New York City

d3fy

Reaction score
Website
d3fy.co.uk
All,

Off to NYC at the end of January for a week, for those that have been what is a most do, and what is an avoid? Any tips, any nice places to eat. We are staying just across the road from Macys.

Also does anyone know how much cheaper a submariner would be?

Cheers

Hi mate, I am off to NYC middle of Jan.. Stopping in Times Square I can wait

Normal things to do such as Empire State etc etc

As for the rolex, I am not sure, with the way the ££ is compared to te $$ i would imagine it will be cheaper... but how much I have no idea. Also there is no real waiting list in the US for a Sub.. so should be able to walk into a shop and buy one.

Do me a favour and if you pass a jewlers have a look at how much a sub with date is and let me know - can't wait to go, first time¬!

No problems mate, I am looking at a Sub Date... Just dont tell the girlfriend!!

Empire state is a must do. I went before 9/11 but friends who have been since say ground zero is a must. Apparently it's very moving and a bit upsetting but def a must see.

I'm trying to persuade my wife to go next winter ;)

Hope you enjoy your trip :thumbsup:

Ground Zero is worth seeing... very moving place as what has been said!

Do the Statten Island Ferry (sp?), it's free and you can see the Statue of Liberty from a distance and the skyline really well-
If you're a fan of Italian food you have to go and eat in Little Italy, find a nice restaurant and splash some cash, you won't regret it
I personally love the Sopranos, if you do, try and get on the tour-
Also, if you do the Empire at night, don't be afraid to get in one of the dodgy looking limos, they're really not dodgy they're just people waiting to collect their main fare later on. In the mean time, they're just lookin to make a fast buck!
For not much more than a cab or a tube you can get dropped back at your hotel in style!
GOD IM JEALOUS, I LOVE NEW YOOOORK! HOPEFULLY GOIN BACK IN DECEMBER

Yep Ive been there, some of the most beautiful women you are likely to see kick about in manhattan.... if you have a beard, wear a turban or look even remotely asian pack one of these
INOTTEBTN.jpg

Cheers it would be a really short ride as we are only staying one block away from the empire states building. Will do the staten island ferry, will also do the food in china town and little italy. Who does the best pizza pie then?

As you're going for a week, make sure you a get a subway week-long ticket. We paid around $13 for this in 2002 (the price might have changed since), but it's brilliant value - unlimited use of the subway for seven days. Note that if you're staying near the Empire State, Penn Street station is nearby and a quick way of reaching the subway.

As for places to visit, in addition to the above Central Park is great - especially the little zoo in the middle - and it should look stunning in winter. The upper east side has some cool restaurants and bars too.

We also walked across Brooklyn Bridge which was fab. The traffic rushes by underneath you halfway across!

My fave place in New York was Greenwich Village so much more chilled than the rest of the island

Every year...I go to NYC for a week for work.

At first it was cool...but once the new wore off, its just a big hassle now.

I just dont care much for the "big city" lifestyle.

As far as things to do...I got to sit in the SNL and David Letterman studio audiance. Was alot of fun to see how things work behind the scenes.

I think you will find that a rolex submariner will be about the same as home as they are generally a fixed price everywhere. I tend to buy my watches in either Dubai or the uk(then claim vat back) I got my Breitling Navitimer for 2250 which is 1000 cheaper than at home and also 2 Tags which were both a good bit cheaper. Currently trying to buy a GMT master 2 which is about 600 cheaper here although hard to get the one i want. Enjoy NYC its great for a holiday

thats not 5th ave, that park avenue, and its the audi forum!

new york is amazing city, i go 2 or 3 times a year!

my best place has to be china town, just slowly wander thru it and see how everything is so different from the 5th avenue of new york! the poor to the rich, the amount of counterfit goods!

one thing to avoid would be central park zoo, a big let down!

statue of liberty get there as it opens as the first 100 people actually get to go up the statue, again its the first 100 people so go later on and expect not to get up it.

empire state building, superb, but save it for a dry cloud free day and u will see for miles

time sqaure a good starting point, look around haggle with the shops, well the digital shops!

food wise u need to try a
2-354.jpg

locations-> http://www.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&lr=&q=famiglia+pizza&near=New+York,+NY,+USA&sa=X&oi=local&ct=title
One of the best pizza pies u will ever try!

