next best brakes to TTRS setup? (sticking with 18s) on S3

lincoln_dj

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
hi all,

MOT/service due soon and gunna need discs anyway so wanting to upgrade. looked into TTRS/RS3 option but looks risky with my wheels as to whether theres enough room, plus budget cant really stretch at the minute, so was just after opinions on the next best thing.

happy to stick with OEM rear discs/pads, but if there's something better for not much more.... (thinking brembo blanks with mintex pads)

for fronts, is it worth getting fancy discs with the standard calipers or just stick to decent blanks (again, brembo do cheap replacements) and some decent pads - thinking mintex 1188/1177....

i'll be doing fluid too, as i think it's original - worth getting braided lines for the money too?

i'm not planning on hard track days etc.

look forward to hearing your experiences!
Adam

Ive got the yellow speed brakes 6 pot . really good! . one thing on them though the discs and pads wear down quickly as i found out last week

Just changing your pads and fluid will give more stopping power for minimum work and cost. ATE blue dot4 & Castrol SRF has the highest wet and dry boiling point I know of. For pads try Mintex 1144 or 1155, or Ferodo DS. Beware of pads that have iron content in the pad material, they grip very well buy throw of sparks which are no good for your paintwork, Carbon Lorraine & Hawk come to mind.

Reactions: lincoln_dj, S. and S3Alex
hi all,

MOT/service due soon and gunna need discs anyway so wanting to upgrade. looked into TTRS/RS3 option but looks risky with my wheels as to whether theres enough room, plus budget cant really stretch at the minute, so was just after opinions on the next best thing.

happy to stick with OEM rear discs/pads, but if there's something better for not much more.... (thinking brembo blanks with mintex pads)

for fronts, is it worth getting fancy discs with the standard calipers or just stick to decent blanks (again, brembo do cheap replacements) and some decent pads - thinking mintex 1188/1177....

i'll be doing fluid too, as i think it's original - worth getting braided lines for the money too?

i'm not planning on hard track days etc.

look forward to hearing your experiences!
Adam

What wheels do you have on your car?

In terms of your budget not stretching to TT RS setup, I did mine TT RS BBK upgrade for £860 and that includes calipers (second hand), discs, pads, braided lines and performance brake fluid.

I think Vagbremtechnic do a 'Track Day Light Kit' for standard S3 brakes. You get J Hooked 340mm discs, a set of Project Mu Racing H16 Compound brake pads and VBT Braided Lines. I've not seen any reviews but I was contemplating this kit but decided to go with the TTRS BBK instead.

Just changing your pads and fluid will give more stopping power for minimum work and cost. ATE blue dot4 & Castrol SRF has the highest wet and dry boiling point I know of. For pads try Mintex 1144 or 1155, or Ferodo DS. Beware of pads that have iron content in the pad material, they grip very well buy throw of sparks which are no good for your paintwork, Carbon Lorraine & Hawk come to mind.
ATE type 200 is the normal version of ATE blue, it's fully MOT compliant as it doesn't have the blue dye in :) they did have it at eurocarparts but that was last time I checked (a while back now)

I had no option but change front and back disks pads early this year and couldn't quite stretch to a big brake kit and rear disks and pads ,
So I went for vagbremtecknik J hooked disks front and back hel braided lines all round and tarox strada pads front and rear , tarox fast road fluid ,
Massive improvement over my previous stock set up

Attachments

• IMAG0471.jpg
    IMAG0471.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 406
Thanks for all the replies guys! Plenty to go at, have been impressed with mintex pads in the past, and I know the ferrodo ds get rave reviews. And I guess discs are discs to a certain extent - size probably the main factor.

Would be nice to go up in disc size and more powerful calipers if possible. As soot1 says, even just better pads n fluid will be a decent step up, but since I gotta do the discs anyway...

Rob C they're the wheels in the pic, don't know full spec off top of my head unfortunately other than 18's

Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 267
Fairly sure these are the wheels. Have read of others struggling with ttrs setup, needing spacers and one guy got a stone caught between wheel and caliper which scored the wheel

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    657.9 KB · Views: 282
Standard s3 facelift wheels 7.5j et 54. You'll need at least 10mm spacers for ttrs calipers, and it's tight fit with few mm between calipers and wheel barel.

Reactions: lincoln_dj
I run 15mm spacers with my pre facelift wheels and never had a problem. With the facelift wheels I think you need 12mm spacers to be safe.

Not interested in spacers so defo give ttrs kit a miss. Even looking at some other brands of BBKs they say they don't recommend using spacers

What a bouts 18inch rotors and ttrs kit ?

hmmm. I've actually sprayed my wheels black since that pic (plus the grey bumper bits, glossed the fog surrounds, black badges etc) so I'd wanna stick with black rims. googled the rotors and they do look like nice wheels, would show the new brakes off better for sure - just cant picture them in black.
I guess I could probably buy rotors and sell mine for not much less, if the TTRS kit defo fits in rotors without spacers?

i like the look of the yellowspeed kit. available with blue calipers too :)

regarding the quick disc/pad wear - would other discs fit - i assume i'd be able to choose other pads...

cheers

18" rotors don't clear ttrs brakes. Oz ultraleggera clear them just by few mm.
Also i think s3 pads are twice as thick as ttrs pads or yellow speed pads, so that's why they wear quicker.

Anyone fitted ttrs brakes behind the rotors ? I need to find out what spacers I need to use ?

I thought you had 6 pot alcons ?
Currently I have, however I really don't want to change my wheels anymore! However if I have to change them to fit ttrs brakes I'll fit my Alcons! But ideally want my rotors

Does anyone know what spacers I'll have to use with standard 18inch rotors ?

Currently I have, however I really don't want to change my wheels anymore! However if I have to change them to fit ttrs brakes I'll fit my Alcons! But ideally want my rotors

Keep the Alcons.....keep the Alcons....and repeat.

Reactions: grainqey and Smirky
Trust me mate I really want to however I love the look of it currently and don't want to loose my rotors, guess it's give and take and stopping is more important than smashing into the rear of someone

Reactions: grainqey