Newbie with a few teething issues

welshbishop

Reaction score
Hi All

I have recently purchased a new, to me, 2003 Audi A6 Avante 1.9 TDI and only had her a few days and very very happy with her, after spending the last 4 years in a gas gussling BMW 5 series I am loving seeing a heavy footed MPG return of 40 +/-.

Anyway, back to the old girl.

Unfortunatley the car has only come with one key and I am a little confused with all of the ebay adds for cases, remotes, key blanks, cutting from a photo, etc.etc and have been qouted circa £200 for a mobile auto key cutter to come and cut, programme, etc a new one, so could anyone steer me in the right direction for getting a new key or 2?

The only other issues with the car, which I am not sure if they are major or not, is that both the Coolant temp and oil temp gauges on the display cluster do not budge off the pin. I have done some searches over a host of site (Its all very confusing as to which ones I have been thorugh) and there is mention of new sensors being needed at not great expense but some of them dont work properly and additionally there have been a few with loose connections or dud gauges. Anyone any ideas on the temp issues?

Finally there was no owners hand book with the pack, service history but no owners manual, is there a resource online for donwloading one?

THanks all in advance.

Chris

Reactions: OllieQS
Welcome.........

for your reply to your coolant/oil gauge, i had similar problem on my a6, i changed the sensor and it worked fine for a few days, then went again, turns out it was actually my thermostat, but that is only for the coolant, so i dont know how the oil could be linked, i know im not much help, but there is a lot of people on here who could probably answer better than me.......

as for keys, they are expensive where ever you go, i just bought one of ebay, got a normal key cutting place to cut it, then just found some one with a obd/vag com to program it. Just dont go to audi as they are ridiculos

Thanks for the quick reply. I have found a complete uncut unit on eBay, need to make sure its the same part number later when home, but requires the transponder coding. So just checked the VagCom sub section and there is someone close to me so will reach out if all is good on the part number.

The fact that both gauges are down leads me to suspect possible wiring, connection issues - Is there a fuse for these seprately? and would a diagnosis pinpoint the issue?

you can try running a diagnostics, but not sure if anything would come up, no fuses that im aware of........ so maybe wiring issue?

Hi, correct me if I'm wrong, but you will need the 7 digit pin code to code new transponder or find someone with VAG tacho (it has a pin extraction facility)
So you might need a trip to main dealer. And yes probably thermostat issues, be lucky its not the 2.5 tdi with thermostat probs!
Wesmaster

yes you do need it, good point, however when i had mine done, the vag com found the code. and yes be glad its not the v6 as mines the 2.7t and thermostat was a night mare lol

Well she is off to Volks Auto tomorrow to take a look at the gauges and I'll ask their advice on Key fobs.

Hi, correct me if I'm wrong, but you will need the 7 digit pin code to code new transponder or find someone with VAG tacho (it has a pin extraction facility)
So you might need a trip to main dealer. And yes probably thermostat issues, be lucky its not the 2.5 tdi with thermostat probs!
Wesmaster
For my Polo (2007) a mobile locksmith was able to access the required information from the car and programme the key and charged about half what the VW dealer wanted to charge me, plus he did it all in my driveway so saved me time too. Would be worth contacting a few mobile locksmiths who cover your area and ask if they can do this for your car