Newbie questions bought myself an a3 8p tdi :)

gizm0

Reaction score
Hi all purchased myself a 2008 57plate A3 tdi 170, s line with Bose and auto lights & wipers and absolutely love it! Just got a couple of questions if anyone could be so kind to help?

The car has the round mfsw but when I press the two inner buttons it comes up 'no function' could anyone tell me what they are supposed to do or how I get it to work?

I want to fit cruise control but have found many conflicting opinions about what I'll need, I have the mfsw and the drivers info about mpg etc, and any idea what sort of price someone would charge to code it in for me as I can supply and fit the parts myself.

Im also looking at fitting the sat nav (RNS-E?) but I have the audi concert cd player and haven't found much info on that retrofit to be able to tell me how hard it is to change over?

Last question lol... Where's the cheapest place to buy vag com from so I could maybe have a go at coding myself iv been told £250 in the past and is there a mac version?

Thanks all.

Dan

Hi mate, congrats on the new purchase.

The two inner buttons are used if you have the factory fitted Bluetooth. Allows to to speak the name a dial, also allows you to scroll through phonebook and dial. If these functions do not work then I assume you don't have Bluetooth.

With regards to cruise, then all you need, is the double stalk with cruise and new lower cowling. You already gave the right steering ecu.
You will also need this coding.

There are many members here who can do this install for you, including myself, NHN, j0bo, Itwasntme187 as well as others. All depending what area you are.

Best person to contact for VCDS cable is NHN as he is the genuine stockist here, and is doing a group buy at the moment.

Thanks for the speedy reply, is there any way I can find out if I have Bluetooth? How do I connect my phone? I think it's pointless Audi fitting the buttons of it doesn't work lol.

Im from the birmingham area work Nottingham way but wouldn't mind travelling a little bit if I got someone to code it for me.

Sounds good have you got a link to the group but please?

Thanks
Dan

Here is a link to the group buy Vagcom.biz
or you could just PM NHN on here.

Best way to find out if you have Bluetooth, is to search new devices from your phone, or press the mode button on your wheel and it should come up with something like "no phone connected".

Thanks I'll look into getting vagcom then, does the group buy come with the software etc?

The mode button just says 'no function'

Does your car come with phone prep in the leather armrest or does it have the shark fin on the roof, if so you will 100% have Bluetooth, just search for it as soon as you start the car.

Rnse is a very easy job, remove old cd player, insert rnse and plug in the leads, then code via vag com. Just need to mount the gps antenna too. Takes about 15 mins all in. With you saying you have Bose you need to change over a wire. Here is a helpful thread on the full job
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...-2007-s3-8p-symphony-ii-rns-e-conversion.html

Cruise is simple to fit takes around 1 hour. I have done this a few times. Also needs coding.

Here is a very helpful guide to follow

Yeah I read about the symphony to rnse but I have the concert and has a slightly rounded headunit is it still a straight swap? Thanks for both guides

Just checked NHN's group but, and it seems it has ended. Sorry for this. Still contact him as his normal price is still competitive.

Ok thanks anyway, is it much effort/cost to fit Bluetooth to my a3?

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I see that you work in Nottingham, give ESP cars a call as they are based in Nottingham. They fitted my Bluetooth for me using all Audi parts so it is essentially as it would be if it came from the factory. Very neat job no sign of anything having being removed and no squeaks or rattles. Think it was about £350.

Ok thanks, don't think I'll et that much use out the Bluetooth to warrant spending that much on it lol definatly want the cruise control and maybe RNS-E.

Any other little upgrades anyone can recommend?