1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New windscreen question

Riko0073 Apr 17, 2019

1. Riko0073

Riko0073 Well-Known Member Sportback Team Nardo Audi RS3

Good evening guys

Picked up a nasty crack in the front screen so going to have to get this replaced via insurance.

Other than matching the correct tint etc I recall reading that the fitter may have to recalibrate something?

Presumably it’s an Auto Windscreens job, will they have the tools to do any recalibration and what needs recalibration if at all?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. maui

maui Active Member TFSI Owners Group S-line owners group saloon Audi A4

Just had mine done, the lease company had some third party and I then had to get it recalibrated by Audi, so two appointments / length of time without car...

Push on getting it recalibrated. IIRC I read somewhere that Auto Windscreens have a number of figment places which include calibration equipment. They should offer a 1 hit appointment for both.

Don’t rely on ‘most are fine without calibration’ - it would mean taking it to a fitting centre where the screen and calibration are done - might even end up being your local dealership.

Riko0073 likes this.
  4. Robbe

Robbe Well-Known Member Team Daytona Team V6 Audi S4 Audi A4

Had mine done last year through auto glass. Have to take the car to a local centre to fix the glass and then do the recalibration. Takes about 2+ hours.

Riko0073 likes this.
  5. Riko0073

Thanks guys, I’ll make the point when I book it..but what is it in the windscreen that need recalibrating?

6. Robbe

It’s the camera above the rain sensor. Used for pre sense etc.

Riko0073 likes this.
  7. Riko0073

Cheers mate

Robbe likes this.
  8. cosmicblue

cosmicblue Well-Known Member Audi RSQ3 5 Cylinder

Demand an OEM screen rather than a pattern replacement too - the Windscreen companies usually have to order the screen in, but will do it.

cuke2u likes this.
  9. RS3 S.

RS3 S. Well-Known Member SQ5 owners group Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Audi Q5 S tronic

...........as above insist on a genuine Audi screen. When i collected my SQ5 i noticed a small chip on the screen even tho it was reported on the ''149 point'' check. Said change it for a genuine replacment or keep the car after a bit of hassel they agreed & it was changed,at a main dealer but never had any problems with it.

10. Robbe

Only issue with insisting on a genuine screen is that you will be asked to pay the difference between the standard and OEM. I asked this question when I got mine replaced. The mentioned that it would have to be costed and then sent to the insurance company to see if they would accept the extra cost. if not I would have to pay. My crack was massive so went with the screen they supplied and had no issues.

RS3 S. likes this.
  11. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group S-line owners group saloon Audi A4

I think it depends upon the insurance company...

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. RS3 S.

RS3 S. Well-Known Member SQ5 owners group Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Audi Q5 S tronic

.....for the extra cost I would, best to keep o.e.

14. Riko0073

Thanks guys, I’ve never had any issues with non oem windscreens in the past but would be nice if it was I guess, I’ll ask the question but not too fussed to be honest.

15. LukeHawk

LukeHawk Member Team Ibis TFSI Owners Group Audi A4

I did this recently. An aftermarket screen will require re-calibration to get the camera/sensors for auto lights etc to work. If you are going from an official windscreen to another official windscreen, calibration should not be required, as long as the windscreen is installed correctly.

I found that the dealer I got my car from installed an aftermarket windscreen to fix stone chips. It caused a consistent "Audi Adaptive Light Fault" and "Main Beam Assist Fault" That wouldn't go away. I demanded an official windscreen be put on the car (It's still under motor plan), and the faults went away without any calibration necessary.

Richard46 likes this.
  16. Nham68

Nham68 Active Member Team V6 Audi S4

I had an Audi OEM replacement for my S4 recently. Had to be recalibrated. The fact your error codes went away without calibration could purely down to tolerances being a close match to the original .

17. Riko0073

Well had a drive in the dark last night and was constantly getting flashed since having the new screen fitted (not oem) as the matrix lights didn’t seem to be their usual job, seemed to take longer to dim the beam and even when it did was only a small area so still blinding other drivers!!

Will call insurance company Monday, if it can’t be resolved with a further recalibration then will insist on a oem replacement screen.

18. Riko0073

UPDATE - following a re-visit to the windscreen repairer and a trip out last night in the dark it was obvious the matrix lights still aren’t working properly!

The windscreen repairer in their defense are being very helpful and have mentioned an oem screen could be fitted to see if this resolved the issue.

My insurance company have been useless but the repairer are taking responsibility to resolve and re-booked in for a 3rd time this Thursday .

Surely this shouldn’t be something that is a such a problem??

19. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group S-line owners group saloon Audi A4

No it shouldn't, any competent windscreen replacement company should have up to date information, training and equipment to know what different manufacturers windscreens require.

If a OEM screen is required then I am still not sure, if the camera hasn't been correctly calibrated, this will fix all your issues. On the other hand you could ask them if they would pay for you to take the car to a Audi dealership to have these issues corrected. Same goes for the insurance company really as your policy is with them...

Riko0073 likes this.
  20. Riko0073

Yes already checked with my local Audi dealer who charge £210 + vat for the calibration, I’ll put this to the repairer if they would prefer this route and they can pick up the cost.

cuke2u likes this.
  21. BigAardvaark

BigAardvaark Active Member Team Scuba Audi A4

It sounds like it's out by a smidgeon, I can imagine the tiniest of movements when the screen's being replaced can make all the difference to a system that seems to use actual magic as its main way of functioning.

I insisted mine was OEM Audi branded glass and done at the dealers so calibration could be done immediately afterwards. All fine for me, Matrix behaves as it should. My situation was slightly different in fairness, in that it wasn't picked up on the "exacting, meticulous" Audi Approved checks. That didn't stop them asking if I would claim for it on my insurance and they'd pay the excess though!!

Last edited: May 20, 2019