Newbie to Detailing

Dar15

Reaction score
Hello all.
I'm about to take delivery of my new car.
I would to try and keep it looking as good as poss and intend on cleaning it most weekends weather permitting.

I'll be starting from scratch.
What would you guys recommend I'll need to buy.
Bit confused by everything you read on the Internet. Clay bars, wheel sealants, grit guards etc.
not sure what to buy.
I'd only want to purchase once!
Thanks for any help.

how much time do you want to spend on keeping your car clean... i.e. how far down the BS detailing route do you want to go?? lol

there is litterally millions of products for every stage and every bit of cleaning, and anyone that like this stuff will all have their favs, so all you'll get is a list of products which mean nothing and may not suit what you're trying to do.

if you don't want to go too far, then I would suggest, at the very least:

a big bucket and mitt
a good shampoo without any wax
a hand polish
a nice wax or sealant
all purpose cleaner
alloy wheel cleaner if you have them.
and loads of nice clothes and applicators

if you want to add a few items, then a clay cloth and tar remover would help get a better finish, and maybe some tyre gel.

TBH, all the above can be purchased in Halfords, and all under the same range - Autoglym.

if you want to go fancier with 'better names' and smoke and mirrors of people pretending to make things, there is a whole list of companies and products as I've said.

then again, you can go really stupid and start paying thousands of pounds for wax and equipment like I have! hahahahah... believe me, it's not really worth it

Echoing the above really, depends how far you're willing to go with your time and money.

Don't get sucked into the expensive stuff, especially when it comes to wax. Spending time on the finish of your paintwork and protecting it with a £15 tub of Natty's wax will look just as good as one ten times the price. Do some research. 50p Tesco value all-purpose cleaner works just as well as a fancy named £10 bottle. it's how you dilute and work it that counts.

I would recommend looking into the 'two-bucket' method of cleaning, it goes a long way toward preventing further damage to the paintwork.

Clean your wheels thoroughly (fallout remover, tar remover, clay, etc) and then protect them with either a dedicated wheel sealant or a few layers of what you use on the car. It will make keeping them in good condition much easier.

I dare not calculate the total I've spent on car cleaning stuff but I know it will probably be within the £150-£200 region haha. My mates got me more interested in detailing and so I used their guidance. I would help them to wash my own car and that way I saw different products at work.

My own stuff:

Optional: Snow foam and lance - Just started using the Valet Pro snow foam and does foam up well.
20150322 122857
20150322 122925

Meguiars lambswool wash mitt - definitely get one of these

Meguiars bucket with grit guard - Get this, the grit guard fits very well and the bucket is quite sturdy for a plastic item!

Shampoo - This is up to you, there are so many out there. I use Meguiars NXT Wash at the moment, has a nice smell and provides good lubricity. Prior to this, I used Gold class wash which was ok.

All-purpose cleaner - Bilthamber Surfex HD - Does a decent job on the wheels and around the badges/grilles when used in conjunction with a ValetPro wheel brush.

Clay Bar - I use the BiltHamber claybars as they only require water as a lubricant. I've got both the SOFT and REGULAR versions of the claybar. The SOFT version is very pliable and easy to work/roll out (fine for a new car). The REGULAR is for heavier contamination and much harder to work/roll out. If you're new to detailing, claying will be one of the best parts of washing the car, your paint will become irresistibly smooth prior to polish/wax.

Polish - I started with Autoglym super polish, a reasonably-priced product that contains resins to fill in tiny swirls and does an ok job to make your paint look glossier. It's not a proper cutting polish that will remove bigger swirls. I've bought some Poorboys SSR2 recently and this adds a little bit more cut, but don't expect miracles. If swirls are too deep/large, machine polishing will be required.

Wax - Collinite 476 - This is a very good wax that I can recommend. It's cheap and lasts ages. it's easy to apply and buff off too. One tin lasts ages, still on the first tin and I've waxed about 4 cars (each car got a few coats too).

Drying towel - I've got the Cleanyourcar waffle weave drying towel. This does a very good job, bought two of these!

Got loads more little items here and there but these are the essentials. There are so many little accessories that add to the costs without you realising initially! Wheel brushes, loads of microfibre cloths, spray bottles, applicators etc.

Other products I can recommend:

Autoglym glass polish - Makes side mirrors and glass look new - good for removing water spots (you're going to need it if you are in a hard water area).

IronX - excellent stuff that smells terrible - helps remove iron contamination. New cars won't have a lot, but you tend to find more around the wheels.
20150307 160439

20150307 160625

Hope this helps, let us know if you want more advice!

I'd certainly recommend the two bucket method, with grit guard, they're not expensive and looked after will last you years. Plenty of you tube stuff on the two bucket method.
I'd really recommend a pressure washer, once again there are some good value ones about. This gets a lot of the abrasive dust and grit off before you touch it with anything. A ph neutral shampoo is helpful as it will not strip off any wax you have applied, avoid overloading your bucket with too much shampoo. Use a mitt not a cloth or sponge to wash it with, rinse off well and use drying cloths which get washed along with the mitt after every use.

Don't use polish, use a wax and be wary of some wheel cleaners which can be highly acidic or alkaline and will strip plating off fasteners and callipers.

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/dodo-juice/born-to-be-mild-shampoo.aspx

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Cotech...gclid=CJzyjdC4yMQCFayWtAodmUkAtw&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7420023.htm

Amazon product