1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbe from Wigan. Bought a lemon.

A3newbe Oct 24, 2018

1. A3newbe

A3newbe New Member

Hi Everyone. Bought the 1st Audi i have ever owned at a bargain price. :)
    Been paying ever since. :-(
    Suspect i will need all the help i can get

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Sandra

Sandra Administrator Staff Member Administrator TeamMisano TFSI Owners Group Audi S3 quattro Platinum Supporter S tronic Audi Main Dealer

Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. Any pics? What year is the car? Enjoy the forum :)

4. Dunedin

Dunedin Member TFSI Owners Group Audi A3 S-line owners group

Welcome to the Forum, what problems you having ?
    The forum is packed with experience I'm sure you will find help, A3 is s good car so here's hoping you will start enjoying it, get some pics up

Sandra likes this.
  5. A3newbe

A3newbe New Member

Hi, I don't have any pics to hand but will take one and post it, its a Blue 2009 A3 Convertible sport. Was looking for a nice straight white A3 diesel convertible for the wife and spotted a cheap one with a few issues but seemed straight so being "Relatively Handy" thought i would have it for myself (usually drive french cars worth about the same as a good pair of socks) Picked it up, bit of smoke but thinking vw 1.9 diesels to be bullet proof not over worried, progressed to bottom end knocking very quickly to broke down less than 10 miles from buying it at the other end of the country. Got it transported 330 miles home. After searching for a BLS engine and another long drive to get it, fitted the 2nd hand engine myself (1st time ever) for it to smoke like a good un when warm with top end tappet y noise, then a bang. Two engines down and i have not driven 30 miles. :-(
    To add insult to injury all wheels had lockers on without a key, ,snapped a 1m breaker bar removing drive shaft bolt, impact gun wouldn't touch it snapped impact extension . GRRrrrr I now have the bottom end of one engine with the head off the other, the insides of one turbo to the exhaust manifold of the other, the best DMF with a new clutch and pressure plate. Now runs fine no smoke and i have got it Mot'd.
    However there is noise from the DMF/release bearing, they gave me the wrong clutch 4 times and i ended up re-fitting the original release bearing and the best dmf which "seemed" good but apart from slight clutch noise it now runs fine.
    Things to do:-
    I have a DMF conversion kit to fit when i get chance.
    Buy/Fit aftermarket android stereo and reversing camera.
    Steering wheel with media controls and modules if necessary and Cruise control retrofit.
    Re-map. (Need to adjust timing before as torsion value is always 0) out of limits i believe.
    Fit removable tow bar rear trim and tow bar.
    Recondition my "spare" BLS engine, needs a head recon, crank re-grind and or 1 2 con rods.

Hopefully before it breaks down again..

6. Dunedin

Dunedin Member TFSI Owners Group Audi A3 S-line owners group

Jeez, you really haven't had a good start, it sounds like it hasn't had the best of care from previous owner, you've had a good chance to get to know the car and now you have seen what needs done and you have a plan to get it right. Good luck with the mods they will be a bit more enjoyable to do as its not a forced purchase.