Newbie tyre help please

3r1k

Reaction score
apologise if similar has been asked but I can’t find it. If so please redirect me.

Have been around this forum for a while and also RS3 8v as had that prior to s4. Useful stuff so thanks to those who post regularly.

Query is this. S4 is on standard 19 rims with 245 35 tyres. I have a virtually brand new set of 18 225 40 Pirelli sottozero 92H M+s winter tyres. My internet research suggest I can use these on the S4 with an 18 rim. Am I correct? If so I am tempted to get new wheels and try them as I expect current tyres to need replacing october/November time.

If ok am I right in thinking current rim is 8.5j (understand this is wheel width)with et40 (no idea what this means). Research suggests 8j possibly 7.5 on 18? And possibly et38. Does this seem correct?

I know little about tyres/wheels so if anyone who does can enlighten me will be appreciated.

Thanks.

I’d imagine you can put on any wheel that’s the same fitment dimension, 5X112 if I’m not mistaken.

Those tyres are a little small and will mean that your speedo is out by a bit. The standard 18” tyres are 245 width rather than 225.

4021e1a18233ff3916fdebc1de5ac6ed.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the swift responses. I did wonder if there a bit small but wondered if they were still within Speedo tolerances. I think they are just. I read something that said 225 works and this is the size that has to be used with chains as is widest possible. I have no intention of using chains.

I was not particularly clear with op. I am fairly sure physically they will fit. What I can’t seem to find out, probably as I am ingnorant on such things and don’t understand what I’m reading, is what is will do to wheel geometry and traction systems etc. Presumably realignment would be needed on change over?