Newbie - Help with Alloy wheels - S4 Avant

Iceboy

Reaction score
Hi All,

Newbie question again.

I was going to just refurb the 19" alloys on the car but I have taken fancy to the slight more updated/newer look alloy from an online seller.

The only difference between the alloys wheels is the off-set/ET, current standard wheels are apparently 47 and the new ones I like are 38.

I'm guessing this refers to the mm and the amount they stick in or out of the arch?

So if I go from 47 (which I think is standard) to 38 what will happen?

IceBoy

Assuing you're right about the current wheel having a 47mm offset, the new wheels will stick out an extra 9mm on each side. However, the OEM wheels on my S4 were 43mm offset. If yours are the same, the ones will still out by an extra 5mm each side.

Thanks jdp1962.

Still finding my way with the car and the stats and information. The alloys I have are from factory double five spoke, like the RS4 wheels, 19".

I've just found out that my car is either a launch edition car or one with at least £16,000 of options!!

Thanks jdp1962.

Still finding my way with the car and the stats and information. The alloys I have are from factory double five spoke, like the RS4 wheels, 19".

I've just found out that my car is either a launch edition car or one with at least £16,000 of options!!
The offset (ET number) will be stamped on the inside of one of the spokes; either remove the wheel or position a small mirror behind it to read the code.

Click this link; it might help you identify your wheels. You'll see it has all the specs, offset included, for each wheel.

If it helps, I went from an 18" ET47 to 19" ET33 on my 2014 A4 Avant S-Line 3.0 Diesel.. they look amazing and don't rub or catch anything on full lock and go over speed bumps perfectly..

Your et means nothing without stating the width as well.

Standard 19s are usually 8.5”width et43

If your new wheels are the same 8.5” but et38, the outside of the wheel will sit 5mm further out and the inside will have 5mm more clearance, effectively the same as running a 5mm spacer.

When you also start changing widths as well as your offset, things get a little more complicated but there’s easy ways to work it out.

Make sure your new wheels have the same centre bore if they’re Audi wheels or can fit the right size spigot if not genuine

Thanks for all the help and support.

Brilliant forum, with amazing members....look forward to helping others when I get up to speed......no pun intended!!

IceBoy