Newbie Question - Drive Select

Carrerakid

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So after nearly 17yrs of Porsche's I've crossed over to the RS6 side in the last month and have to say I was hooked from 5mins into the test drive.

I took delivery of an new RS6 in Merlin Purple with titanium wheels and the carbon pack amongst other options. Here's a quick pic from up on the moors this week. Unfortunately my phone camera doesn't give the colour justice - it really pops in bright sunlight.

RS6

Being a typical northern bloke I haven't read the manuals in detail so I am struggling to get my head around 'Drive Select'. I have set up 'individual' to give a comfortable daily ride with the addition of sports exhaust (don't think I will every tire of that gurgle and pop on the overrun).
However, what is the difference, if any, between knocking back the gear shift into sport as opposed to selecting 'Dynamic' on the MMI under drive select?

Out on the open road I have been switching into sport from the shifter as it is more convenient but wonder if in doing so, I am missing out on some performance tweaks.

Advice appreciated.

Reactions: xpoweruk
Hi,

I owned a porsche for a couple of years, and much like you, drove the RS6 and was hooked!

Lovely car you have there.

Reference your question, I am certainly not Northern, very much a Southerner! But I too don't read the manuals!

And if I am honest, I don't know the answer catergorically to your question. But I think the difference is, if you are in individual mode and simply knock her into Sport shift your settings remain as you set them in respect to suspension settings etc, the only thing that changes is the engine mode.

If you choose dynamic mode everything is set to dynamic setting inc suspension etc, this is not changeable.

I have the same set up as you in individual mode and just pop her in S if I want abit more response, tend to leave dynamic mode alone as the suspension is to hard to UK roads IMO.

Hope that helps, but like I say I don't know the if this is 100% correct, just my ten pence worth having messed about with the modes!

Thanks for you advice Tyspy, that all makes sense and from what I can tell is 100% correct.

Must say I am blown away by the Matrix Headlights system after my first few night runs.