite funny really. BMW have been getting some stick over the large grill recently then bang, along comes the A3 with that black hole stuck to the front.

To be fair I'm not put of by the A3 externals. It fits in with the Audi language and all that. The inside on the other hand just seems to be merging in with elements of Skoda and Seat and looks a bit of a disaster. I did have a quite chuckle as the Usual Audi defence is 'Oh but look at the interior' Having sat in the A6 recently, thats pretty much the same story.

I've also noticed the trend to make the cars look porkier what with the new 1 series and A3

S3LOK likes this.
  16. Chris4410

Yeah it does need additional trim, the demo I was looking at has the full M performance kit on it, if I were to buy one I would have to have this kit factored into the deal as I wouldn’t have one without it.

17. Mr Freeze

Didn't even realise they did a M Performance kit for it I could imagine that being expensive ?

18. jassyo06

jassyo06 T-Cut King !

It's not an M car and it looks very aggressive to my eyes at the front..with real intake vents,it also has vents at the corners of the front bumper to aid air deflection.....out past the front wheels @Chris4410 that Batmobile -esq bodykit is a step too far in my eyes

S3LOK likes this.
  19. S3LOK

S3LOK Registered User

Yeah, I would add the Aero Flicks, Black Diamond Grill and the Black Rear Spoiler. I would also wrap the side mirrors and the front vents in gloss black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris4410 likes this.
  20. Mr Freeze

You know what i mean its as near as you get to M car for the 1 series these days . I disagree with you on the front being very aggressive but its all down to personal taste and opinion .

Snake Pliskin likes this.
  21. Chris4410

I don't do subtle :welcoming:

Remember I did have a yellow A35 with the full aero kit.

jassyo06 and Snake Pliskin like this.
  22. Jimbob76

Jimbob76 Roof Rails Enthusiast Gold Supporter

Gents, I completely agree with you. The M2 Comp is one of the few cars on the road at the moment that does make me turn my head and think ‘there’s someone who knows their stuff and appreciates a good motor’. In Sunset Orange it looks absolutely cracking in the flesh. Reckon the recipe of rear wheel drive, those muscular haunches and a 3 litre straight 6 paired to a manual ‘box (yep you can get ‘em with an old fashioned analogue gearbox) marks it out as one of the last of a generation and I reckon it could be a future classic. I bet it’s an absolute hoot to drive. Yes the interior isn’t up to par with latest models, but that wouldn’t bother me in the slightest.

I’d have one in a heartbeat as a long term keeper, if I didn’t have to be a sensible family man. Pic below has a few M Performance parts glued on, but looks belting.

96CB8C84-F74B-4A10-8B9A-62D828297478.jpeg

23. TYb

TYb Registered User

So it’s officially here with 310ps.

The rear bumper still looks awful despite the quad exhausts. I do like the look of the red saloon but not sure it’s really progressed sufficiently over the facelift.

https://www.audi.co.uk/new-s3.html

S3LOK and BarryG79 like this.
  24. Chris4410

Saloon looks the best again

jassyo06 and S3LOK like this.
  25. S3LOK

S3LOK Registered User

So much for the rumoured 330bhp, still 310 is more than enough.

The red Saloon looks quite good Front and back, but the interior is nothing special, about the same as a S Line model apart from the Quattro badge.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    pburv likes this.
  26. pburv

pburv Registered User

The red on the saloon sets the car of really well.:thumbs up:
    Best pic of the S3 saloon so far for me.:yum:

Mr Freeze and TYb like this.
  27. TYb

TYb Registered User

More than enough but what’s the point of upgrading
    Definitely more than enough but will it be enough for current owners to switch. If I was in a PFL I would be tempted but not a FL, there isn’t much of a jump from what I can see.

Mr Freeze and Bells like this.
  28. pburv

pburv Registered User

That's a fair point. You would be mad to change up just for the sake of it but if you can afford it go for it...You can't go too wrong with any performance VAG model car.

Mr Freeze, TYb and S3LOK like this.
  29. Chris4410

I would agree, I can't see enough of a change here to temp current S3 owners to upgrade.

pburv, Mr Freeze, TYb and 1 other person like this.
  30. Bells

Bells Registered User

Wonder if the Golf R will have more bhp then because wasn’t that rumoured to be 330? It’d be funny if they outdid Audi but I doubt it.