Also

thats not 5th ave, that park avenue, and its the audi forum!

new york is amazing city, i go 2 or 3 times a year!

my best place has to be china town, just slowly wander thru it and see how everything is so different from the 5th avenue of new york! the poor to the rich, the amount of counterfit goods!

one thing to avoid would be central park zoo, a big let down!

statue of liberty get there as it opens as the first 100 people actually get to go up the statue, again its the first 100 people so go later on and expect not to get up it.

empire state building, superb, but save it for a dry cloud free day and u will see for miles

time sqaure a good starting point, look around haggle with the shops, well the digital shops!

food wise u need to try a

locations-> http://www.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&lr=&q=famiglia+pizza&near=New+York,+NY,+USA&sa=X&oi=local&ct=title
One of the best pizza pies u will ever try!

Also take a good pair of trainers with you, and enjoy walkin places. We would jump the subway (which is very cheap) and head to the stanton island ferry point and walk back to times sqaure.

Try and catch a sports event at madison sq garden and buy ur tickets from the garden not the touts!

I have loads more info if u want it!

I was a bit disappointed with the Statue of Liberty, you can't really go up it, just onto the pedestal. Take your time up the empire state building, the commentary from "Tony" the cabbie is really good. The week long subway ticket is a must (about $24 last year).

Balthazar is a really nice place to eat, as is Jospeh's pizza parlour for good pizza. The mark joseph steak house at South Street Seaport was good too.

Mike

We did all the usual tourist stuff but ice skating outdoors at the Rockerfella centre at night was pretty cool.

Super stuff, keep it coming. I'm not bothered about the liberty or Ellis Island. I will be doing the staten island ferry, the walk across the brooklyn bridge, empire states, skating, central park wander, I was also going to do the helicopter ride? Anyone done it, night or day?

Horse and carriage ride round central park is good if you're with a Doris. And we went outdoor ice skating at Central park as well. Grand central station is worth a look cos when you're in there you feel as if you've been there before cos of all the film scenes that have been shot in there.

The Gugenheim is cool as well, it's that spiral shaped building in the opening scene of Men in Black. I'm not actually that cultured but my ex loved all that sort of ****. :yes:

A3simon said:
I think you will find that a rolex submariner will be about the same as home as they are generally a fixed price everywhere. I tend to buy my watches in either Dubai or the uk(then claim vat back) I got my Breitling Navitimer for 2250 which is 1000 cheaper than at home and also 2 Tags which were both a good bit cheaper. Currently trying to buy a GMT master 2 which is about 600 cheaper here although hard to get the one i want. Enjoy NYC its great for a holiday

But from what I can see, no delays in getting one, they have stock. They are more open to a deal (10%-12%) of list. Puts a Sub-Date at about just shy of 2.5k

Top of the Rock - Rockerfella observation deck, much better view of central park then Empire. (used in movies for the aerial shots of Manhattan with Empire in the middle)

Toys"R"Us in Times Square has some pretty cool stuff to see.

FAO Schwarz (www.fao.com) at 58&5th is a good place to buy gifts for the family.

As recommended on a similar thread here last year I spent a lot of money at B&H superstore (www.bhphotovideo.com) on 34&9th

Also recommended the gray line tour downtown loop, you can get off for the Statton Island ferry and then walk back to see the WTC1,2&7 site because there is nothing to see from the bus on your way there!

