Newb to this section, new black S3 swirl marks!!!

ConorA

Reaction score
hi all,

Picked up my new s3 about 2 months ago and it is absolutely covered in swirl marks! Not happy!

Wanting some advise on how to sort it?

After some research It looks like I could remove them with a DA polisher?

Just wondered whether it is wise to use this as it is such a new car or does it not matter?

Any advise would be much appreciated?

I'm a complete newb into detailing but I want to start cleaning the car myself to avoid this.

Also if anyone knows where I could rent one or borrow one for a day would be much appreciated?

Cheers!

Where are you based mate? I'm in Maidstone Kent and would be happy to help you out.

Take it back to the garage where you bought it and get them to pay for a professional detailer to do it . or go with any offer you get of help .

hi all,

Picked up my new s3 about 2 months ago and it is absolutely covered in swirl marks! Not happy!

Wanting some advise on how to sort it?

After some research It looks like I could remove them with a DA polisher?

Just wondered whether it is wise to use this as it is such a new car or does it not matter?

Any advise would be much appreciated?

I'm a complete newb into detailing but I want to start cleaning the car myself to avoid this.

Also if anyone knows where I could rent one or borrow one for a day would be much appreciated?

Cheers!

Hey bud,

As the previous comments before me suggest - might be worth getting the dealer to sort it out! Had the same issue as you on my new S1 last month, but after looking at their 'valeting' team, I took the decision not to let them damage it any more!

If you wanted to go down the route of trying to do it yourself, I'd be happy to help with advice and point you in the right direction. It's our bread and butter after all! :)

Feel free to call us if you need to. Office number is 02392 205165, ask for either myself or Jon.

Matt.

Hi Leebo,

I live in Watford so not to far!

I would love a hand what do you propose?

Hey bud,

As the previous comments before me suggest - might be worth getting the dealer to sort it out! Had the same issue as you on my new S1 last month, but after looking at their 'valeting' team, I took the decision not to let them damage it any more!

If you wanted to go down the route of trying to do it yourself, I'd be happy to help with advice and point you in the right direction. It's our bread and butter after all! :)

Feel free to call us if you need to. Office number is 02392 205165, ask for either myself or Jon.

Matt.

i am getting in contact with them now!

thanks all for the advise and shall keep you all updated!

i would also like to learn, so i have it under my belt too

Reactions: Matt@Slim'sDetailing
Hi Leebo,

I live in Watford so not to far!

I would love a hand what do you propose?
You're more than welcome to come to mine whenever is good for you mate! I have a double garage so decent conditions to work in and then I'm happy for you to have a go with my Rupes and give you some pointers and stuff.

Reactions: Schlaag and Lastkill21
Hi what's the latest with your S3, any joy from the dealership?
I picked up my brand new A7 earlier this month and it had swirl marks all over and I mentioned it to the dealer and they said it's to do with the mettallic paint and how the light retracts off it, I wasn't convinced but wanted to drive away my new toy. But I am unhappy it has swirl marks.

Would be keen to hear what your luck has been like with your dealership.

Cheers!

Hi what's the latest with your S3, any joy from the dealership?
I picked up my brand new A7 earlier this month and it had swirl marks all over and I mentioned it to the dealer and they said it's to do with the mettallic paint and how the light retracts off it, I wasn't convinced but wanted to drive away my new toy. But I am unhappy it has swirl marks.

Would be keen to hear what your luck has been like with your dealership.

Cheers!

I wouldn't expect much from the dealers...
I picked up my new car a couple of months ago and despite asking them not to do any prep to it, then washed it and it was covered in minor swirls all over. Just in the process of correcting it myself before applying a tough ceramic to protect it for the future.

Even if you did a whole paint correction and had it perfect, one trip to the dealer for their 'valet clean' will have it back to square one in no time....

I imagine a very large proportion of people don't notice the minor imperfections like us OCD folk, so can't imagine they take the time to correct it. Your choices are to DIY or pay for a detailer local to you.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I wouldn't expect much from the dealers...
I picked up my new car a couple of months ago and despite asking them not to do any prep to it, then washed it and it was covered in minor swirls all over. Just in the process of correcting it myself before applying a tough ceramic to protect it for the future.

Even if you did a whole paint correction and had it perfect, one trip to the dealer for their 'valet clean' will have it back to square one in no time....

I imagine a very large proportion of people don't notice the minor imperfections like us OCD folk, so can't imagine they take the time to correct it. Your choices are to DIY or pay for a detailer local to you.
@DrEskimo - Agreed :thumbs up:

At least I'm not the only one who won't let the Dealer anywhere near their cars
This is how I had my new S4 delivered -

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...n-saloon-my-thread.240456/page-6#post-2476647

Reactions: Ibb and DrEskimo
My dealer was really nice, but I was dying inside when I came to the dealership and he was wiping the bottom with a dirty MF cloth.....

Reactions: Ibb
I got a reply from my dealership, and he is being really cool with it, offering to polish it and re-apply the AutoGlym lifeshine.
What do you reckon guys.
Worried some kid will swirl it up again.
Would I be right to ask for an external detailer to do the work and they pay the bill?

hmmmm not sure I would. Problem is it takes a lot of time to get it looking like a professional detail. Unfortunately the bulk of cars Audi have to do means they can never invest that sort of time and care into the 'paint protection' they offer.

While on paper, they charge silly amounts for the life guard thing, in reality the kit is about £30 and they probably spend anywhere between 1-2hrs to apply it, meaning they make a good amount of profit. Getting them to actually pay £300-£400 for a proper 12hr+ detail will probably be tricky....

Reactions: Ibb and Bristle Hound
I wonder how stubborn they'd be if you went all in with your hand and told them to either stump up for pro detail to make good their cockup or take the motor back, you'd obviously have to make them believe that you actually would indeed throw the vehicle back in their face though? I'm stubborn nowadays and would probably cut my nose off to spoil my face if the marks were that much of a wind up t'me!

I would go to the salesman and state that it should have been done right first time and you are not happy and have series doubts that they could do it to a better standard , that they will be taking more clearcote off and you want it done professionally ,
Do a bit of research and find a detailer that you want to do it and get a written quote to get it done,

Reactions: Ibb and Bristle Hound
I booked mine in for its oil change today and the guy asked if I wanted the complementary 'valet and hoover'? Obviously it was a no, but stressed under no circumstances to touch the cars paint. I take a PDI sheet in when I drop my cars off so they know what condition it was in when I left it. Plus photos are taken of every wheel.

Reactions: Scottyg
It'll be printed off tomorrow. Thanks buddy. At least they ask now, instead of just doing it anyway.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
How did you get on with this? Are the dealers paying to get it done properly ?