Newbie - First Audi

Pubemammal

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have decided to take the plunge into the world of Audi after coming from a background of E30 BMW's! I live in Braintree in Essex and have been trawling these forums for a good few months (without actually registering!). Anyway, I have gone and won this on eBay and I am going to collect it next Saturday, always wanted a turbo engined car. £600... bargain!? Taxed, MOT till next year, service history, cam belt and water pump done 30k ago, brand new tyres.

1998 AUDI A3 1.8T SPORT BLUE | eBay

Plans are - Coilovers, 18" wheels (undecided which ones, RS4 maybe), full service, remap, little things such as grill surround black, and a lot of polishing!

Anyway this is somebody's car from here and is what I'm aiming for within the next two or three months

tapatalk_1367454179447.jpeg

Any tips, advice etc would be much appreciated - what to look for when I go to pick it up etc.

Thanks a lot :)
Sam

Reactions: Sandra
Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. Nice car. Hope you enjoy the forum. :) x

Thanks for the welcomes! Where abouts in Essex matey? Anything I should look out for when I pick the car up? Rust spots? Battery tray, arches? Any signs of worn turbo seals etc?

Cheers :)

You may have found it interesting to see cars similar to yours and what other members have done with said cars. The link was put there for that reason, its your choice if you decide to use it.

Thanks for the welcomes! Where abouts in Essex matey? Anything I should look out for when I pick the car up? Rust spots? Battery tray, arches? Any signs of worn turbo seals etc?

Cheers :)
chelmsford pal ;)
check the bottom edge of the doors where they meet the black trims and along the roof rails between the roof and door tops ( both common spots )
look for smoke on idle after a hard drive , pull the dipstick out and take off the oil cap for signs of breathing ( fumes and vapour from either )
mayonaise type stuff on the coolant cap ,
wet footwell carpets are an easy fix so don't be alarmed
cant think of much else ;)
I have a code reader if you ever need it just ask ;)
baz

No I didn't mean that! I mean the link is nothing to do with meets or other peoples cars! I would love to see what other people have done

chelmsford pal ;)
check the bottom edge of the doors where they meet the black trims and along the roof rails between the roof and door tops ( both common spots )
look for smoke on idle after a hard drive , pull the dipstick out and take off the oil cap for signs of breathing ( fumes and vapour from either )
mayonaise type stuff on the coolant cap ,
wet footwell carpets are an easy fix so don't be alarmed
cant think of much else ;)
I have a code reader if you ever need it just ask ;)
baz

Brilliant thanks buddy. Only up the road then! When you say check bottoms of doors and along roof rails... Is this for corrosion or to see if doors have dropped?

Brilliant thanks buddy. Only up the road then! When you say check bottoms of doors and along roof rails... Is this for corrosion or to see if doors have dropped?
opps yeah sorry , corrosion .
The clips that hold the bottom door trim on are rubbish design and allow the black trim to move and rub the paint off thus letting water in and rust to grow :(
baz

Ah ha I see. Sounds like a bit of a hiccup by audi ! :eek: Can't wait to get it. It has done a fair few miles but does have service history... Would it be a recipe for disaster to get the ecu remapped at such a high mileage?

Just spoke to the seller... It is infact an AGU... stronger internals but can't get as much power from a remap as an AUM? Which one has the better turbo? Is the AGU more reliable due to the stronger internal parts?

The turbo (k03) holds it back ,
k03s or even better k04 isn't that hard ,
the head and bottom end are capable of massive power given the right ancillarys .
Just a straightforward remap isn't the biggest power gainer on an agu no but is the base for stupid power if your pockets are deep enough.
Mild fast road mods = silicone TIP , fmic , decat, air filter , brakes , suspension and a remap :D
baz

The turbo (k03) holds it back ,
k03s or even better k04 isn't that hard ,
the head and bottom end are capable of massive power given the right ancillarys .
Just a straightforward remap isn't the biggest power gainer on an agu no but is the base for stupid power if your pockets are deep enough.
Mild fast road mods = silicone TIP , fmic , decat, air filter , brakes , suspension and a remap :D
baz

Thanks for all your advice. Will start with remap, suspension and air filter I think. Hopefully hit about 180bhp?!

That's crazy Lol. Obviously capable of ridiculous power. Thanks a lot for all your help buddy :) can't wait to get the thing and get stuck in!