Did the helicopter ride out over the Statue of liberty and around lower Manhatten with liberty helicopters. One of the best experiences of my life. As well as the staten island ferry there is Emerald lines that does a tour of the whole of Manhatten island which is excellent, as well as going to the Statue of liberty,its just up the road from liberty helicopters on the west side of Manhatten. Also if you like planes etc go and visit the USS intrepid, its a WWII aircraft carrier with plenty of planes on exhibit including the original of the SR71 blackbird. The first american ballistic missile submarine is also there and you can get a tour on this as well.
If you are going to buy electronics avoid the shops aroung Time square as these are tourist traps and alot of their stuff can be factory recondtioned (this advice is from my cousin who is a Lieutenant in the NYPD) go for one of the big chains such as Circuit City which has a shop in lower manhatten and a website to check prices before you go
The empire state at night is excellent and the queues are much smaller. Limo companies are a good way to travel if you are travelling outside the city limits
The open top bus tour is also a good way to see Manhatten as you can jump off at any point around the island and then catch the next one
A good place to stop and watch the world go by is to have a drink in Micheal Jordans bar in Grand Central station. If your going with your girlfriend/partner and you fancy a heartattack take them to Tiffanys to price the jewellery.
The Natural history Museum on the west side of Central Park is good but the Rose planetarium is its best bit

the bus tours are a great way to travel about for 3days at 49dollars, but it gives u the nite tour, uptown tour, downtown tour and brooklyn tour
http://www.coachusa.com/newyorksightseeing/

and if u take a back pack with u, when u enter tiffany's remove it and carry at ur waist as its rude to have it on ur back incase of hitting someone!

tiffany's is a superb shop my gf likes to empty my wallet in there alot and same goes with the shop across the road mr vuitton's shop lol

the nba shop is a good shop to visit, some nice memobrilla in it!

u have also got to try a pretzel from the carts! wow!!!

I went to NY in February 2001, one of the best things I`ve done in my life with-out-a-doubt. Its an awesome place, even snowed when we were there. We were stayin in Manhattan in a pretty nice hotel, I was 21 and with a loads of mates from college

We were only there for 3 days which is nowhere nr long enough. I spent about half a day going out to the statue, climbing all the way up and then coming back across. Would have been rude not to though

We got approached by quite a few dodgy guys on the streets at night once they heard our English accents, we got offered, crack, women, coke, you name it

Have fun, would be hard not too!

If I bought a xbox360 whilst out there would it work when I came back, whats the crack with power supply etc?

d3fy said:
If I bought a xbox360 whilst out there would it work when I came back, whats the crack with power supply etc?

USA is 110v and NTSC, EU/UK is 220v and PAL, you can get around this with multi-standard TV's and power convertors but its prolly not worth the hassle...

I doubt it would be worth importing once you add in the cost of a UK PSU or a transformer capable of 203W,
plus the 360 is damn heavy so will probably put you overweight for luggage.
The DVD player will be region 1 aswell.

Yeah I would recommend a bus tour in the first couple of days as it will help you see a lot in a short space of time and decide where you want to go back to.

Also helps you get your bearings.

Is Grayline of something tours.

New%20York%20New%20York%20284.jpg

ground zero

Empire state (view from)

New%20York%20New%20York%20418.jpg

Thanks TRS1

Statten Island Ferry (view from)
New%20York%20New%20York%20311.jpg

Thanks gunshowgunshow

Central Park
New%20York%20New%20York%20155.jpg

Brooklyn Bridge (too cold, will do next time)

Thanks benw123benw123

tiffany's
time sqaure
New%20York%20New%20York%20041.jpg

china town
New%20York%20New%20York%20356.jpg

Thanks loafyloafy

New%20York%20New%20York%20073.jpg

grand central station (poor light, crap piccy)

Thanks Smitch

New%20York%20New%20York%20457.jpg

Chrysler building (the best building in NYC!)

Thanks Geordie Mike

Thanks NEiLS3LK51
Top of the Rock (looking at the empire states building)
New%20York%20New%20York%20226.jpg

FAO Schwarz
New%20York%20New%20York%20141.jpg

Toys"R"Us in Times Square