Newbie with a 2013 S7

treborh

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just picked up a gorgeous S7 2013 plate, drove away started playing with things and noticed stuff doesnt seem to work as i thought....

My spoiler seems to always be up, pressed the button and nothing happens. When i first start the car it sometimes lights up and people told me the spoiler goes up and down.

Ive removed the spoiler module, stuck some contact cleaner on and some how it went down. I can hear it move up and down but cant seem to work out how get it to stay down when i turn off the car.

Is it broke or have i missed something?

Also, has anyone ever had the rear reading light stay on constant and one never turn on? Is this a common fault or do i have electrical issues?

Thanks in advance, sorry if this has been covered.

Welcome to the forum treborh, great choice of car :racer:

Sounds like you may have a few gremlins lurking around, is the car under warranty?

You may want to start off with having the car scanned using VCDS. If you don’t have it yourself, have a look on the VCDS map (tab at the top of the page) and see if there is anyone local to you that can help.

Spoiler should be down, and extend automatically around 84MPH and retract automatically below about 35MPH.

The spoiler button lets you pop and close the spoiler manually. If you pop it up using the button, it will stay up even when you stop and switch ignition off, but it always resets itself to the closed position when you restart the car.

Welcome to audi-sport.net. If you need a vcds scan contact members @dsw88 he is in Doncaster so not to far from you. Enjoy the forum

One thing to confirm....
so as above, spoiler starts at a closed position but goes up automatically at 84mph (I thought it was 86 but I stand corrected) and automatically goes down when you get to a lower speed (20-30mph?)
BUT, if you raise it manually regardless of speed(ie hold the button down to raise it), it stays up and remains up even after switching off the car.
What I then notice with mine is when switching on the car, the light is on but goes out when I start to drive...at which point I notice the spoiler has gone back down again.
Maybe thats what you are seeing?

So.... picked up yesterday and was up from moment I turned up. Started stopped may time at all speeds never got it down.

Today I removed the module, covered it in connection cleanser.

Not sure what impressed or did but one point was down went back out still down started presses the button and seemed to up. But the orange light didn’t stay on and couldn’t get it to go down unless o restarted held the button but it went down and back up.

Anyone have any idea on the rear reading light? Had to remove the bulb as was perm on, didn’t notice this at sale (private sale btw) but was just taken back on the quality of the car.

One reading light won’t turn on, other won’t turn off.

Never heard of the issue regarding the back light before.

Switching on and off from the push button had no effect on the light that was stuck on?

Could you switch the working one on and off from the front push button on the overhead console?

Never heard of the issue regarding the back light before.

Switching on and off from the push button had no effect on the light that was stuck on?

Could you switch the working one on and off from the front push button on the overhead console?

Which front push button? The one that brings the lights in with the doors? Only other options are the front lights?

It wouldn’t go off on the rear button and the other wouldn’t come on.

With the spoiler wouldn’t it flag on the console if was a fault?

Plus my mmi screen as decided it’s not coming out every time I start the car, but it does if I press the out button....

I doubt spoiler faults will be on the console - it would be a scan via vcds or similar. Possibly the light might flash on the button but even that as its not a critical system...
Don't want to worry you but worth checking around the boot area/carpets etc to check if you have any water leakage issues. Strange how most of your issues are rear related !

The screen also has a similar system to the spoiler from memory - ie: if you manually drop the screen, switch off car, switch on car, it stays down but soon as you press the button or control wheel, it pops up - sorry I'm being a bit vague - it's amazing how many functions you know when you're in the car but forget or gets hazy when you're out of it!

Light console might just be faulty. My old A6 had something simlar with a stuck button even though it springs in/out. Changed the console which was just a pull out job (in by clips) and 1 cable that was plugged in.

So after investigation the rear light is either a bad connection on the wiring from the front or the little solder board inside it.
Either way Audi want £300 + Vat as they just sell the whole rear reading light but it may not be that.

Spoiler will go up and down if i press the button on initial start but then its up for good.

Further to this, i've added a sim with data and now i cant use my phone on bluetooth as a phone. I've looked on EVERY menu.

This car is awesome but seems complicated or the guy i've bought it off as bodged some upgrade....

Just to add to this, on the youtube tutorials for SIM card etc, Googlearth is greyed out until the cards inserted.
Mine was always there but just said can't connect....
Makes me think someones altered settings somewhere.

