Newbie - potential S3 purchase

baderlfc

Reaction score
Hi all, new to Audi so bare with me.

I'm considering purchasing an S3 in the new year as they appear to offer good value currently I guess with the new model now on the market their prices have dropped.

I currently run around in a 2003 Golf GT TDi 130 and I've just had a guts full of diesel performance.. its just not my cup of tea, first and last diesel I will own. I've come from BMW and now I fancy an Audi.

My question is.. Is it worth the extra money for a facelift model? I've seen plenty of 2007 models with reasonable mileage, good nick, FSH etc for around £12-13k, then the facelift models with similar mileage are roughly £16-17k. Now obviously they are younger so more money, thats a no brainer.

But is it just a few grand to have a newer car? From what I can establish they just have new wheels (I'd replace with 19" rims anyway), different lower grill, more modern looking lights? anything else bar a few shiny bits inside? Any mechanical upgrades of note to justify the extra cash? Is the pre-facelift lacking anything key?

Cheers in advance
Mike

Think the biggest difference in mechanicals is the next gen haldex system... Its the same dillema I had... Depends what your really gonna be using it for... Mines is nights/wkends, so could I really justifiy having a 16/17k car sitting the driveway the majority of the time not getting used... I ended up going for an 08 still cost me 13.5k n i've spent loads on it since I got it, so its all a catch 22 really, the money I spent on buying the car and then for bits, I couldve got the facelift quite easily, but I love my car regardless so I dont really care lol

It's not just facelift/non facelift, the options on the car effect the price vastly too. £12-13k is generally the ropier end of the market for straight ones.

If I was buying mine again I would only be looking at facelift models.

I had seen somewhere that the facelift had the updated haldex controller but that there wasn't a great deal of difference in the 2??? is that correct?

If you look on ebay/autotrader at the moment there's a fairly wide choice of pre-facelifts all with full history, sub 70k mileage cars for £13k. Although facelifts models with low mileage are generally about £18k currently but I assume this will drop over the next 12 months.

I would ideally like a sprint blue car, flat bottom wheel, black leather, black grill and privacy glass. Any other options don't really bother me, thinks like heated seats, sat nav etc.. Ive never had them options on a car before and can't say i've ever wanted them.

As far as tuning goes I'd only go stage 1, 2 maximum so remap, intake, maybe exhaust. I believe its recommended you upgrade the DV but is there anything else that should be considered? I know obviously clutches can go with increased power.

Anything to check when buying? any key service history to look for (cambelt/waterpump I am aware of)

I bought my car private aswell though, got full flat bottom, half leather/acantara interior aswell.. .buy that from audi looking at 15.5k

The cambelt should be changed every 5yrs regardless... most s3's come with heated seats as standard... it wasnt an option is was looking at either, but it is nice to have.. Sprint blue will command more money as its a more desirable colour and they dont get offered up for sale a lot.. i'm going top end stage 1 with mine... Cold air intake, with remap and uprated gfb+ dv is all you need to be running around 320bhp... You dont get sprint blues pre-facelift with optics grill as standard, I had to source 1 and it took me about a month to get it sorted... but I had a full oem plasti-dipped grill going up for sale soon so you might be in luck.. heres a couple of pics of mine..

Flat bottom steering wheel...
half leather/alcantara.... black/whi
black optics grill....

I've added the new facelift rear clusters and the rotors to mine since I got it.... and then theres the engine mods lol... next mods... black lower valance, front and rear... gfb+ dv then remap :) ..... my cars sitting at 56k mileage

Last edited by a moderator:
You only need to upgrade the DV on the older models, if you buy a facelift it should be fine.

When i was buying about two months ago, my initial budget was putting me in pre facelift territory 57/08 plates with 50K + miles on the clock, with a few options on them. Some of the main things i hated about the pre face lifts was:

Stupid placement of the bluetooth phone holders (on the dash it looks gash ;) )
Non flat bottom/multifuction steering wheels as it was an option - on the facelifts it was standard.

I wanted lots of options (to keep a high resale value) & low milage and as new as possible.

I ended up with a 2009 S-tronic (even higher resale value & quite rare) With a spec list as long as your arm, full heated wing backs, satnav dvd system, black edition styling just to name a few. I paid a lot for it but i love it, it was also bought from a main dealer so i paid a premium for that but the full 12 month warranty was peace of mind on such an expensive car.

Personally i doubt they will go down much in value, i for one prefer the looks of the 8P over the 8V anyday.

