Newbie saying hi

STmichael

Reaction score
Hello,
Just introducing myself as I have just signed up for an Edition 1 over the weekend. I’ve ordered a 35 TFSI s-tronic sportback in Mythos black. Options I’ve picked are comfort and sound pack, sunroof and rear air bags. I am just waiting for the dealer to come back to me with a build date but it is looking like May time.
I currently drive a golf GTD and will totally miss it when the lease is up.
I always join a forum for the car I drive as they can be invaluable for advice and general chitchat so hopefully I will get involved over the coming months then for 3 tears after I take delivery.
One quick question. I have read/seen conflicting information (even from different dealers) that the car has the 48V mild hybrid system. Does it have this system or not?

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Bairn, NIKLDN and Jcbmally
Sorry can't answer your question but welcome to the forum:icon thumright:

Hello,
Just introducing myself as I have just signed up for an Edition 1 over the weekend. I’ve ordered a 35 TFSI s-tronic sportback in Mythos black. Options I’ve picked are comfort and sound pack, sunroof and rear air bags. I am just waiting for the dealer to come back to me with a build date but it is looking like May time.
I always join a forum for the car I drive as they can be invaluable for advice and general chitchat so hopefully I will get involved over the coming months then for 3 tears after I take delivery.
One quick question. I have read/seen conflicting information (even from different dealers) that the car has the 48V mild hybrid system. Does it have this system or not?

Welcome bud and congrats on placing your order.

Really nice spec you've gone for and yes our cars do have mhev under the driver seat.

If you want to find out everything there is to know about the cars, check out my ever evolving channel dedicated largely to the 8y. Lots of feature and demo info.

Hope you subscribe :)

Https://YouTube.com/c/crdchannel

Any questions give me a shout.

Auzzam (CRD on YouTube)

Reactions: 8YA335TDI1STED
Thanks Auzzam. I’ve watched all your youtube videos while deciding which car to choose next and they have certainly helped with my decision. Do you fancy doing a clip on the hybrid system?

Cheers

Reactions: NIKLDN
I'm under the impression that no MHEV on manual and diesels.
And they come standard with 35TFSI DSG?
The part I'm unsure is do all DSG petrols have MHEV (including 30 TFSI) mpg numbers seem to noticeably better compared to manual counterparts (at least for the 1.0).

Thanks Auzzam. I’ve watched all your youtube videos while deciding which car to choose next and they have certainly helped with my decision. Do you fancy doing a clip on the hybrid system?

Cheers
thanks buddy,

I would love to - once I figure out the best way to demonstrate / explain it LOL

There are animations on YouTube, but I still do not feel like it explains it well enough.

thanks buddy,

I would love to - once I figure out the best way to demonstrate / explain it LOL

There are animations on YouTube, but I still do not feel like it explains it well enough.

I agree. Nothing like a real world demonstration!

Hey,

I’m new just as you picking up my A3 Edition 1 tomorrow morning, feels like Christmas come early

Hello,

Congrats! You've ordered an s-tronic, so you will get the mild hybrid system. I think Edition 1 with the C&S pack is definitely the way to go. I am just about to 'press the button' on a similar order, but mine will be a manual in Navarro Blue. Dealer has already reserved a build slot for late May.

Congrats! You've ordered an s-tronic, so you will get the mild hybrid system. I think Edition 1 with the C&S pack is definitely the way to go. I am just about to 'press the button' on a similar order, but mine will be a manual in Navarro Blue. Dealer has already reserved a build slot for late May.
Navarro blue is a lovely colour and was tempted to go that way myself. Being a manual you get the memory seats which I really wanted but could not get in my combination I find that really strange!

Navarro blue is a lovely colour and was tempted to go that way myself. Being a manual you get the memory seats which I really wanted but could not get in my combination I find that really strange!

