Newbie with a steeringwheel question,thks for your help

wispspeed

Reaction score
Hi, my wife received an A3 Sportback company car.

The car-policy of her company is really strict so she had no other choice than to choose for the basic version.

We collected the car last saturday and it runs quiet well. However I hate the plastic steeringwheel and I would like to swap it for a leather one.

I found a secondhand leather steeringwheel on the internet for a reasonable price.
However it is originally of a A3 with a DSG gear shift as it has the shifters on the backside. It has 8P0 419 091 BK as partnumber

My question to you is, can I mount this steeringwheel ? ( without ofcourse connecting the shifters )

Thanks for your help and quick answer,

I forgot to mention , if it is relevant, that our A3 is a sportback,

Thanks, appreciate the help

And just to be clear.

I am abviously not looking for the DSG function and not for and multifunction.

I just want a leather steeringwheel instead of this plastic one.

Thanks so much

Just gave the dealer a call.... they know nothing about nothing.

They began to say that the airbag might explose if they take it out, that the airbag might not fit the leather steeringwheel, that it might not be the same size steering wheel, etc .....

How difficult can it get to tell me if steeringwheels which begin with 8P0 419 091 .... are interchangeable or not !

1st of all welcome & 2nd of all you should edit your original post instead of posting 5 messages fella, lol.

Stealers are useless except for some parts guys, my parts guy is a wizard but wouodnt buy car from them to save my life.

The airbag wont explode what a load of bolloks

Post an image of your existing wheel & the wheel you intend to put on the car then we can ascertain if can be done, the paddles can be removed tbh & dont leave a hole but they are so small no point removing, I assume yours is a manual then

Yes you did mention in 1st post was sportback & which year is it?

Did you just want leather & no multifunctions then??

A few people on here have been talking about changing their round steering wheels for flat bottomed ones.

If they have done so they may be able to advise on what is required, how to do it and might even have a suitable round wheel they no longer need. Search the threads with FBSH in the title (flat bottom steering wheel) or MFFBSH (multi function flat bottom steering wheel).

That would be me, I sell some & have fitted etc

Thanks for your help guys.

My Sportback is a 2008, I just took delivery last saturday and yes its a manual.

The steeringwheel is exactly identical as the ones I saw on several pictures here on the forum however it is not covered with leather , it is the one that comes with the basic version of an A3, here in Belgium that is called the Attraction Serie. It is finished in a sort of rubber. No fun at all.

I contacted another stealer and they were more helpfull. They checked it out and said that it should be able to swap it with no mayor probs. However they can only tell for sure when they see the steeringwheel.

This is the partnumber of the one I bought from Ebay:
8P0 419 091 BK
the seller told me it is for the A3 Type 8P

I saw several steerigwheels on ebay , often the same number however ending with other combinations, like AJ, AR, etc ...

I do not want the multifunctional stuff so hope a simple swap will do.

As I already stated, need to see images of the one you bought because etka shows the wheel you bought was from 04-05 which is when it swapped over to dual stage airbags, if you would like help then please show the photo of the new wheel.

Here is the pic

Audisteering.jpg

thks for looking

As far as I can see you'll be fine. Obviously as you don't have DSG you'll not be connecting the controller which is inside the wheel so you just need a basic airbag wiring loom, does your current airbag fit this wheel?

Hi,

If you mean that I have an airbag in my current wheel than the answer is yes .

Damn , I hope the one I bought fits as I already paid for it :wtf:

Yeah this should work fine, as yours obviously has the shield shaped airbag so should be straight swap, but you must not turn on ignition while doing this change as it will notice the airbag is of & throw a code which would need clearing with vagcom, you could go as far to disconnect the battery & cover it with a cloth so doesnt short anything on top of engine then change the airbag if really that bothered, but as far as I can see should swap over easily, you'll need a multi headed spline socket to undo the current wheel, make sure the wheels are straight, the most important thing is to make sure the slip ring which the airbag plugs into doesnt move whatsoever while removing your current wheel or installing new one, I always stick some temp tape on the inner ring/outer ring to stop moving, you screw that up & the slip ring will need changing, so follow what I've said to the letter & you wont have a problem, when you put the new wheel on then remove the tape of the slip ring which is under the steering wheel & the socket for the wheel loom is part of the ring so it wont move when wheel in place, get stuck ask on here, as for paddles, well just no need to connect them anyway so leave as is.

mmmmm , now thats a tricky one .... guess I will only see it when I receive the steeringwheel ....

If NHN could check it out please.

Also, NHN, if you would have a look for the above could you check if these would be the correct ones please ,

8P0419091CL

or 8P0419091AJ

be the correct one ?

Thank you so much guys

I would advise to remove the battery -ve and leave for a few mins before touching the airbag.

It's an M12 Spline tool for the hub nut which can be re-used up to 5 times and should be stamped/punched after every use.

Used alot more times than 5 so I'd have to disagree fella, no way that would come undone, also its not neccessary to disconnect battery just personal preference if you're bit sheepish, I've taken of countless airbags with batt on & never had issues, only issue ever had was the code thrown but as I had vagcom I cleared straight away.

Used alot more times than 5 so I'd have to disagree fella, no way that would come undone, also its not neccessary to disconnect battery just personal preference if you're bit sheepish, I've taken of countless airbags with batt on & never had issues, only issue ever had was the code thrown but as I had vagcom I cleared straight away.

Just quoting the safe method from the manual mate, wouldn't wish anyone to have an accident through improper advice. I didn't say it would come undone, many bolts on VAG cars are in fact single use only (according to the manual of course).

What you or anyone else does is entirely at yours/their own risk but when giving advice it should be the correct advice to the best of your knoweldge. ;)

Removing and installing driver airbag unit

Removing

– Disconnect earth strap of the battery.

– Turn steering wheel until one of the holes located at the top.

– Using a small screwdriver, unhook the spring from the rear of the steering wheel (through the hole).

– Repeat process for the second spring.

– Carefully remove airbag unit from the steering wheel and fold back.

– Disconnect the airbag unit plug connector.

– Lay aside the airbag unit in such a way that the impact absorber points upwards.

Installing

Installation is carried out in the reverse order.

Switch off the ignition before attaching the battery.

The manual goes on to say about using a maximum of 5 times and a tighten torque of 50Nm.​

well ye thats a fair point, but we all know that most bolts nuts whatever are very robust, I mean look at the thread/size of that bolt, take a hell of alot of pressure to snap that of & cant even see the dumbest person threading it, they just do it to be sure & charge us more, lol, I'm a poet & I know it

Sorry to hijack thread

Just quoting the safe method from the manual mate, wouldn't wish anyone to have an accident through improper advice. I didn't say it would come undone, many bolts on VAG cars are in fact single use only (according to the manual of course).

What you or anyone else does is entirely at yours/their own risk but when giving advice it should be the correct advice to the best of your knoweldge. ;)

The manual goes on to say about using a maximum of 5 times and a tighten torque of 50Nm.​

M8, were did you get this info?

Sounds like similiar to what i need, but for suspension. I.e torque settings for bolts which hold dampers on and stuff :whistle2: dont suppose you know do you.

Hi M8t i may have a wheel 4 sale? I am trying 2 buy S Line wheel.