The belts are supposed to be done every 5 years or 75k miles so if your buying a pre face lift you will need to make sure of that even if the milage is low.

As has been said it depends what your going to use the car for, if its the odd evening and weekends then i wouldn't have bought the one i did, plus you could get away with a higher miler, but for every day use all of the options are nice comforts to have!

Hope that helps!

Cant confirm but I am sure someone can on here can. I believe the face lift comes with xennons self leveling, cornering and DRL whilst pre face lift does not?

Cant confirm but I am sure someone can on here can. I believe the face lift comes with xennons self leveling, cornering and DRL whilst pre face lift does not?

mine has self levelling xenons so that is false... pre-facelift also has drls, but they are not the same sweeping drls as the facelift

I had seen somewhere that the facelift had the updated haldex controller but that there wasn't a great deal of difference in the 2??? is that correct?

If you look on ebay/autotrader at the moment there's a fairly wide choice of pre-facelifts all with full history, sub 70k mileage cars for £13k. Although facelifts models with low mileage are generally about £18k currently but I assume this will drop over the next 12 months.

I would ideally like a sprint blue car, flat bottom wheel, black leather, black grill and privacy glass. Any other options don't really bother me, thinks like heated seats, sat nav etc.. Ive never had them options on a car before and can't say i've ever wanted them.

As far as tuning goes I'd only go stage 1, 2 maximum so remap, intake, maybe exhaust. I believe its recommended you upgrade the DV but is there anything else that should be considered? I know obviously clutches can go with increased power.

Anything to check when buying? any key service history to look for (cambelt/waterpump I am aware of)

hey mate, it depends what you prefer a more modern look or the pre-facelift its just taste, as for the haldex the difference between facelift and pre-facelift is that the haldex can give up to 70% power to the rear (facelift) and prefacelift up to 50% given you don't want to go more then stg2+ then i would not worry about it.

other changes include the DV..

i would look out for the oil pump pick up with audis long life service really kills them engines so i would watch for that, change your cam belt regardless if i were you.. check that the box/ haldex/brake fluid have been changed accordingly along with stuff like the fuel filter plugs etc.. as no one really changes them unless you ask for it (at least at the dealership).

Was there an upgrade to the DV then? I assume facelift has one with metal interals like the forge upgrade part?

Will all S3s be on longlife service or should they be serviced annually? Whats the service schedule for haldex/gearbox? I assume brake fluid is every 2 years?

The DV in the facelifts is the revision D which is the latest one. Forge & AMD do an uprated version but from what i gather its really only necessary if your running more power than stock. I.e stage 1 as it holds the boost for longer.

Mines currently for sale in the classified and eBay. Going to put it up on auto trader and pistonheads if it doesn't sell on eBay. I'll post a link in a few minutes, currently on the phone.

Here's mine. I was going to sell in the new year, but I assumed that no one would have any money after Christmas. Turns out I was wrong, had a few people say they would of had it if I was selling in the new year, but it's a bit close to when I go to Australia to see the family for a month in February.

2007 AUDI S3 TFSI QUATTRO BLUE | eBay

I would say go for the facelift if you can, still absolutely love mine and I don't think the value has dropped that much due to the 8V, I was quite cheeky when I bought mine and offered the dealer 20K cash when it was up for 23K, pretty sure even now I would get 18K for it based on Autotrader prices.

Looking at the Autotrader prices they are still going for around £20K with a DSG box with low miles, keeping a smile on my face at the mo! ;)

Was there an upgrade to the DV then? I assume facelift has one with metal interals like the forge upgrade part?

Will all S3s be on longlife service or should they be serviced annually? Whats the service schedule for haldex/gearbox? I assume brake fluid is every 2 years?

hey mate, i service the box / haldex every year once, engine / filter including fuel filter every 6 months or less depending

and yes the facelift has the REV D valve its only £60 irc

Here's mine. I was going to sell in the new year, but I assumed that no one would have any money after Christmas. Turns out I was wrong, had a few people say they would of had it if I was selling in the new year, but it's a bit close to when I go to Australia to see the family for a month in February.

2007 AUDI S3 TFSI QUATTRO BLUE | eBay

that is a lovley car, in the colour i want too.... i'm pretty new to this forum but im selling my MK5 R32 and have a buyer for it, just got to find a car!! will check your advert out, but i remember seeing it and thinking your a long way to travel. Ive just got to work out the pre facelift models, of facelifts models and what year they kicked in etc..