SQ5 Newbie

TEPI-TR750

Reaction score
Hi all. Complete newbie here. This is only my 2nd Audi, first was a 2.2 5cyl. 100CC in the 80s.
Have just acquired a low milage 2014 SQ5 TDI and am pleasantly surprised by it. It is actually a cracking car. It’s a replacement for wifey’s Qashqai, and my W216 CL Merc. (retired in May so we only need one car these days).
I want to tweak a few things and would really like to talk with a local expert; understand what can / can’t be done.
I’m in Belfast, but will travel obviously. I am a car/bike (classic race bikes to be specific) guy and was an aerospace engineer for over 40 years, but the modern electronics and programming lark are not my bag at all.
My questions / what I think I can do or get done are:
- enable ADS - I sorted the screen via MMI hidden menu but need VCDS to do the coding side of it.
- disable start/stop - it’s an age thing... when an engine stops of its own accord it worries me, or at least annoys me! Fuel economy is not a concern - I’ll probably do less than 7k miles a year.
- due to expected low mileage, and many short runs, what do I need to do to avoid the dreaded DPF issues.
- find out what else can be enabled on my car.
- find a good independent to do my servicing. (Done enough lying on the ground over the last 40 years...)

Looking forward to expanding my knowledge and making this very good car a brilliant one.
Ohh and I am impressed by the obvious knowledge, interest, and sharing that this forum seems to have. All good stuff.

Reactions: 45bvtc and paul wev
Welcome to the forum. The general consensus seems to be that the Mk1 is better built than the new ones. They're built in Mexico and owners report numerous build quality issues. I've had mine nearly 5 years and love it. My local independent (East Yorkshire) enabled ADS for me - took about 20 minutes carefully going through the steps with his vcds. No button on the dash but I access it through the mmi. The best bit (grin factor) is the exhaust noise in dynamic mode. Not needed to have anything else enabled with vcds as mine was ex dealer principal car and he'd pistol whipped the options list.
Reliability has been fantastic over 43,000 miles with no issues and as long as you do some long motorway runs or spirited driving (holding the gears in manual mode) for a few miles the dpf will purge itself automatically. Don't think the car is about to self ignite - it really stinks when it kicks in.
If you have the diamond cut 21's then keep them clean and salt free - they are buggers for the lacquer being weak.
Hope you enjoy many miles with your new purchase.

Reactions: TEPI-TR750, 45bvtc and paul wev
Had mine a year now and it's a blast!
Totally different to the string of S3's that came before it, but just a lovely thing to effortlessly drive around and far comfier.
I have a maxhaust sound booster and an MTM M-Cantronic tuning box fitted to just give it a little more excitement, but it honestly doesnt need it.
@smokeymike how do you know when it does a regen as I cant say I've noticed up till now

Reactions: 45bvtc
Hi guys thanks for the replies, and yep I guessed all I need is a local guy with VCDS to do the coding. Just need to find someone!
Would have the same question as Ju., re dpf., more out of curiosity than anything else.
Quick check this afternoon and mpg over last two days (all short town runs and with lots of heavy throttle stuff away from lights, as ya do...) is noticeably better than the Qashqai 2ltr turbo diesel this replaced - it was around 22, and the SQ5 is reading 29.
I took a scoot to my mate’s place yesterday, 20 miles away, using very very familiar backroads, and was quite pleased - steers quite well, and seems reasonably taut. QQ understeered at an Olympic level, and my CL500 seats don’t support well enough, but the ABC suspension is still impressive. CL is alway very flat. The Audi is a fine compromise.
Would think an S3 would be a bit kart-like... had my fill of smallish cars a long time ago.

All my S3's were fairly well sorted suspension wise and handled very well compared to the SQ5 which obviously is a 2 tonne beast and a higher centre of gravity.
You get used to the body roll though and the limitations of the brakes and drive accordingly.
I do have a set of bilstein shocks and eibach springs to go on, then mine will be completed!
I swapped to the SQ5 as my partner is disabled but the higher driving position is so much easier to live with as the years roll by lol

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: 45bvtc and TEPI-TR750
Totally different to the string of S3's that came before it, but just a lovely thing to effortlessly drive around and far comfier.
I have a maxhaust sound booster and an MTM M-Cantronic tuning box fitted to just give it a little more excitement, but it honestly doesnt need it.
@smokeymike how do you know when it does a regen as I cant say I've noticed up till now

Hi. Only noticed regen twice when I've stopped after a long motorway run. First time it did it I'd only had the car a couple of months. It is a really hot acrid smell that concerned me enough to speak to my dealer master technician who confirmed from my description that it was the dpf purging and was nothing to worry about.

Our weapon of choice for UK motoring is the 8R SQ5 bar none!

As with Ju, I am also a recent purchaser of an 8R SQ5. Only 9-months but totally enamoured with this machine, it just does everything including, surprisingly and currently, 38/40mpg over 60-mile A and B road plus City runs - and with no overtakes in the duck-and-dive, a mega no-no :racer:

As for the handling we find it best to be more assertive than our TT and/or RS3; we/I find it is very 'chuckable' when needed: flappy-paddle over-ride into and/or out of road furniture is just laughable quick/easy; and the brakes, well as said previously, just love these Ferodo Eco-Friction brake pads - made a huge difference to feel and bite.

Great machine the 8R SQ5, can't see ours being swapped for anything else - and for sure nothing Audi post 2016!

Amazing handling on sub 7ºC roads, sharp into and out of 'damp/wet' traffic islands on 20" winter rubber; braking and traction superb. C'mon the snow!!
4615.gif

As for our RS3 and TT? Well, they are both staying' loved and garaged but for now unused! Our SQ5 is such an everyday 'FUN' machine... :superman:

Last edited:
Reactions: TEPI-TR750 and paul wev