Newbie with an allroad.

deanosabby

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Howdy forum,
Picked up an allroad 2.7T just over 2 weeks ago and love it.
I have had Audi's before (A3TS, A3 Sportsback) and also just now a A4 1.8T quattro S-Line convertible to sit next to the allroad on the drive.
I am hoping for another bad winter just to see how the allroad copes as my last car did me proud in the last pile of snow.
Ta,
Deano.

You wont be too impressed without snow tyres, dont get me wrong, they will get moving but they are heavy beasts and make sure you keep the ESP on ALL THE TIME ! I have a allroad and it was scary on cheappo accelera 17" tyres, had no trouble getting it to speed but not easy to stop...I ended using my b5 quattro more often as that's much more predictable without fancy traction aids ! I look forward for snow this year as well, i bet i would be using the allroad well !

Cheers for the heads up re the winter tyres, someone over on Audifans reckoned I would be alright without them but I think I will get a set just to be on the safe side. Do you know if there are any 17" steels that fit the allroad or can I go down to 16" instead?
Ta,
Deano.

Welcome to ASN Deano. Good to have another Scottish Member. Where are you in Scotland? Enjoy the forum.

Hi Sandra,
I am in a place called Kirkliston NW of Edinburgh near S. Queensferry.

There are no 17" steels that will fit allroad as the offset is very low: ET 25. I would get 17" winter tyres
fitted on your own alloys and a 18"+ set of alloys for summer...

Hi Sandra,
I am in a place called Kirkliston NW of Edinburgh near S. Queensferry.

I know where that is Deano, its about 75 miles from here on the Ayrshire Coast

Just stick with the original fitment tyres. Pirelli P6 Allroads. There are some cheaper variants but make sure they are for winter/softroad use. I had an Allroad 2 years ago and I stay not far from you in Edinburgh. I took the Allroad up to Balerno (bit higher than you), the snow was really deep and no-one had been out. I spent 3 hours with my friend trying to find a road to get the Allroad stuck on and it just kept powering through it. We even took it out some country tracks and it just just kept going without any issues. The P6 Allroads are expensive (there are Wranglers which are £75 each and are just as good) but in my opinion there is not much point in buying a car like the Allroad with an £800 air compressor, £300 per corner suspension airbags etc. and then skip out on the tyre that will let it do it's job e.g not get you stuck.

Enjoy the Allroad, it is a really nice car. I'm on the lookout for a manual diesel one at the moment as I think that we are going to have another bad winter!

Regards,

MrBroon

Cheers MrBroon,
I have replaced the Michelin and Goodyear tyres that were on the nearside with 2 new P6 allroads but got the older ones swapped to the rear and the new ones on the front.
Ta,
Deano.