Newbie here!

GSP1976

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just thought I would say hello as ive just bought a 2005 A4 avent 3.0 diesel, Only had her a few days now and boy am i impressed. She is old, but solid and has many extras like a drop down DVD player, rear seat heaters, BOSE sound system and many others. Paid £4800 for her and I think its well worth the money. Early days I know but I do have plans to get her all cleaned up and looking more presentable.

Gareth

Reactions: Michael Holloway
Welcome.
Go on get some pic's up.
I dont think im allowed, I tried in the "post your car" section but said I had posted spam.

u6SReNl.jpg

mqpqcN0.jpg

oh now it works

Auto, I got sick of pressing the clutch in all the time. Lazy I know but now I can actually enjoy driving again.

Welcome! Looks good.

And also welcome to the bottomless pit ….you'll be fine.

Excellent choice sir.
Manual or slush?

Me too, think of it as the thinking mans GTi

i think it would kick a GTI's *** to be honest, its a right torque monster. But saying that I am coming from a t vectra SRI 150.

I have a few things on my list to do (which is why im here really):

Stereo - find the aux input or Bluetooth, think i have to upgrade the stereo.
Find out what the hell this is.
dpdwqjn.jpg

and do something with the nasty crack.

get rid of the phone holder.
find out if the DVD system still works.
update the satnav, as it cant even find my postcode.

Thanks again guys

Gareth

That piece that's cracked simply pulls out, easily replaceable, does it have chain rattle on start up ?

I wanted to keep the factory stereo/satnav, so I went the aftermarket Bluetooth adapter route, which works good enough.
The guy I bought the car off had already ordered a genuine Audi satnav disc, so all up to date though the system is a little awkward to use.
I find it easier to use the phone, especially now the instructions come through on the sound system.

That piece that's cracked simply pulls out, easily replaceable, does it have chain rattle on start up ?

great i will get one ordered this week. She has covered 90k, so i would imagine the chain tensioner might need doing in the next ten K. but no chain rattle noise so far. i gather thats a good sign?

I wanted to keep the factory stereo/satnav, so I went the aftermarket Bluetooth adapter route, which works good enough.
The guy I bought the car off had already ordered a genuine Audi satnav disc, so all up to date though the system is a little awkward to use.
I find it easier to use the phone, especially now the instructions come through on the sound system.

I have a spare Andriod system in the vectra that i might put in, but like you I want to try keep it original as possible. so may go the adapter route.

Hi guys

Just thought I would say hello as ive just bought a 2005 A4 avent 3.0 diesel, Only had her a few days now and boy am i impressed. She is old, but solid and has many extras like a drop down DVD player, rear seat heaters, BOSE sound system and many others. Paid £4800 for her and I think its well worth the money. Early days I know but I do have plans to get her all cleaned up and looking more presentable.

Gareth
Welcome to audi-sport.net Gareth. Hope you enjoy the forum

Reactions: GSP1976
You haven't got a chain tensioner you have six, engine out job & min £2500 so keep the oil good and fresh, this longlife malarky is bo*****s. Injectors sometimes start dribbling at around 120k, don't want to put a dampener on your pride and joy, enjoy it.
PS been there got the T shirt

Reactions: Charlie Farley
You haven't got a chain tensioner you have six, engine out job & min £2500 so keep the oil good and fresh, this longlife malarky is bo*****s. Injectors sometimes start dribbling at around 120k, don't want to put a dampener on your pride and joy, enjoy it.
PS been there got the T shirt

now that is something i will be keeping good. I will probably do an oil change next month. just for peace of mind more than anything.

I haven't had to do it but there are good threads on here about changing the top tensioners in car, which in many cases is all that's needed(apparently).
The original tensioners have been superceded with improved versions.

Audi ownership , it's all about the " Vorsprung Durch Technik" , oh the joys of it all :whistle2:

So, while out and about yesturday with my friend, he asked "what is the S for on the gear selector?" i havnt a clue i replied. So he proceeded to google. "oh its sport mode" he blurts out. So stood at the traffic lights on a clear sort of road i selected S. Lights went green and i dropped the hammer. "JESSSSUUUZSSS CHRIST" my mate screems out while hitting third gear. Holy crap, the car can move when it wants to. Lol

So, while out and about yesturday with my friend, he asked "what is the S for on the gear selector?" i havnt a clue i replied. So he proceeded to google. "oh its sport mode" he blurts out. So stood at the traffic lights on a clear sort of road i selected S. Lights went green and i dropped the hammer. "JESSSSUUUZSSS CHRIST" my mate screems out while hitting third gear. Holy ****, the car can move when it wants to. Lol

Too true -I think I read somewhere hasn't the 3.0 diesel got more torque than an Aston Martin?

Not sure about the Aston but I did find this:-

maximum power output
232 PS (229 bhp) (171 kW)
at 3500-4000 rpm
Specific output 77.2 bhp/litre
1.26 bhp/cu in
maximum torque 450 Nm (332 ft·lb) (45.9 kgm)
at 1400-3250 rpm
Specific torque 151.67 Nm/litre
1.83 ft·lb/cu3

Still loving the car, I can hardly wait to get out of work so i can drive home. haha

I've played with sport mode, I just thought it held on to the revs for longer.
Very useful when setting up for overtaking but I haven't tried it from standing. Haven't got the roads round here, and the missus doesn't appreciate all that torque, makes her feel queesy.

I've got sport mode with my manual, its called , lots of right foot and lots of left foot inbetween...lol, then watch the fuel consumption go down like a block of lead....

Funny - the sport mode on my 6 speed works just like that Rob....... Still satisfying though.....! :yes:

Reactions: Charlie Farley
And add some booooooooooooost and it's action stations..lol

Welcome buddy. Great choice.

I’ve got the 3.0tdi also. Had to do the top tensioner as mentioned above the first week I owned the car. Not much change from £1000 but solved the rattle and all has been good since. 6 monthly oil changes can’t hurt either.

Get yourself a remap. Really changes these cars. Now runner just shy of 280hp and close to 550Nm

hi and welcome thats a clean looking example looks like it had lots of factory options.