Newbie Write Up on my new S3

Leejgilb

Reaction score
Just taken delivery of my brand fire new S3 and thought I'd share a write up and piccys with you. Enjoy !!!

THE WRITE UP

It was probably one of the most difficult car buying decisions I’ve ever had to make. Selling my beloved TT for something else - simply for practical reasons.
So I knew I needed five seats; that was objection of this particular exercise. I also wanted something that ticked the box that had been left open from my TT. Namely; Quattro. I really missed Quattro since having it as my trusty friend in the guise of a MK1 TT 225. Although the front-wheel drive MK2 is an absolute stunner of a drive, I always felt that it missed that beautiful rail-road cornering ability I was so used to. A stunner in that if I had to choose between a brand new MK1 or a brand new MK2, I would choose the MK2. Its styling, performance and head-turning ability made my ownership of the car the best to date and I never regretted buying one for a second.

So with this in mind and the fact that I simply cannot buy a car that has less power than my previous, I considered other cars for a short time. To be honest I was looking at other things with no real intention to buy as I am well and truly sold by the Audi brand. There’s probably nothing Audi make that I wouldn’t own. Not something I can say about any other manufacturer. I looked at the VW Scirocco but couldn’t like the dashboard, no matter how good the exterior looked. I looked at the 3-series coupe but since the recent styling changes, I’ve not drooled over it like I did during the previous 3-series. That plus, to get the performance figures I wanted, I’d need to go for a minimum six-pot which all carry hefty tax and economy figures. An A4 Cabriolet was on the cards too, but I only wanted the 3.0TDI Quattro and I just couldn’t find a manual younger than a year old. The only car I really considered was an A5 3.0TDi Quattro. But they were simply out of my budget due to the chronic residual values effect on my monthlies.
The only car that ticked all the boxes and got me smiling then was the S3. I’d have the five seats, Quattro, more power and of course it came in Sprint Blue ! Whilst chatting to my dealer during a routine clutch replacement :think: I ended up agreeing to an extended test drive in her shiny new black S3. So the following weekend I turned up driving licence in hand and limbered up for a right good spanking and off I went.

So how did the test drive go? Well within ten minutes of returning I was signing an order and deciding whether to go for BOSE or not :thrashi: I did go for BOSE and I also felt that given that we’re indeed in the 21st century Bluetooth was also going to be added as was the Interior Light Pack. Order placed…

……5 weeks of nail biting and the odd sleepless night…

….She’s here!! :rockwoot:

Handover was perfect as always; a few signatures, a cup of coffee and a bounce through the showroom to my waiting chariot. First thing I did was to pair my phone to the BT; piece of cake, took all of two minutes. Then I selected disc 1 of MJ’s Greatest Hits (still in mourning) and adjusted the EQ until the Billie Jean bass line actually began to hurt and then...well I fired up the Quattro of course ! ;)

My route home was pre-planned to take in the odd chicane, (sorry island :busted_cop: ) and seeing as I was still scanning the interior I took it steady with only the odd squirt of the throttle. Home to collect the Nikon and back out to my designated picture taking spot in the Worcestershire countryside. Well you all saw the result of that. If you haven’t look at the bottom of this post :thumb: I strapped the Nikon in the boot, pulled the seat-belt tight and cracked my knuckles. This was the moment I had been waiting for…

The S3 performs to an outstanding level through the twisties. I really can say without any hesitation that the precision turn-in and grip through corners is better than the TT. I certainly had much more confidence with the car and not once did I have the feeling that I was drifting. The TT had me guessing a few times as to where I should be pointing the steering wheel. This was not present in the S3. The pull though is better than I had expected. It just seems to keep on going although I've not pushed over 4000 revs...much.....well maybe once.

Although there are now 265 raging horses instead of 200, power delivery is in a completely different place and where a TT would leave an S3 on take off, the S3 has another more brutal surge of power around 3500 revs and another tickle at about 5000. This extra shunt coupled with the Quattro system keeps the S3 accelerating and really does put a smile on my face. But it’s that turn-in and follow through that really bring the S3 into its own. A simply stunning drive. Not better than the TT and not worse, Just a different taste. You’ve got your Carling drinkers and your Carlsberg drinkers. Both lager, both get you pi$$ed, but they taste different. Some drinkers drink both. Some stay loyal to their nectar. I drink both; the TT and the S3.

Interior time. Everything in the cockpit is a very familiar sight. The dash IMO looks better in the TT; especially with that third centre air vent. The S3 has just two and it’s amazing how something so small can make such a difference. But I can live with it. The dash is a different material also but all this is overshadowed by that white DIS display. This is something I’d not really thought twice about. I knew I was getting it but didn’t realise how stunning it looks at night and the addition of the Lap Time page I the menu made me chuckle (something present on most “S” cars apparently). Not sure I’ll use that everyday but hey.

