Newbie looking for adive/tips on buying a B6

m04ckj

Reaction score
Hi all,

My name is Drew and am new to the forum. All my previous cars have been Hondas, starting with a 1.4 Civic moving to a VTI and laterly to an import SiR. Been without a car now for around a year or so, my next car was going to be an Evo 6 however, due to insurance and running costs I am postponing unill a year or so.

Which leads me to you guys.... I am looking for B6 saloon, engine wise I am unsure as of yet?! I am aware that they are going to be completely different from my last car!

Don't do a huge milage, <7k so either looking at the 1.9tdi, 1.8t or 2.0

I am looking to spend around 2.5k-3.5k on the car itself and then would lower and get some decent alloys, would spend more on a car with the above though.

I have read many posts on the 1.9tdi Vs 1.8t and seems to be no difinative answer, very few seem to have the 2.0 is it a poor engine?

Any tips on anything to do with my purchase would be magic.

Thanks

Drew

Hi Drew
Just been through the same search...thankfully it's all over. From what I have experienced the 1.9 TDI is the better engine, now I have one I can honestly say it's fantastic, just a couple of niggles to sort out.
When looking don't be put off by the high milege models, service history and a genuine owner is more important. Also pay attention to the interior especially the seat edges and cowling around the window switches on the drivers door. The rubber coating does chip, but from what I have found a well looked after car will have very little wear around these area's.
Hope this helps
Gaz

You could buy a AUDI B5 (older shape) that has been well looked after with upgraded parts for 3.5k. I just don't think you will get a good A4 B6 for 3.5k. Welcome to AUDI SPORT.net

Thanks for the replies guys. I have seen one that looks quite good.... Pure Performance Cars Ltd : AUDI A4 T SPORT 163 EBONY BLACK PEARL CVT NEW GEARBOX

Got a test drive with the above tomorrow, is there anything in particular to look out for on the autobox or 1.8t?

I did think about going for a higher spec B5, but they really don't appeal to me - If I can't find a decent B6 for my money then I think it will be a Golf or back to the civics.

I agree with Colin in what he said, but you might be lucky in your search.

There is no definitive answer to the 1.8T vs 1.9TDi debate, as everyone needs and requirements are different, equally there's nothing wrong with the 2.0 - you don't see many as the 1.9TDi offers the same peformance with better mpg.

The saloons are more affordable than the Avants so you might be lucky :thumbsup: