Newbie wanting to lower my ride height

MrHSingh

Reaction score
Hi All

Ive had my 2011 1.6tdi SE for a couple of years and since buying it I've swapped the standard 16" rims for 18s because the 16s just looked awful. but the problem I have now is that the car "looks like a monster truck" as a mate said. I just want to lower it so the wheels and the arches are flush, nothing crazy, just so that everything lines up nicely like the s-lines. After a bit of reading on here I'm just not sure of whether to buy lowering springs or an AP coil over kit. The springs are cheap as chips and seem like they will do what I want but then so do the coil overs.. Any advice would be appreciated

H

Mine is lowered on eibach pro kit springs which will lower your car around 30mm. These springs are the closest you can stay to factory "comfort" (comfort used very loosely) whilst still achieving the look you want.

Next step up is eibach sport line springs. They will lower at least 40mm but because of the more aggressive lowering don't work so well with factory shocks. You'd have to replace the shock too, putting you into coil over money.

I know nothing about coilovers but I'm sure someone will be along shortly.

H&R make lowering springs for the A3 but tend to provide a stiffer setup compared to the eibach

Don't base your decision on cost alone, cheap stuff will ruin your car

I'll say what I say on every one of these threads, I'd always go coilovers over springs. So many people get springs, put them on, aren't happy with the ride height, take them off then get coilovers which is the longer, more expensive way round.

By getting coilovers you'll be able to get it sitting EXACTLY how you want it so you won't be dissapointed.

Reactions: Sandra
Thanks for the input guys, think I will save for the coilovers then! Just spent a fair amount on upgrading to Bixenons so its gonna have to wait a couple of months :/

I'll say what I say on every one of these threads, I'd always go coilovers over springs. So many people get springs, put them on, aren't happy with the ride height, take them off then get coilovers which is the longer, more expensive way round.

By getting coilovers you'll be able to get it sitting EXACTLY how you want it so you won't be dissapointed.
Plz forgive my ignorance as ive always used springs thinking that a spring/damper combo will be more comfortable than coilovers, I assume by what you say that isn't true?