Newbie with a few things wrong

Nigel Mcneeney

Reaction score
Hi guys, newbie here to the Audi world.

Bought my 2008 2.0 tdi quattro (brd) just before lock down happened... I bought it on a whim as need a diesel and my sister who has an A6 quattro 3.0 said you can't go wrong with an Audi...

Anyway... A few problems, that i have been searching out.

1) It has a stench of like an old diesel smell when idling or sat in traffic, some say injectors some say vacuum pump.

It runs and starts up fine, not lumpy at all (already changed fuel filter and the fuel that came out of the old filter was clean), it idles at about 850 (is this about right?), below 2000 rpm i find it lacklustre on power and only picks up from after 2000 till about 3500 then tails off, brake pedal does feel solid like and the car doesn't really want to stop sharply... I've come over from a Focus ST so im used to power and plenty of brakes... The Audi is well like an ok i'll stop if i have to.

If it is the vacuum pump then are they a ball ache to do, i'm mechanically minded, got tools just got hands like shovels.

Any other ideas on that?

2) When at a stand still and waiting to turn into a junction and you go for a quick gap there is a sound that sounds like a cv joint/rumble when flooring it from the ns front, it only happens in 1st gear when pulling away sharply and into a junction.

Can happily hammer is round a roundabout or sharp bends, no noises... Just pulling away quickly in 1st going left or right... Its fine going forwards... Someone said its a trait of the quattro but i don't know.

Ive jacked up the nsf, no play in anything, no noises, can pull the driveshaft in and out slightly but think thats the norm as far as i know.

I want to do a gearbox and diff oil change... Are they a ball ache to do on the driveway?

How much oil and what types do i need for both?

I'm sure there is more that i want help on but if you've got any answers for the above much help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the club mate, they are great cars, just a labour of love sometimes.
Asking the obvious, but is your fuel filter sealing ok and no pipework leaks?

I'd advise you to take a read of the oil pump balancer shaft failure thread. Its a thing night mares are made of.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...e-definitive-guide-audi-vw-skoda-seat.140949/
It stank before I done the fuel filter, but bo leaks anywhere.

Any idea on the other questions ie gearbox and diff oils.

I know all about the oil pump hex, pretty sure you ca check with audo to see if its done and it has nigh on full service history woth audi looking at the service book.