Here’s an extract from the manual on your interior lights if it helps (You can get this by opening an account at my.audi.com)

1321CD25-264A-42D1-A197-8B1D12168A73_zps4s2ofgtl.jpeg

On the mobile phone issue, there is an option within the MMI menu to select the Bluetooth connected device, or the car SIM for making or receiving calls. TEL—>SETTINGS—>MAKE CALLS USING....

DA4460C1-00A7-4E73-8232-0C51F2D934F1_zpsfzu7ufrs.jpeg

Google services are provided via Audi Connect (not directly from Google) For Audi Connect you need a valid Audi Connect licence provided by Audi. Initial licences on new cars are for 3 years, then you have to renew. If you go to MENU—>AUDI CONNECT—>ABOUT AUDI CONNECT I think it gives you a status of the licence. If expired call your dealer to get it renewed.
You also need a working data connection.... :racer:

Morning guys,IMG 0903 IMG 0902 IMG 0901

Thanks for your continued help - I've used the manuals as above and seen demos on Youtube.

The front console didn't seem to operate rear lights and the rear light swtiches weren't working. When i took it apart, the little switch board inside had flashing read lights above the push switches. Trying to get a new switchboard thingy but seems everywhere seels the rear lights as a pack at a BIG cost.

MMI - Intermittently it's staying in on start up, even when i've not used the button previously. When it stays in, i have to press the button for it to come out and then turn it on using the volume button. to add to this, each time it comes out on it's own everything initializes and takes ages. Feels like it's starting for the first time.

Tel - I don;t have that option for call made with. Attached some photos and I also don't have an audi connect option anywhere.

Somethings starting to worry me on what i've bought here. Like someones tried to upgrade and gone wrong.

On your MMI screen it indicates only 2G service is connected. You can’t get data on 2G, so something not quite right there.

MMI is a complex beast, I’ve probably only used about 30% of its capability so far.

On the phone connection, I would recommend you delete it completely from your Bluetooth connection, and start the process again. If I recall correctly, as it goes through the bonding process, one of the MMI splash screens will ask you if you want to use in-car SIM or mobile for calls. You can probably force the choice by removing the in-car SIM then reinserting...

On the rear lights interior lights they often come up on eBay, so worth looking there. A6 and A7 platforms are the same, just make sure you get ones for the C7/C7.5 model.

Your on the prefacelift MMI version, so there are some differences between my and yours. The online manuals are quite user friendly, and easily searchable for info.

Cheers,
John.

Thanks John.
I assume the unit can't be upgraded to post-facelift without new kit?

I've tried repairing and it only gives me the options of media and directory. Such a pain.

Gorgeous machine but i'm a gadget hungry guy and these little things will make me hate the machine if i can't get it fixed and being a yorkshireman it needs to be done for the price of a pint :-(

Hoping to get Vagcom on it this weekend see what happens, but im slightly scared what may show......

Thanks all for the help.

Lots of things are interconnected using a fibre optic cable, all daisy chained together. This includes the MMI and screen. Something as simple as a loose cable can cause all sorts of gremlins, so no need to panic yet. A VCDS scan will definitely help, but don’t get too worried if a long list of ‘faults’ pop up, normal on first scan.

I’ve not seen partly functioning MMIs, it’s usually all or nothing, so I doubt it’s anything majorly expensive with the MMI. Probably more configuration than anything. On the in-car SIM card, try swapping it with the one in your mobile and see if you can access AUDI connect. I’ve had a bad SIM before, which threw me for days!

There is an upgrade route to the facelifted MMI, which looks similar, but pretty much all new inside. Big £££ cost though.

Thanks again.
Skip the upgrade.

I can't find anything on the MMI to show me Audi Connect, but when i registered it on myAudi it says i need to renew it.
Waiting on Audi to give me a price and also what benefits do i get from being on connect?

The maps work find when google has loaded up.

Lets see what VCDs shows me.....

Managed to speak to Audi, apparently, you can't reconnect once it's run out. It's either a 3month or 3year package but after that they've not worked out how to charge again.

Found my Audi connect and it's in info when the Nav is on. Seems to work, but not sure if the data on petrol stations etc up to date.

Reset MMI, still stays in on odd occasions and when the SIM is in Bluetooth phone can only be a media and directory supplier.

Getting frustrating to say the least. Asked audi, never heard of this issue but were happy to take a look for a couple hundred quid!

IMG 4534
Treborh - I've been having the same issues with the phone / sim. Unfortunately Ifound this last night in the MMI plus manual. ...seems there's no way to use the Bluetooth hands free connection and have the sim active for audi connect services at the same time :(

Read in a5 forum if you update to latest mmi it’s been fixed.

I did it but jumped over one version and I think it was in that version. Will go back and find out