NEWBIE HERE CALLING ALL B5 RS4 OWNERS - PLEASE READ

b5rs4quattro

Reaction score
hi every one, im from bradford, signed up here to ask a few questions.. im currently driving a 300bhp astra vxr, we also have an a3 2.0tdi quattro sportback in the family, previously had an s3 8l shape.. i may be doing a deal on my astra with a b5 rs4 in the very near future, the car is a y reg, has 114k, fsh, running 465bhp, and all other usual rs4 refinements..

so my questions are - is there anything i should pay attention to or look out for on the rs4 which could prove costly afterwards?
any common faults to look out for?
anything else in particular?

you all get the idea..

thankyou all for help, really appreciated

If the car you are referring to is Tom's at German-Marques, the answer is no! The previous owner looked after it meticulously as does Tom.

To be honest though, any job on a B5 can be expensive but the well documented wallet emptying problems can be camshafts ( and followers (driver's bank exhaust cam seems to be favourite)) and turbos (engine out job and some would recommend they should ideally be changed in pairs).

Check for boost leaks as these can lead to premature turbo failure if not addressed promptly.

Plus the usual suspects - EGT's, MAF, lambda's, front suspension arms (4 per side!!), radiator, oil cooler pipes.

If you have access to VAG-Com scan the car for any fault codes on the test drive. Clear any stored codes before the test drive (save the codes first) then rescan after a 'hearty' drive.