Never realised that, having simply selected the manual gearbox option under 'Engine'. So, according to the configurator, you get 'power adjustable front seats' (and lumbar adjustment) but no memory function... I have never had electrically adjustable front seats before, but I thought that the memory function was the whole point? You probably saw that the memory function also extends to both wing mirrors, which is a nice touch. This will be a car that my partner will probably drive much more than my current TTS coupe (she struggles to get in and out of it!), so the seat memory function should prove very useful. Why speccing a different gearbox makes a difference to what seats you can have is a bit baffling at first sight. However, just re-checking the details on the electric seats, the configurator does say "Memory function not available on 35 TFSI S tronic Edition 1 and Vorsprung trims". I'm guessing, therefore, that it is something to do with the presence of the 48V battery. As we said before, the manual doesn't have one.

Never realised that, having simply selected the manual gearbox option under 'Engine'. So, according to the configurator, you get 'power adjustable front seats' (and lumbar adjustment) but no memory function... I have never had electrically adjustable front seats before, but I thought that the memory function was the whole point? You probably saw that the memory function also extends to both wing mirrors, which is a nice touch. This will be a car that my partner will probably drive much more than my current TTS coupe (she struggles to get in and out of it!), so the seat memory function should prove very useful. Why speccing a different gearbox makes a difference to what seats you can have is a bit baffling at first sight. However, just re-checking the details on the electric seats, the configurator does say "Memory function not available on 35 TFSI S tronic Edition 1 and Vorsprung trims". I'm guessing, therefore, that it is something to do with the presence of the 48V battery. As we said before, the manual doesn't have one.
Yeah I think it is something to do with the hybrid system under the seat although I cannot see why. The motors and everything should be the same bar positional feedback for the memory function which would probably be via encoder feedback on the end of the motor (electrical engineer so I know a few things).
My wife and I have a similar driving position so in our current car it’s just a couple of clicks on the rack. I feel with electric seats we will be forever trying to find that sweet spot!

Yeah I think it is something to do with the hybrid system under the seat although I cannot see why. The motors and everything should be the same bar positional feedback for the memory function which would probably be via encoder feedback on the end of the motor (electrical engineer so I know a few things).

If you're an engineer (I am too), this sort of puzzle 'gets in your head', so I did a bit more digging. And soon came across a thread on here from November of last year. Suggest you take a read. Just make sure you read till the end because the first few posts are quite concerning. At the end of it, though, there is still no technical explanation of why cars with the mild hybrid tech can have electric seats, but can't have the memory function. From some of the more 'political' comments, I rather suspect that this information is not in the public domain, so we might be left making educated guesses. Hopefully, someone can provide a proper explanation.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-a3-35tfsi-auto-no-electric-seats.421932/

I have not taken delivery off my car yet so I am not able to see what’s going on for myself. Is there anything under the passenger seat? If not and space is so restricted that there would be no room for the feedback system, why was the hybrid components not sited under the passengers seat or another place. That would then allow the drivers memory function to be installed.

I have not taken delivery off my car yet so I am not able to see what’s going on for myself. Is there anything under the passenger seat? If not and space is so restricted that there would be no room for the feedback system, why was the hybrid components not sited under the passengers seat or another place. That would then allow the drivers memory function to be installed.
I don't have mine yet either, but from my test drives (A3, Leon, Golf) all the hybrid systems were under the driver seat and there was no space under there. I also wondered why they didn't put it under the passenger seat...

I don't have mine yet either, but from my test drives (A3, Leon, Golf) all the hybrid systems were under the driver seat and there was no space under there. I also wondered why they didn't put it under the passenger seat...
Both seats have components beneath them in mild hybrid models. In the U.K., the driver has the battery underneath them (in a sealed metal box) and the passenger sits on top of the inverter / electronics (in a vented plastic box, IIRC).
In Europe, its the other way around (ie the boxes don’t change position).

Both seats have components beneath them in mild hybrid models. In the U.K., the driver has the battery underneath them (in a sealed metal box) and the passenger sits on top of the inverter / electronics (in a vented plastic box, IIRC).
In Europe, its the other way around (ie the boxes don’t change position).
I wonder if Europe get memory seats on the mild hybrid models?

