Newbie after advice

Whodafunk

Reaction score
Hi there everyone

Ive just bought a 2007 Audi A3 DSG 3.2 V6 Quattro with 57k on the clock. Its very nice indeed and already lovng my purchase.

Ive been doing some research on what oil to use and cannot find a conclusive answer. The general consesus seems to be 5w30 fully synthetic, but what does 503, 503.01, 504 etc mean, and do I need longlife spec?

What does longlife actually mean, does this mean the service intervals are extended, or that it prolongs the life of the engine?

Cheers

Welcome to ASN.

Here's the oil thread....

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/ultimate-final-8p-oil-thread.221763/

Ideally something like Castrol Edge 5/30W and fully synthetic as you've guessed.

I wouldn't go with long service intervals,and I usually have the oil changed at 10k miles or less.
All that longlife means is extended service intervals,and if you see what comes out of the engine after 20k miles,you wouldn't want it again.

Reactions: Donny_DJ
That's great, thanks.

How do you reset the oil service indicator?

Love my V6 , great drive

Service light reset is covered in the Owners Manual.
Oil grades 503, 504 etc. are preceded by VW and are printed on the oil bottle/can. There are now numerous makers of our oil out there. Even ASDA do VW507.504 grades for £17 for 5litres.
A few more here in 6 litre packs.http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pv-98491-...vehicleid=17912&yearfilter=2006&FitmentNotes=

Long Life oil does not prolong the engines life, regular oil changes do.

Reactions: S3Alex
Thanks for the link, its a great price too.

I've done several oil changes over the years. Routinely I did them twice a year with my last car, but that was a diesel.

Is there a how to guide on here, or is there anything special I need before I start the job? Where is the filter and what tool will I need?

Thanks for the the link, that's perfect. Just received my Mobil 5w30 oil and filter from Opie. I shall be doing this job as soon as I get a nice day

Sometimes pressing the buttons on the clocks doesn't reset the service indicator and you will need to find someone with vcds or ask a local garage to do it for you.