Not hugely impressed if I’m honest, the updated tech would be nice but would’ve preferred a scroll wheel for the MMI.

Don’t see the point in upgrading from my current S3 for what north of £40k I’d be getting a quieter car thanks to GPF, same power and a slower 0-60 :blink:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    pburv, Mr Freeze, TYb and 2 others like this.
  31. Bells

Bells Registered User

Also just noticed in the press release they are saying that:

Increased performance
    With a 2.0 TFSI engine that packs a 310PS punch, the next-generation S3 produces 10PS more than its predecessor.

Convenient they forget the original FL S3’s had 310 until they detuned them to fit the new regs :tearsofjoy:

Jimbob76, BarryG79, pburv and 5 others like this.
  32. SPIKE_S3

SPIKE_S3 Vorsprung durch Technik

Another fact that doesn't sound good:

Unfortunately, the new S3 won’t be picking up the new EVO4 variant of the EA888 engine that will appear in the forthcoming Golf R, instead it makes do with the previous engine almost wholesale with figures rated at 306bhp and 295lb ft, a 10bhp rise over the previous S3. Another piece of VW tech that hasn’t been applied to the Audi is a torque-vectoring rear differential, instead the S3 utilises a centrally-mounted clutch pack ahead of the rear axle to vary power front-to-rear.

pburv, Bells and TYb like this.
  33. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

34. VeeDubDan

VeeDubDan Registered User

pburv and TYb like this.
  35. Snake Pliskin

Hmmm I'm in two minds - I look at some photos and thinks it looks great, then not so in some others.

There is a LOT of grille going on though in this pic ...

[​IMG]

Although the good news is ... less prone to stone chips on the paint front end lol

pburv, Mr Freeze, TYb and 1 other person like this.
  36. jassyo06

jassyo06 T-Cut King !

Noticed black exhaust trims as well as that stupid looking bootlid spoiler ...Saloon is still the best looking variant and the more expensive .....looking forward to seeing one in the metal

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

pburv and TYb like this.
  37. jassyo06

jassyo06 T-Cut King !

I do like the front grill on the S3 bit different to the S-line one ....

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

pburv likes this.
  38. alpesh26

alpesh26 Registered User

The bottom of the grille looks like they couldn't be bothered to design it anymore or they ran out of space

pburv and VeeDubDan like this.
  39. X3man

X3man Well known member

Lazy reporting as usual. A shame not using newer engine

pburv, Bells, TYb and 1 other person like this.
  40. Snake Pliskin

It does look quite aggressive compared to the S Line - do you not think the honeycomb openings look quite large on the main grille ?
    Sometimes photos distort things though.
    Agreed, saloon does look better in those photos.

pburv likes this.
  41. wab172uk

wab172uk Now in an X3 M40i

Very disappointing. The Hatch looks very bland. Saloon looks much better.

So much for the rumoured 328bhp. Will be interesting to see if the Golf gets the extra power? No manual option. And a terrible interior. Black shiny cheap plastic everywhere. Still a better interior than the Golfs though.

I'll await to see one in the flesh. And it will be the mid-life face-lift in 2-3 years time if I went back to S3 / RS3. But as it stands, it's a `No` from me.

VW Group are cheapening their interiors down far too much. Yet the cars cost more than ever. This new S3 Saloon starts at more than what my well specced 2015 car came to.

X3man, pburv and TYb like this.
  42. Snake Pliskin

Audi 'were' the sector leaders for interiors too - but now I am beginning to think they are lagging behind BMW & Merc who have genuinely upped their game massively. Perhaps Audi have got a bit complacent or just tried something different on the interior design. Some elements of quality and design are still there - the interior door design looks slick and modern for example, but some other aspects are not as aesthetically pleasing.

X3man likes this.
  43. wab172uk

wab172uk Now in an X3 M40i

I'd agree with that. My X3 M40i interior is a very nice place to be. Much better than in any current Audi I've sat in.

X3man and pburv like this.