@STmichael welcome to a great informative forum bud , @auzzam_crd , Big respect mate your channel has been instrumental in my choice of spec and engine , sorry to see you were not advised properly when purchasing your A3 re electric seats .

with regard to the the above electric seats with or without and whether it would have memory function I believe I can shed a little light on this subject .

having watched all of Auzzam's videos Along with LewisB's videos. I felt I was ready to place an order so I called 3 different Audi dealers and got 3 different answers along the lines of you need a manual but you wont get memory , or you can't get electric seats with petrol, these are only available with the diesel . Or the diesel only has lumber support ????? Hmmm I thought summit real fishy going on here :tropicalfish: :tropicalfish::tropicalfish: like real aquarium stuff .

So I called Audi UK CS , and asked the question again , how do I spec my new a3 ed1 with full electric seats ? again the Audi CS rep was confused and could not really answer the question when I pointed out the configurator was very un intuitive he then tried to spec the vehicle of choice and he wholly agreed and asked if he could call me back , to which I agreed of course , 30 mins later I received the answer .

He called someone in the know and the reply was that full electric with memory is only available on the tdi , I asked why is this the case ? and explained to him that I would like a petrol but decided to call your self to confirm whether the spec would be as expected ? so off he went to make another call to fully confirm and receive an explanation .

promptly he returned the call and stated the petrol 35 mild hybrid cannot meet WLPT ( The Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test ) Procedure regulations with full electrics installed and that is the reason behind the confusion , Again that is affected by your choice of transmission , or anything else that adds weight to your car versus its power output .

Hope this info helps some folks in the future but seriously man without the guys who dedicate their time to putting info out there we could all have vw seats and be none the wiser :seenoevil:

@STmichael you have stirred up a hornets nest here , I had been in hibernation for the last 10 years since I sold my last S3 :alien:

@STmichael welcome to a great informative forum bud , @auzzam_crd , Big respect mate your channel has been instrumental in my choice of spec and engine , sorry to see you were not advised properly when purchasing your A3 re electric seats .

with regard to the the above electric seats with or without and whether it would have memory function I believe I can shed a little light on this subject .

having watched all of Auzzam's videos Along with LewisB's videos. I felt I was ready to place an order so I called 3 different Audi dealers and got 3 different answers along the lines of you need a manual but you wont get memory , or you can't get electric seats with petrol, these are only available with the diesel . Or the diesel only has lumber support ????? Hmmm I thought summit real fishy going on here :tropicalfish: :tropicalfish::tropicalfish: like real aquarium stuff .

So I called Audi UK CS , and asked the question again , how do I spec my new a3 ed1 with full electric seats ? again the Audi CS rep was confused and could not really answer the question when I pointed out the configurator was very un intuitive he then tried to spec the vehicle of choice and he wholly agreed and asked if he could call me back , to which I agreed of course , 30 mins later I received the answer .

He called someone in the know and the reply was that full electric with memory is only available on the tdi , I asked why is this the case ? and explained to him that I would like a petrol but decided to call your self to confirm whether the spec would be as expected ? so off he went to make another call to fully confirm and receive an explanation .

promptly he returned the call and stated the petrol 35 mild hybrid cannot meet WLPT ( The Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test ) Procedure regulations with full electrics installed and that is the reason behind the confusion , Again that is affected by your choice of transmission , or anything else that adds weight to your car versus its power output .

Hope this info helps some folks in the future but seriously man without the guys who dedicate their time to putting info out there we could all have vw seats and be none the wiser :seenoevil:

@STmichael you have stirred up a hornets nest here , I had been in hibernation for the last 10 years since I sold my last S3 :alien:
Strange, I have a petrol 35 MANUAL and it has electric seats?

• Wow
@STmichael welcome to a great informative forum bud , @auzzam_crd , Big respect mate your channel has been instrumental in my choice of spec and engine...without the guys who dedicate their time to putting info out there we could all have vw seats and be none the wiser :seenoevil:

Thanks bud! - and really good explanation of the reason behind it. I always wondered why it was the mild hybrid battery cars only and was often told it was to do with not having space under the driver seat to add the memory function.

Your one post summed up my experience so far - the answers keep changing , much like their configurator!