The leather seats seem far softer and slightly more comfortable too. It’s made all the more comfortable with the beautifully stitched steering wheel staring at you with its glimmering S3 motif at its base. One thing I can’t make my mind up about is the armrest. Very comfortable leather top, foldable and adjustable and great for storing things. But when you’re pushing on and up and down through the gears it just gets in the way. I’m left with the only option of pushing it out of the way until I’ve calmed down enough to enjoy a tranquil cruise. In other words it’s up and down more than Jordan’s knickers at the moment. Which brings me neatly to the back seats (;)) .

There is an awesome amount of room considering this is one of the smaller Audis on the market; an A3. I really didn’t expect to have so much leg room in the back of a small hatchback. I’m not saying it’s an A8 but compared to similar vehicles in its sector it really is quite spacious. Plenty of room to get Jordan in anyway.

So all in all I reckon it’s a damn good car. Sure there are less expensive cars out there offering similar packages. But they are not Audi and as far as I am concerned none of them came close when it came down to signing an order. So there we go, my long overdue write up of the new addition to my family; my Sprint Blue Audi S3. Do I miss the TT ? Yes, like I'd miss oxygen if it wasn't so abundant :yes: Have I made a mistake ? No way ! I love this car !!! :s3addict:

Well I like it anyway…. :unsure:

Here's my pics:

S3FirstShot.jpg

DSC_0230.jpg

DSC_0243.jpg

DSC_0239.jpg

DSC_0240B.jpg

DSC_0234.jpg

DSC_0245.jpg

DSC_0244.jpg

DSC_0246Emboss.jpg

Last edited:
Wowee, a happy customer to be sure! Are you sure your not an Audi UK sleeper?! :jester:

Seriously though...I am pleased for you bud. The car looks great and you certainly have done it/her/him credit with your write up. You certainly did go through an interesting mix of possiblities, but you got there in the end. :yes:

I will start the 'mod' clock now and see how long you last with your virginal mota. Enjoy.

lovely car mate! welcome to the club... wish ya well to drive it! :s3addict:

Congrats on a good choice, your motor looks awesome.
I too had a MK2 TT so can mirror many of your thoughts. The S3 is a fantastic all rounder and it's abilities become more apparent with time, excellent review keep the posts coming as it would be good to hear your impressions as time progresses :)

Great ! , i am even more excited about collecting my brand spanking new S3 on Saturday Morning ! Pictures to come , when Nathan has prepped it ( Hi Nath ! )

I think that write up was for you Martin !

Does that answer a few questions Spin ?

Last edited:
I got as far as this bit "MJ’s Greatest Hits (still in mourning)" and suddenly for some reason ...completely lost interest :wacko: I did find this emotion called wacko for you though !

Great choice mate, welcome to the club! You won't be disappointed, especially after you have run her in!

Congratz on the car. Great write up! And glad to hear your happy with the car and the service. Car looks amazing and in the best colour to have :)
Enjoy the car

Great little write up there, and the car looks fantastic...I hope it's always that clean ;)

beautiful. What was the lead time from order to receipt? 5 weeks? Do Audi hold stock? Trying to decoide between demo S3 sportback or new order...........

beautiful. What was the lead time from order to receipt? 5 weeks? Do Audi hold stock? Trying to decoide between demo S3 sportback or new order...........
Yes about 5 weeks from order. TBH I went for a new one because ex-demos were too expensive ! A new one worked out cheaper. There weren't any in stock at all when I ordered mine so it was a factory build. That does hinder your chances of getting any discount though, although I managed it. If I were in your shoes I'd go new and be patient for a couple of weeks. It soon flies. I waited 4 months for my TT so this was a piece of cake.

lovely car matey, not sure about the MJ bit though.

Mark
:laugh: If you have BOSE you'd understand.

Great car mate. In the best colour too LOL. Enjoy
:thumbsup::s3addict:

I guess I could wait 5 weeks! What discount did you negotiate, as a percentage of final cost? Which dealership - would you recommend them?

I guess I could wait 5 weeks! What discount did you negotiate, as a percentage of final cost? Which dealership - would you recommend them?
About 10% IIRC. Although it was my third car from the same dealership and sales person so I did play that card this time :happy:

I always use Worcester Audi (Listers) as I've never had anything but impeccable, professional service from them. Claire Garness being the sales person. :thumbsup:

11% on my S3, first time at the dealership for me.

But 3 and half months lead time for mine, depends a lot on what options you spec and if you go for an of the Exclusive items.

Appreciate where you're coming from - S3 ends up as the logical small family car after something like a TT. We had a mk1 TT 225 and a VX220 turbo before the family came allong. Whilst the S3 isn't as special as the other two, it provides some grins!

paul

Thanks for the heads up all - very much appreicated. Took the 3dr in Red out for a spin yesterday. Lovely, although i'm a sprint blue man myself. Specced the car up, so today we'll see whether we can reach agreement on a price........

Thats a very good write up,thanks.
pics ain't bad either ;)